Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is galvanizing really that expensive?

Is galvanizing really that expensive?

Hello All,I am getting trailer repairs done and I wanted to have the new chassis galvanised.All advice so far is that it would $1000+ to get a simple chassis galvanized.Simple 4.3m boat trailer at the Gold Coast.Why is gal so expensive?Am I being told fibs?

Re: Is galvanizing really that expensive?

They have to acid bath the trailer to clean all the grease / paint / rust off it, then hot dip it in a tank, yes that is probably the sort of money you are looking at.

And I dont reckon it last much longer than killrust paint anyway.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Do you know approx. how much the trailer weighs all up?
    My work gets a lot of steel galvanised all the time, they weigh the item after is has been galvanised and we get charged a $ rate per ton.
    Our rate at the moment is a bit uder $800/t but they may not offer that to walk in public, but it is a value for you to compare against.

Also if you request an overnight or 3 day turnaround they will apply a surcharge as opposed to the usual 5 day turnaround.
    This doesn't include pickup or delivery.

All this applies to the galvanising places around brisbane, I wouldn't expect the gold coast to be much different.

I got a tinny trailer done down here and it was under $500, not too sure if galvanizing should be that much more expensive up your way, by the way, it was for a 3.7m tinny, but everything was new, but the job included lots of brackets and odds and ends like guards and stuff. If the old trailer is rusty, it has to be sand blasted first, the acid dip does not remove heavy rust, but old gal and stuff comes off in a jiffy.

I got some quotes when refurbing my trailer a few years ago, I too was shocked at the cost but to top it off both galvinisers I spoke to pretty much warned me not to bother as re-galving older trailers not guranteed to be that effective???

So I pantied with 2-pac epoxy insatead with goood results.

Hello All,

thanks for the replies.
    The trailer is for a Webster Twinfisher catamaran, skids with helper rollers at the back.
    The front a-frame of the trailer is still good, the back is pretty rusty.
    My intention is to copy the back with new steel and get that much galv. and then weld it onto the existing front a-frame.
    Very simple, two longitudinals + three cross pieces, all new material, no bending required.
    The a-frame is the hard part to fabricate, so leave it alone and re-use it.
    I will re-use axles, mudguards, springs, wheels and the Teflon skids and the tunnel guides.

So far the repairers that I have spoken to have been very helpful, but say that the galv. is for too expensive, build it in Duragal and treat the welds with cold gal.
    This seems to be sound advice and I am just waiting for quotes.

Hello Crunchie,

I have no intention of having my boat trailer pantied.
    I like it but not that much.

Cold gal is useless, rebuild, re-galvanize the lot, go boating...

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello Crunchie,

I have no intention of having my boat trailer pantied.
    I like it but not that much.
    It was a painful experience that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello All,I am getting trailer repairs done and I wanted to have the new chassis galvanised.All advice so far is that it would $1000+ to get a simple chassis galvanized.Simple 4.3m boat trailer at the Gold Coast.Why is gal so expensive?Am I being told fibs?
    Mate I had my trailer done for a 7m boat and had many roller brackets and bits. All up weight was 750kg and it cost me $990 bucks. Trailer was 10.5m long and built out of 150x50 RHS and 100x50 channel. I sent photos and measurements to a couple of different places and the price can vary. I had my trailer done at a place near the Brisbane airport. They did a good job. It cost me $500 to transport there and back so the cost of the actual galvanising was not bad for $900.

More than 1 way to skin a cat. Painting processes have their use in salt water/salt air. Just has to be a good product done right. I am confident my painted trailer will outlast the hot dipped trailers I have had. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I agree with Noelm, may as well buy silver spray paint if your going to try cold gal.

I did what you are proposing about ten years ago to a Tinka trailer which had rusted out thewater end of the trailer....cut off the rusted horizontals well back ...replaced with the same section and I reinforced the join with a piece of plate welded underneath at right angles along the RHS.Had the whole lot stripped and galved ,not a problem since....But galvanising layer does get eaten up in the corrosion protection process so I will need to have the trailer deck only regalved soon..before it rusts again..If the trailer deck weighs 150kg....will cost about $300 to have stripped and regalved locally (vic) or about $30.00 /yr for protection and peace of mind.....you would spend more than that on cold galv and it still wouldnt last.

thanks for the replies.
    The trailer is for a Webster Twinfisher catamaran, skids with helper rollers at the back.
    The front a-frame of the trailer is still good, the back is pretty rusty.
    My intention is to copy the back with new steel and get that much galv. and then weld it onto the existing front a-frame.
    Very simple, two longitudinals + three cross pieces, all new material, no bending required.
    The a-frame is the hard part to fabricate, so leave it alone and re-use it.
    I will re-use axles, mudguards, springs, wheels and the Teflon skids and the tunnel guides.

So far the repairers that I have spoken to have been very helpful, but say that the galv. is for too expensive, build it in Duragal and treat the welds with cold gal.
    This seems to be sound advice and I am just waiting for quotes.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Our rate at the moment is a bit uder $800/t but they may not offer that to walk in public, but it is a value for you to compare against.
    Trailers are classed as a 3d object in the bath......takes your $800 / tonne rate up to about $2200 / tonne.

I get on average $10k to $20k per month put through the galvanizers. My rate on 3d is quite good but it is still a bit more than double my std rate.

Industrial Galvanizers investigated a fixed price for boat trailers a few years back, I don't know if that still applies.
    Jack.

The quoted price seems high crocodile. I had a quote recently (I'm in Melb) to re-gal a 7mtr boat trailer. I was going to do the guards as well as all the uprights for the rollers and the angled rear skids. $890.