Thread: Southern Bay Saturday

Southern Bay Saturday

Being a busy long weekend I only had time for a bay trip yesterday so off me and the neighbor went out to our first stop to get some live bait around the spoil grounds. Bait was a bit sporadic until after sunrise and due to the shows on the sounder we decided to anchor up for a while.

Livies were getting better but we had no takers in the surface despite a few long tails in the vicinity which was frustrating and send one down below only ended up in some big Bream (30+ cms) being caught and released.

Things started to change when the light line with a unweighted pilchard went for a brief run and then stopped and winding in revealed a cleanly bitten line - time for the gang hooks to come out!

This was the right call and I was soon rewarded with a nice big schoolies off a couple of good runs on 10lb. This was quickly followed by a couple more and a bonus 48cm Snapper so the day was looking up. The Mackerel seemed to be coming through in batches and with four in the esky we sat back and enjoyed the whales heading towards the southern bay. Great to see them breaching in the bay and it looked like they were having a great time.

While watching the whales by small line goes utterly nuts with plenty of line getting taken. Pretty much knew straight away this was no Schoolie and another run saw him under the anchor rope and the two of us on the boat passing rods forward and back and under anchor lines etc. Would have looked piss funny to anyone watching.

At this stage I was calling a Longtail but as the fish got closer to the boat it was a big Mackeral - well above the normal size we had been catching. After another couple of runs (this was on 10lb braid 20lb leader) I got the fish to the boat for a gaff shot and it was onboard. A real surprise - Spanish Mackeral measuring 94cms and just over 6kgs!

Really stoked at getting on in the bay so early this year and landing it on light line. We finished up with the Spanish, 7 Schoolies and 2 Snapper so a good mornings fishing.

Re: Southern Bay Saturday

That's definitely a good morning out well done.