Thread: 1770 overnight

1770 overnight

Finally made it back up to 1770 after nearly 12 months between fishing trips up there. Had a couple of new deckies on board who have been itching to catch a red for a while now. Dropped the boat in the water around 5am Thursday morning and straight away knew the boat wasn't quite right. Engines running fine but not getting hot and using bulk fuel. But after driving 5hrs from the sunny coast I wasn't turning around and decided to cut a 3 day trip to just an overnighter.

First st stop was barcoola wreck, a great place to break up the trip and warm the arms up. We kept a couple of amberjack for flesh bait and kept moving out towards Sykes. A couple of Ks east of Sykes we run over a small rise in about 60m with a decent show sitting hard on the bottom. First drop resulted in 2 reds around 12kg. Next drift we get another and then drop a bigger model and it shuts down. We pick away for the rest of the afternoon and fill a 180l esky with 9 reds. The night was spent on the northern side of Sykes with a big cook up and a few cool treats.

next morning we head south chasing some trout and rte. they both seemed to elude me on this trip for what ever reason. We got dribs and drabs for the day and made the call after lunch to head back before the fuel stocks get too low. Back at the ramp by 4 and home by 9. Another great trip at a cracking spot. Plenty of good reds around at the moment. hopefully they hang around for the lads heading up for the m&g.
    Cheers Joel
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	113750   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	113751   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	113753   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	113754   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	113759  

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	113758   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	113757  

Re: 1770 overnight

Well done, some great fish there!

Great report, well done mate.'

Great report well done.

Hey mate awesome report thanks... what rig do u use to catch the reds... and bait that u used cheers

Quote Originally Posted by chopper* View Post
    Hey mate awesome report thanks... what rig do u use to catch the reds... and bait that u used cheers
    I just use a paternoster mate. 50lb braid with 80lb leader and only one set of hooks. I usually use a set of 7/0 gangs but I change to a single hook around 9/0 when the Sharks start to take too many rigs. As far as bait goes I use any flesh bait that will hold on well. We cut up a few amberjack this trip and the trusty old husser.

Well done mate. Good reading and top effort.