Thread: 1770 mid June

1770 mid June

Can't wait any longer. I'm headed to 1770 for a week starting about June 13th. Just going to take a punt on the weather, whatever happens, happens. Anyone else going to be around? White Vermont / Yammy 200HPDI. Give me a shout if you see us. Be good to meet some of you guys maybe have a beer, although I haven't seen my deckie for this trip have one drink in 40 years that I've known him he's still not bad company though. Normally my 1770 visits are April or October, any clues on which species will be about this month compared to the warmer months I normally go, and how's the bar at the moment? Any local knowledge advice would be appreciated. Probably easier to get help from you guys now that we let you win the first game too.
    Mark

Re: 1770 mid June

Yep, we will have 2 boatloads there for a week starting Sat 11 June. Staying at Agnes.

Boat 1: Seaswirl Striper 2301 DF300 Zuke, callsign "Rascal"
    Boat 2 : Seatrek 5900 Super Sports cat. Twin DF115A's. Callsign "Short Fuse".

We usually go in Sept and October, this is our first time in June. We are also going again in October, our fishing Club, Power Boat Anglers Inc has a club trip then and should be 15-20 boats going.

Say hello if you see us about. Will keep an eye out for you - I guess you will be the ones crying into your VB? And cursing the refs?

cheers

Grant
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I will have to keep an eye out for all of you.
    As for the bar, no real changes. Still around .5m at low tides.
    Reports of lots of Mackeral and Tuna schools around. Some decent Cod, Trout as well as the odd Red and plenty of Grassy Emperor being caught as well.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Will give you a call when we are up there and have a moment, Ozy, still keen to catch up and have a look at your BMD boat!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for the replies guys, Ill try to catch up with you when we get there. probly staying at capt. cook cottages if not at sea. Typical, soon as I make a commitment a bloody east coast low forms. Hopefully it will get it all out of its system by then.

hi moonlighter,
    i am trying to contact short fuse..as a new member i am having trouble.
    thanx to his write up on the sea trek 5.9, he has just cost me 130grand...lol...
    cheers, the bandit...hervey bay..

Hi Bandit. I have just replied to your private message - did not have internet connection for the last couple of days. Happy to have a chat anytime about the Seatrek. I will send you my contact numbers as well in case you want to give me a call. Mate its money spent on a worthy cause. If not spent on the boat, you would only spend it on unimportant thinks like bills, food, home improvements and things like that.

cheers

Jeff

Hi guys, 2kg reef Trouts in the shallows at Fitzroy, hussar everywhere, bigger ones in 40mts of water, 6.5kg spangled emperors, reds around 7kg, and a few nannygai around 8kg came in last fortnight from Fitzroy and the red fern areas around 24 miles out to the south of Mussy area...tides around 2.7mts seem the best, and any wind that have west or northwest in it is not worth launching the boat in...hope you have a great time. Kev.

Thanks Kev, Sounds good, Can't wait to get back up there, should be there by Monday night, out Tuesday weather permitting.

Bloody weather!!

We have cancelled our 1770 trip next week and will wait for some decent weather after the school holidays, probably mid July. May just wait until it looks good and make a late call to go.

So sorry guys, we wont be there.

Haydn, one day I will get to shout you a beer and get a look at that great boat you built! One day!

Yep, I've struck again Grant. Every time I threaten to go fishing the weather turns. Still going but I'll stop and do a day or two mid/nth NSW. Just rang a mate who's fishing now and is just about bagged on trag and snapper. Probably get to 1770 later in the week, mongrel wind looks like backing by next Friday ish, hopefully. I spoke to Josh at Tonys yesterday and he didn't sound too confident in our chances for most of this coming week.

We did a consolation trip out to chase some squid this morning.

It was hard work, they were scarce but we ended up with 7 good quality ones in 3 hours. Just had a big feed of calamari for dinner.

So, I did a flying trip to 1770 last week, sick of postponements. Fished a day at Crowdy Head in NSW on the way and did pretty well on Snapper and Trag. Arrived at 1770 on Wednesday night to 15 to 20kn of wind so spent Thursday preparing for a trip out on Friday. A very ordinary trip out to Fitzroy in 15 to 20kn of SE, jesus does it ever stop? I thought we were in Cooktown. Anyway finally got there and spent the afternoon spearing for a decent lot of trout. Had a relaxing night in the lagoon and caught a nice spangled emp. and dropped another. Went out next morning for a fish on a shoal east of Fitzroy for a few reefies but got taxed pretty heavily, how come the mongrels always get the quality fish, my mate has a very short attention span for fishing so we came back in to Lamont for some more spearing. Filled our bag limit of trout after a bit of grief with the sharks, AGAIN. I came back to the boat and handed my gun up and my deckie nearly had it pulled out of his hands. No prize for guessing what had happened so I took off towards my float to chase off the white tip that was probably trying to bite through the heavy mesh catch bag I was towing with four good trout in it. Well, what was supposed to be a 10kg white tip turned out to be a 200kg Bullshark and he wasn't trying to get my fish, he'd already eaten them and was heading straight at me. The athleticism I showed getting back to the boat and up the duckboard and over the gunwhale would put me in contention for Rio I reckon. That bastard was on a mission. I've dealt with a lot of sharks over the years but that's one unpredictable cantankerous species that I give way to every time. After a day of R&R I went back out to do a couple of days serious fishing alone. Now I've always said you don't have to smack me in the head more than 3 or 4 times to make me realise I'm doing something wrong so this time I took advice from what I've read here and learned through trial and error over a few trips up your way now and spent a fair bit of time sounding/looking for likely areas a bit wider than I normally fish up there. It was still fairly choppy that arvo so I spent a bit more time sounding and less fishing than usual but it payed off with some great areas found around the 100m line.I stumbled onto a nice little patch of low reef in about 63m of water on the way out and persevered on it for a an hour or so and bugger me snagged a few decent reds and a couple of other reefies before going wider. I got my 5 pearlies and a few others like a stonker of a tomato cod, tuskies and so on. Back to the lagoon and some rest. Next morning I blasted out to my new found 'secret spots' to find 6 boats within a half mile. Looks like what I thought was new ground is just where everyone else in the know usually fish. Not to worry I still managed a reasonable catch in perfect conditions as the wind had died overnight. A flat calm sea for the trip back to the ramp was great for a change you could have waterskied all the way. Back at the ramp the fisheries guys were putting the cleaners through two boats and I saw one guy walk off with a handful of tickets, don't know what they did but it looked major. Left 1770 Wed morning telling the locals that I wanted to get across the border before the footy started because of what we were going to do to Qld. I should have stayed, you're not in any danger from us. Anyway got the freezer stocked till next trip, can't wait to come back.