Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Parsun Outboards

Re: Parsun Outboards

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    You were doing OK until you started to attempt to discredit Noel. Probably a good idea to go fishing. I see Parsun outboards as the Great Wall/Cherry of the marine world, built to a cost not to a standard, and when I'm out on the water I want to be 110% sure that my motor will start, every time.
    You can't be !00% sure that any motor will start every time. I have had established brands let me down from time to time (by the way 110% probability is an impossibility). The Parsun's actually have an advantage in the reliability stakes being a simpler, low tech design. Eg it is well known that carby motors are more tolerant of bad/ water contaminated fuel, no computers to fail, no oil injection system etc. They should be cheaper given the lower wages costs in China and the lower R&D and marketing spend. Ie lower price does not necessarily equate to lower quality.

Bit off subject I do not know anyone with a cherry ( Lost mine a long time ago) but have 2 friends with great walls one has knocked up 250k on his petrol one and only issue has been a broken seat frame ( he weighs 140kg) other one has done 90k on a diesel they both say it would be nice with a bit more grunt but for the price who cares.
    Just because a product is made in chine does not necessarily mean it is inferior.Have a look at where your big name so called jap and american reels are made
    Cheers
    Ray

Massive price difference between my Japanese Megabass reels, my Taiwanese Daiwa reels and the cheaper Chinese reels. In some cases the Chinese reels are 1/10th the cost of the Japanese reels. The Great Wall Utes are around half the price of the Thailand made big name Utes. The Chinese outboards are slightly cheaper than the big name outboards. Something doesn't add up.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Massive price difference between my Japanese Megabass reels, my Taiwanese Daiwa reels and the cheaper Chinese reels. In some cases the Chinese reels are 1/10th the cost of the Japanese reels. The Great Wall Utes are around half the price of the Thailand made big name Utes. The Chinese outboards are slightly cheaper than the big name outboards. Something doesn't add up.
    Weren't you saying that the lower price of the Parsun was an indication of poorer quality ('built to a price) - now your saying they aren't much cheaper anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Bit off subject I do not know anyone with a cherry ( Lost mine a long time ago) but have 2 friends with great walls one has knocked up 250k on his petrol one and only issue has been a broken seat frame ( he weighs 140kg) other one has done 90k on a diesel they both say it would be nice with a bit more grunt but for the price who cares.
    Just because a product is made in chine does not necessarily mean it is inferior.Have a look at where your big name so called jap and american reels are made
    Cheers
    Ray
    Also using the car example you can look at some of the expensive brands which in fact have lower than average reported reliability, eg Mercedes, BMW Audi.

"According to Consumer Reports, Mercedes boosted its reliability a bit in 2011, but is still inconsistent. The same can be said for Mercedes’ German competitors, Audi and BMW. In Consumer Reports last five annual reports, the last time these German brands have been above average in reliability was back in 2007. Since then, they’ve all slumped below the average in the industry".

Yes, and I'm sure if I was importing a second class product from China I'd take advantage of a forum where I could try to promote my product at no cost. To each their own.
    hmmm so obviously the mercury ob sales have slowed down a bit lately - and a bit of parson bashing helps pass the time of day i guess - but wait arent some of the mercs made in china now

Not too much that's not made in china now, I think the popularity of the brand name on the badge or sticker determines the mark up.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    You can't be !00% sure that any motor will start every time. I have had established brands let me down from time to time (by the way 110% probability is an impossibility). The Parsun's actually have an advantage in the reliability stakes being a simpler, low tech design. Eg it is well known that carby motors are more tolerant of bad/ water contaminated fuel, no computers to fail, no oil injection system etc. They should be cheaper given the lower wages costs in China and the lower R&D and marketing spend. Ie lower price does not necessarily equate to lower cost.
    Sorry Billfisher this is missleading. The modern day 4 stroke like any other 2 stroke wont run on water or bad fuel. But the modern day 4 stroke can easily be drained of the so called bad fuel and brought back to life without major carby strip and clean. The modern day 4 stroke especially the jap built engine do not have ignition system failures like the carby 2 stroke counter parts. And your right no oil injection systems to fail, just rely on the user to remember to put oil in it.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Sorry Billfisher this is missleading. The modern day 4 stroke like any other 2 stroke wont run on water or bad fuel. But the modern day 4 stroke can easily be drained of the so called bad fuel and brought back to life without major carby strip and clean. The modern day 4 stroke especially the jap built engine do not have ignition system failures like the carby 2 stroke counter parts. And your right no oil injection systems to fail, just rely on the user to remember to put oil in it.
    I'm not sure of your point. What is more 'major' - a carby strip and clean (in the worst case) or being up for thousands in new injectors, especially in the case of the DI two strokes you neglected to mention.
    Also are you saying that the extra systems and technology of the new 4 strokes and DI 2 strokes makes them more reliable or my point they may perform better but be somewhat less reliable?

PS: the below average reliability of MB, Audi, BMW cars is a good analogy.

Weren't you saying that the lower price of the Parsun was an indication of poorer quality ('built to a price) - now your saying they aren't much cheaper anyway?
    That's why I'm saying something doesn't add up. Anyway, I don't want to be seen to bashing a product that some like, I have my opinion, and I'll never own one. I'm not associated with any brand but I've had plenty of one brand and never had an issue with them. I only came into it because there was a bit of playing the man and not the ball by the esteemed Mr. Parsun.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I'm not sure of your point. What is more 'major' - a carby strip and clean (in the worst case) or being up for thousands in new injectors, especially in the case of the DI two strokes you neglected to mention.
    Also are you saying that the extra systems and technology of the new 4 strokes and DI 2 strokes makes them more reliable or my point they may perform better but be somewhat less reliable?

PS: the below average reliability of MB, Audi, BMW cars is a good analogy.
    Actually I didn't forget to mention them because they are different technology all together.

Simply open a few drain points on a modern 4 stroke and flush through with new/good fuel and your away. All modern day 4 strokes have a complex fuel filtering system to stop dirt reaching the injector hence no need for injector cleans. I teach %90 of my clients to do this the other 10 arn't interested. I would think this system of preventing dirt getting to the fuel metering device to be way more reliable don't you agree?
    Garry

Where does the name Parson originate from?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Actually I didn't forget to mention them because they are different technology all together.

Simply open a few drain points on a modern 4 stroke and flush through with new/good fuel and your away. All modern day 4 strokes have a complex fuel filtering system to stop dirt reaching the injector hence no need for injector cleans. I teach %90 of my clients to do this the other 10 arn't interested. I would think this system of preventing dirt getting to the fuel metering device to be way more reliable don't you agree?
    I did specifically include DI 2 strokes in my statement. And they are a significant part of the of the market of new technology motors so I don't know how I am being misleading. A lot of potential Parsun buyers won't be considering a 4 stroke due to the weight issue, eg they are repowering older boats. Thanks for your information as to the fuel filtering system on some 4 strokes and I do get the impression that they are less vulnerable to bad fuel than DI 2 strokes. Although the large water separating filters that people install on their boats are supposed to filter out water as well. The problem is when you get a lot a water and they become overloaded.

PS: I have had major water contamination in my carby 2 stroke motor several times. and all the mechanic did was dry the carbies with compressed air - no major strip downs or rebuilds needed. He told be that's why carby 2 strokes are still popular in the Pacific Islands with their bad fuel/ water contamination problems.

I forgot to also mention that many high tech motors are not even tolerant of running out of fuel. You will have a hard time getting them started again and you can even cause them significant damage.

I forgot to also mention that many high tech motors are not even tolerant of running out of fuel. You will have a hard time getting them started again and you can even cause them significant damage.
    I think you are just coming up with problems that don't exist!!
    Garry