Thread: Help needed to decide which snapper blank

Help needed to decide which snapper blank

Hello to all! I'm new to this site - I'm retired now and live south of Adelaide and fish the waters around Kangaroo Island in my capable trailer boat having recently sold my larger moored vessel - cut a long story short - I'm upgrading most of my fishing gear that's fairly worn now and am wanting to replace a few rods, and the first to have built is a good snapper stick. I prefer to own decent gear and keep it year after year, rather than buy on impulse or on the average fishing shop salesman's favourite list - what often turns out to be not really enjoyable to use.
    So, could some of you knowledgeable folk guide me to a good choice of rod blank? Your help would be appreciated as I fish regularly and enjoy good gear, but i am not conversant with what is available these days.
    In short I prefer - around 7'6'' as I like the feel of a longer rod playing a fish and the forgiveness a bit of length gives to using braid - I'm not totally sold on full graphite even though I am used to them - I believe there are some really good fibreglass blanks available now, so maybe someone could advise me on these? I do like a softer blank as I fish from a boat and don't need the casting ability of the graphite stiffness - so maybe glass is a consideration?
    - Somewhere in the 6-10kg range or as light as possible while retaining some strength to handle some decent lead sinkers in our
    often tidal waters between the mainland and Kangaroo Island.
    - I only use spinning reels.
    Iv'e read a report on the Sabre SABG76M-2 in Fishing World but I wouldn't know the suitability of such a blank really.
    I have a Stella 8000 that i use on a heavier rod and i would anticipate buying a 4000 size or thereabouts for this new stick, probably the StradicFK.
    So, any and every thought from you folk would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Re: Help needed to decide which snapper blank

I reckon a Batson Rainshador RCLB80XL ticks all your boxes.
    It's a composite graphite with e glass tip 10-25lb
    Only problem is I don't think anyone here stocks them do with our shit dollar and the freight costs at that length you'd have to assume the position.
    My advice is go see what Ross has on stock at Rodworks and pull on a few
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thanks Owen, Of course I haven't even heard of the Batson and have just read some reviews etc and your suggestion certainly sounds of interest. Have you used this blank? and if so what was your set up and what were you fishing for?

I've used the RCLB range before but not an XL specifically.
    I have an RCLB80M I use for chucking big poppers and occasional trolling for mackerel etc. I don't have outriggers on the tinny so the 8ft works well out the side.
    It'd be too heavy for your requirements.
    Also have a couple of RCLB70L's
    One as a spin stick and one an overhead for general reef fishing.
    Great on lipper etc as has a fairly soft tip but a ton of lifting power.
    The L may still be a bit heavier than your preference though.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Yes, from what I can see the 70L is the same as the 80XL but is a heavier (almost double) line weight - so the 80L would suit me better - just one further question - is the tip still stiff enough to set the hook in a hard mouthed snapper?
    I have emailed an american company to suss out their landed costings etc, cheers for your help.

Any other suggestions from viewers re Australian stocked blanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Av A Go View Post
    Any other suggestions from viewers re Australian stocked blanks?
    Hi,
    St croix in the sciii 10-20lb are awesome bait snapper sticks .i use the 7 ft other than that lamiglas 10-25 lb 7ft6 wipes out most things including 15kg gt"s.
    Hope this helps Cheers Graham

Grave41 - what are those two stick blanks made of? cheers

Both are graphite.The st croix bends more like a glass rod.If you buy a crankbait blank they have a similar action to glass rods as well.
    Cheers Graham

Ok, thanks for that - back to doing some homework to figure out which way to go! Cheers

As someone else mentioned get in contact with Ross at "THE ROD WORKS" in Adelaide. He has a great selection of snapper blanks that would suit what ever you like. Then you don't have to worry about shipping from the USA. he has made a few rods for me in different styles and after a few emails back and forth discussing what I was looking for his recommendations turned out fantastic.

After considering a number of blanks I have decided on a couple of the ever reliable Sabre blanks - so many thanks to all who replied to this thread, cheers