Thread: Somewhere between sunny and goldy this weekend.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Somewhere between sunny and goldy this weekend.

Somehow I've been given permission to go exploring the deep blue this weekend however the normal contacts are tied up with family stuff so I'm on the hunt for a decky.
    No firm plans as yet for timings, duration or locations but hoping to get out wide if the weather man allows and spending a night on the water is not out of the question either if the weather is nice enough.

If anyone is keen let me know and more detailed planning can begin.

Cheers

Marchy

Re: Somewhere between sunny and goldy this weekend.

how big a boat mate,should be a cracker of a weekend

5.9 Seafarer.
    Wind looks like it shouldn't be too bad, not sure on the rain side of things.

After getting a bit damp through the evening Saturday night something amazing occurred just after sun rise. After many failed attempts at the cape, today was the day that things got a little more interesting. The 2 larger ones went 60cm one for me and one for the decky.
    All fish taken on plastics, my newish Samaki 3pc travel rod and Rarenium2500 running 10lb did all the damage. Really really like that combo!
    Trip home accross the bay was less than fun. 11knots was about the best I could manage in the Vermont without feeling like I was going to break myself.

Cheers

Marchy

Good effort Marchy. Makes all the work on the boat worth while when it starts to come together. Have you got trim tabs on the Vermont ?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Good effort Marchy. Makes all the work on the boat worth while when it starts to come together. Have you got trim tabs on the Vermont ?
    I did on the way home. An esky full of fish and ice made just enough difference to balance out the boat then trimmed hard under and the permatrim held the nose down ok. However I think the little extra pressure on the steering has cost me a seastar seal kit. Leaking slightly on the port side now.

First things first tho. A new gearbox in the Triton. 5th got super noisy about a month back and yesterday 3rd started doing the same thing. Maybe towing the boat with a dodgy box wasn't my finest idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    I did on the way home. An esky full of fish and ice made just enough difference to balance out the boat then trimmed hard under and the permatrim held the nose down ok. However I think the little extra pressure on the steering has cost me a seastar seal kit. Leaking slightly on the port side now.

First things first tho. A new gearbox in the Triton. 5th got super noisy about a month back and yesterday 3rd started doing the same thing. Maybe towing the boat with a dodgy box wasn't my finest idea ever.
    That's no good. Try an oil change before you commit to a major overhaul or replacement box. I now run trim tabs and a Permatrim on my Victory - the difference to the rough weather ride - having the ability to minimise my speed by running the tabs and the engine in apposition to generate lift was a real eye opener to say the least

Oil change has been done. No joy. Picked up a used box for $600 so will swap them when I get a chance. Give it a month or 3 and see how it goes. If it's not perfect I'll get mine rebuilt and swap them back over.

As for tabs it's on the list but I can't see me getting approval for a major expense any time soon. I'm still hearing about the anchor winch on a daily basis!!!