Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yearly Fraser Trip (with trip reports)

Yearly Fraser Trip (with trip reports)

Hi Guys

It is just about that time of year again where I am off to Fraser to catch some tailor and hopefully land a few monsters slide baiting. This time next week I'll hopefully have some early reports of plenty of fish being caught. For those of you that have followed along in previous years on my blog at 1monthonfraser I have decided, along with a mate to up my game a bit recently and register a new blog (www.blog.effectivefishing.com.au) . We are slowly releasing all the old material, as well as loading lots of new stuff and of course I will be writing up daily reports for the two weeks this year starting next saturday (29th).

If you want to follow along and get easy updates like our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/effectivefishing which will ensure you won't miss any of the action!

I look forward to sharing our trip with everyone once again.

Tight lines! (See below for a reminder of some of last years catch!)
    -Shay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	110588

Re: Yearly Fraser Trip (with trip reports)

Hi Shay,

Look forward to the reports.

Have you had much luck putting flesh baits out on the slide? I have tried and the bait seems to get stuck in the shallows. Have read before that they can be jigged out.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Symetre

We haven't really slid flesh baits as such, if you are going to fish with flesh, then the recommended method would be to use it as a throw bait. Keep it to a reasonable size, maybe use some bait elastic to help keep it together and get it out there.

What we have had a bit of success with is using dead tailor, but to help get them out in the surf, chop off their tails and their pectoral fins. Makes them much more streamlined and makes them slide out in the surf much better. Obviously still not as good as a livey but it works surprisingly well. I feel it also helps release the fish scent and bring the sharks in for a feed!

Hope that helped

What's your setup for slide baiting? I really want to try but don't think I have anything close to suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    What's your setup for slide baiting? I really want to try but don't think I have anything close to suitable.
    I'm currently using a custom made rod from Excalibur tackle in Namibia and an avet mag cast control overhead reel. In not going to lie it's not a cheap set up.

At a bare minimum you really need a rod that can cast 6oz sinkers 80m or so. Slightly less in good conditions or if you really like getting wet and can cast in shoulder high water. This will allow you to get into the stroke zone. As for the reel we use overheads, but if you have a reel that can hold at least 100m of 50lb mono and 300m of 40/50lb braid at the minimum you will be in with a chance at least. You need the mono as this is what the slide slides down on, and it's much easier to cast and the braid just gives you a lot more line to work with as a lot of the beasts you run into can easily take 2-400m of lone off you.

I have a post at home on the computer about different rods, I'll look into getting that on the blog when I get home, currently at Singapore airport on my last leg coming home from Europe.

Hope that has helped a little?

what rig set up do you use and how do you get the sinker to stay buried in the sand so it doesn't pop out when you slide the tailor down?

Hey Shay,
    Ross here mate, saw you there last year with all my mates(the short stick crew) hahaha we are heading up on Saturday the 5th... Starting to get excited about it all now.... Look forward to catching up with you on the beach... Hopefully the weather plays the game again this year

Looking forward to the report mate as I'm headed there in3 weeks. Planing on a bit of slide baiting and chasing tailor. Goodluck.

I'll be there in 10 days new surf rod too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey mhilton, not sure which part of the rig set up you are using, but I'll go over everything for you and hope I cover it. I have a 14ft custom made overhead surf rod paired with an overhead reel (I have 3 different ones, a Daiwa Saltist BG50, a fin nor OFC 30H and an Avet LX 4.6MC)

On the reels I have ~500m 50lb braid and ~120/130m of 50lb mono. The usual slide bait rig, normally using 100 or 150lb windon leader. I use Eagle claw medium duty hooks, generally a 10/0 or 12/0 if using really big bait.

As to the sinkers, the legs on the grapnel sinkers help hold the sinker in the sand without pulling free when sliding the tailor. Sometimes rough conditions can make this tricky but in general if you have the right sinker you shouldn't have too many problems

http://blog.effectivefishing.com.au/slide-bait-rig/ has a comprehensive write up of everything but the rods and reels and after dinner I'll be posting a blog post on rods due to McKnight's question!

Hey Rossco, looking forward to seeing you guys on the beach again this year. Hopefully everyone gets stuck into some great fish! Yeah agreed on the weather, was great last year and I've heard the weed has disappeared too!

Cheers lads. Getting close!

Hey Yoot! I remember you were a keen follower last year! Thanks for joining again. What rod did you get?

Are there any YouTube clips of slide baiting on Fraser?

Ben of Upstart

Thats me at 6:05 next to Richard!

Nice lads those South Africans!

You guys don't get worried about ciguatera in those big spanos off fraser?