Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island beach camping booking - new limitations and zones

Fraser Island beach camping booking - new limitations and zones

Already posted this on myswag and apologies if it has been covered elsewhere on ausfish already.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/13649.html

You now need to book ahead and choose a zone for Fraser Island beach camping if you want to guarantee a place. Numbers are now limited. I imagine it could get booked out for some school holiday periods.

Re: Fraser Island beach camping booking - new limitations and zones

Well that sucks. What was wrong with simply posting the rehab-no camping signs without having to guess what sites will look good that particular year.

I'm planning on going for a few nights during the first week of the September school holidays. Any suggestions as to which zones to consider or keep clear of?

Ben of Upstart

Not really. All the ones on the east coast south of Indian Head are ok and fairly similar. The ones close to Indian head are a bit more exposed with fewer trees, generally speaking.
    Other than that I'd just go for something fairly central (ie. halfway up the island) so that you are not too far from the main attractions.

Thanks Chisel. In the past we've camped near Eurong and just north of the Maheno. Both were top spots. I'm leaning towards north of the Maheno this time.

So, no more free ranging over the island with a swag living out your vehicle and fishing as you go? Just another little bit of freedom removed with further implementation of rules.....great....

Well I guess you could book each night individually ... assuming you have phone/net coverage on the island, and assuming it isn't booked out.

It's annoying on one hand but also good to know that it won't be overcrowded. Overall I'd still rate it as annoying because Fraser was just about the last place (talking about beach camping in SEQ
    ) you didn't have to plan ahead for. Straddie is sometimes booked out and ferries can be difficult, Moreton's ferry is often booked out (camping occasionally booked), Inskip and Teewah now have limits (are they ever reached?), Bribie is often booked.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Teewah now have limits (are they ever reached?)
    Yep, was up there for Easter and they had the 'No Vacancy' sign up at the cutting for the Friday and Saturday nights. It only really filled up in the last three days leading into easter as it became apparent the forecast was going to be ok.

So you book in advance to camp on the eastern beach for a week, you get there and its blowing a 25 knot south easterly for your entire week , this means you cannt simply go up past waddy to get out of the wind ! Obviously this new arrangement was drawn up by some very well paid idiots used to sleeping in 5 star hotels.No camp fires now this , next thing you know even the fish will give the island a miss.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    So you book in advance to camp on the eastern beach for a week, you get there and its blowing a 25 knot south easterly for your entire week , this means you cannt simply go up past waddy to get out of the wind ! Obviously this new arrangement was drawn up by some very well paid idiots used to sleeping in 5 star hotels.No camp fires now this , next thing you know even the fish will give the island a miss.
    After being through 3 cyclonic storms over 3 consecutive camping trips to the Island, the last one was when that poor bloke fishing at Inskip got struck by lightning. I decided the next trip will only be booked just prior to going after checking the weather conditions.
    Does anyone know how many zones were there previously?
    Next will mandatory portable toilets.

Same amount of camp sites (15-18 or so) just grouped into zones of 2-3 sites. But out of the nine zones, three are closed including my usual stop off. Just six open, nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So we went for a few days in the first week of the September holidays.
    This was my fifth time there and I was really disappointed. Obviously being school holidays you expect it to be a little busy but the way the zones are set and the way you have to pre-book a zone, it is really limiting the available areas for camping. So much so that it was impossible to find your own little patch of paradise.
    People say it's so that areas can be rehabilitated. Perhaps. But if more beach was available to camp on then individual areas wouldn't be so heavily used.
    I believe it's so the people can be policed/monitored more efficiently. It's ridiculous that the rangers are checking camping permits at campsites when there are only two ways onto the island. Permits should be checked on the mainland prior to embarking on a barge.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

I was thinking of doing my first trip to fraser but I'm not used to all those regulations Looks like i might give it a miss.

sent from the beerhunter

Quote Originally Posted by upstart View Post
    So we went for a few days in the first week of the September holidays.
    This was my fifth time there and I was really disappointed. Obviously being school holidays you expect it to be a little busy but the way the zones are set and the way you have to pre-book a zone, it is really limiting the available areas for camping. So much so that it was impossible to find your own little patch of paradise.
    People say it's so that areas can be rehabilitated. Perhaps. But if more beach was available to camp on then individual areas wouldn't be so heavily used.
    I believe it's so the people can be policed/monitored more efficiently. It's ridiculous that the rangers are checking camping permits at campsites when there are only two ways onto the island. Permits should be checked on the mainland prior to embarking on a barge.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

From my my perspective I think the parkies are finally getting a handle on the numbers which are going. Capping the numbers and introducing zones adds a level of control for them and confidence for whoever books that they will get a spot. Popular places got overrun and monopolised. Eg, Awinya creek would get anything up to 30 odd camps, and crowded to the point that people were camping on the beach. It is capped at 30 odd people now so it may be a nice place to go to again, and the practice of putting up ghost camps to save spots is now both expensive and useless.
    I am quick to pick on parkies but in this instance I think it is a step in the right direction. Fine tuning is needed for the west beach zones such as coongul, but that is another story.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Some good points raised there GBC. I can understand some popular areas could benefit from pre-booking to cap numbers. However it was annoying to see kilometres and kilometres of beach closed to camping and then everyone jammed into the zones.