Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So you think you can tow 3.5t

Re: So you think you can tow 3.5t

Quote Originally Posted by macka17 View Post

Everything's fine till it goes wrong...THEN you realise your vehicle is not really the one you want to be in.
    LOL. Your right. Rather be in someone else's. When it really turns to custard with 3.5 tonne on the back, nothing you can drive on a standard licence is going to have any hope of holding the road. There was some footage from a truckies dash cam a while back as he cleaned up a cruiser and a van that slid out in font of him. Oil on the road or something was the outcome of the investigation I read somewhere. As with a lot of things in life, unless you have made a few stuff ups, you don't realise just how easily a vehicle can be unsettled. Incorrect loading and poor trailer set up can make a massive amount of difference to the overall performance of the rig as a whole.

I guess you could buy a JEEP . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I guess you could buy a JEEP . Matt
    At least if you do you should learn a thing or two about towing. Maybe that's what the reference in the Jeep ad with the long grass in the backyard is about - poor bugger is stuck somewhere and can't get back to mow his lawn.

Yep. Unfortunately Jeeps are a bit sad for towing capacity and load capacity. The wrangler unlimited (should be called the limited...) is a great example. A well laden little box trailer is getting close to the limit. 5 adults in one and you can put a cheese sandwich in the load area (no fat cheese of course).
    The Grand Cherokee is marginally better.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

For any sort of towing work these days I'd be shopping the acronyms and looking for things like dynamic stability control, adaptive load control, trailer sway control, emergency brake assist etc etc. Not saying that they are going to make up for your decision to tow something too big for the car, but having used one or two of the above in anger, I can attest to just how important they are as towing tools. Hitting the brakes with both feet thinking 'here we go' then having the computer take the pedal to the floor and stop in a distance you simply didn't think possible is one example. Yes, smoke was pouring from the brakes after we stopped, but who cares. Awesome technology.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    At least if you do you should learn a thing or two about towing. Maybe that's what the reference in the Jeep ad with the long grass in the backyard is about - poor bugger is stuck somewhere and can't get back to mow his lawn.
    That's how I see it haha