Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Big Dissapointment

A Big Dissapointment

Two Saturdays ago, on what was supposed to be a liesurely drive towing my ski up north, I was not happy.
    The condition of the roads was just plain awful. How did I get into such dusty, bumpy, corrugated roads while dodging cows and kangaroos?

Ever heard of fences?

And the signage was just plain un-welcoming.

There were even bullet holes in a section of the sign as some sort of business-review.

Then finally I arrived at this place called Stanage and got out of the 4WD at their funny looking 2 lane boat ramp so that I could question why there is actually 100m of mud between the ramp and the water. When I step out I am up to my ankles in mud.
    My vehicle and jet ski were already brown with dust and there was no phone reception to call RACQ for assistance.
    And THAT is when I found out that the town lives on rain water and you are NOT allowed to wash your vehicle or jet ski. And then it started to rain heavily.
    Then I drove some 200m to the house I was staying at to be greeted by two men. Let's call them Netmaker and Murf.
    They were cooking fish and chips for dinner. I saw cryovac bags marked 'coral trout/1770'.... so.... no local fish on our first night??
    It was a miserable introduction to the place. And it was about to get a whole lot worse....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Blog Entries

Re: A Big Dissapointment

Classic!!! hahahahaa

I was almost taken in by the post. I was thinking, luxury. You should have been up at Stanage with us 40 years ago. Now THEY were BAD trips No signs, no accom... no nothin...

To top it all off I here you got a dose of the crabs too Paul.

Funny you should mention crabs, Crunchy.
    I took my spearfishing gear and was hoping for a cray. But the visibility in the water around Stanage is about 10mm.
    So that idea was out.
    The only crustaceans around seemed to be mud crabs. Which was a real disappointment because I am a Sand Crab aficionado myself.

'
    And besides, muddies are much harder to handle on a jet ski.
    And the Stanage crabs are pretty big too, which makes it harder again. Tying them whilst on the ski was not going to happen.
    So they went into the box where one of them drank my 'snake-bite-kit' (spare can of beer).

And next thing was chilli crab night. A great way to ruin a perfectly good appetite and your favourite clean shirt as well. I don't rule out Mud Crab completely, but it would have been nice to have some variety.

A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

And those cows look like steers to me.

No wonder they struggled with the milking

And your right Shark Poker, it is a disappointment. I can't find the GoPro footage of you trying to tie a muddie on the ski anywhere.

Are they called steers because you have to steer around them?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    Are they called steers because you have to steer around them?
    No, when you steer at them they steer right back at you. Your not a country lad are you.
    Did you have to rebuild the ski when you got there or did the dust hold it together. Sounds like you have some lasting memories for future reminiscence there.
    Sounds like you were lucky enough to get there after the gun fight as well....Jim.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

No - it is because when they have a sex change from being a young bull it bring steers (tears) to their eyes. LOL
    Last edited by groverwa; 28-05-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: gramma

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimg View Post
    No, when you steer at them they steer right back at you. Your not a country lad are you.
    Did you have to rebuild the ski when you got there or did the dust hold it together. Sounds like you have some lasting memories for future reminiscence there.
    Sounds like you were lucky enough to get there after the gun fight as well....Jim.
    Not a country lad from around here Jim. We mostly had was buffaloes where I come from.
    and it's funny you should ask about the ski.... It did not survive the trip!
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

they're heifers

That light brown one is pretty cute

Here is a tip if you absolutely insist upon visiting the area: don't take crab bait.
    There is plenty of that on the dirt road. ('roos)
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

A mate of mine took a trip up to Stanage years ago with his brand new Bluefin Mangrove Jack with 40hp four stroke. It was sprayed a very nice metallic blue as well.
    It came back from that trip with around 10 yrs of age added in 1 week. The stone chips freckled the front and the skeg and prop were hammered. His comments were when questioned was "Yeah there's lots of rocks at Stanage, in the water and out". Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF