Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used 4WD

Used 4WD

I have decided to buy a 4WD to about $15-20000.

i dont know what to buy. When you look up any reviews on any make, there is always some people who say that model is a lemon, whether it is Navara, rodeo, Patrol, Hilux.

i dont mind whether its a dual cab or not.

The best deals seem to be on the 2.5l turbo diesel Navara.

i think i would rather have a diesel as for the money I want to spend as I thought a 150000klm would be better in a doesel than petrol.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    greg

Re: Used 4WD

Most of the later model common rail diesels in their 4cly form ie: Hilux Navara being the most common would tending towards injector replacement at those km's.........They are a bit of a lucky dip..........if they have good service records i'd consider one but no history of servicing i'd walk away.

Funny the petrols nowadays seem to be more reliable and less problematic than diesel.

the older spec 120 Prado pre 2006 with the 1Kz motor in diesel seems to be a standout for reliability same goes for the Hilux but in the old shape which are a fairly small sized vehicle though.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

i would stay away from mine trucks .....try to get something under 100k on it ....colarado/dmax ....amaroks are a good trucks ...last truck was a 2011 ranger wouldnt have another ...using works triton ummm not impressed ...watch out for flood affected ones at the moment to ...

I would look private over yard with a service history. Plenty of nice vehicles with low kms that ppl just want to move on for all kinds of reasons. Cash is king in that situation too. If time isn't too big a issue, I would think you could sort yourself out a nice vehicle in that range.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Yeah this is not easy.
    Just seem to be in the deep blue sea here.

Its a real gamble.

I was thinking about the Petrols be less drama?

Was also thinking of the older shape Hilux.

The Dmax are all over the $20000 mark.

Dan what size is the 1Kz motor you mentioned? Would that be the 2.8lit in the Hilux?

As I said, I dont know a lot about 4WD.

Cheers
    greg

Could find something suitable in that range mate, as said all comes down to servicing.

I have a navara 2.5. Heard people with issues but always serviced mine on time or early and (touch wood) no issues to date at all. I'm actually looking to sell mine and it will be in that price range with 109xxx km on it so you should find something under 150000. Hilux always tend to be on the more expensive side compared to others.

The 1Kz is still 3.0ltr they go ok and can be chipped also with no real dramas.......they are pretty much based off of the 1Hz motor which is reguarded pretty high for reliability.

The 1kz is available in the Prado with turbo and intercooler as standard but in Hilux it only got the Turbo.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

The petrols are ok if you are not doing too many kms but they will like a drink - occupational hazard when you are trying to push a couple of tons of housebrick at 100kph and even more so with the boat on the back. You will get more for your money in petrol purely for this reason. If you go diesel with a small capacity (under 3 litre) IMO you are better off with an auto than a manual for towing. The smaller motors (apart from the Amorok due to the gearbox) lack of torque at low revs will necessitate the use of low range or the riding of the clutch at revs at times to get going. This is part of the reason that a multitude of makes have had clutch issues at various times. I would definitely be looking at a turbo diesel as against naturally aspirated with a 4 cylinder - I had a 2.8 lux some years ago - great car but basically a tractor. I couldn't bog it but it wouldn't go fast - not even downhill with a tailwind and it only got slower with the boat on the back. Any 4wd second hand can be a minefield and if you are not mechanically minded it will definitely be worth your while to get a professionals opinion. Double check any warranty document if that is part of the sales pitch as a lot of them have a little clause - "4wd vehicles excepted". Check and see if there is a vehicle specific forum for any truck you are looking at - certainly with Navaras there is a wealth of information out there and I suspect it would be the same for most makes.

Thanks Dan
    thanks Scottar.

Iam extremely cautious about this decision. It all nearly makes me think to just keep my Camry.

I just wanted something to get back up the beach and tow small pop up caravan, which was going to be my second purchase.

May just be easier to go and stay in cabins.

cheers
    greg

It can be done Greg, you just need to be careful. It will make a far better tow tug for the boat than the Camry and open up a heap of fishing options - beach launch at DI as an example. Be open minded, do a heap of research, Be wary of heavily modified rigs, test drive some different trucks and formulate your own opinion - what suits me may not suit you.

Thanks scottar. Iam in no hurry, so i will check all things out.

cheers
    greg

Slightly off the topic, but close.

The ..NEW... Triton 4 x 4 dual cab diesels ( 2014 plated ) are heading out the door this month and next month for $28,990 drive away.

That is a bargain. You get a new vehicle and the capped servicing and warranty and no " secondhand " problems tagging along. Just a thought.

I think for your budget, you can do very well. I just sold a 2009 Colorado ( dual cab, diesel, manual with offroad extras ) for under 15K.... had 150,000 k's on the clock, but always serviced on time etc. The era for this collie had the Isuzu running gear and are tough as nails.

Good luck...

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Yeah Phil, i knew about the tritons. Not my cup of tea.

I think i prob should go back to a 60 series landcruiser. I had one of them once and loved it.
    It was a 1985 model. Big, comfortable, great up the beach.

greg

Greg

What do you want to do with your new 4 WD?
    How many people do you / will you carry?
    Do you want / need a ute or a wagon?
    What weight do you plan on towing?
    What do you plan to carry?
    DO you plan to service it yourself or get it serviced?
    Have you a good diesel mechanic or petrol mechanic who knows 4WDs and who can do what you need?

Without some idea of the above it all just seems like hobson's choice.......

Cheers
    Chimo

PS Patrol GQ TD42T is my toy.

60 series! now your starting to talk sense! Keep the camry and buy a holiday rig for 5000 like a 60 series spend 8000 on it to get it reliable keep 2000 for a couple year extra rego and be happy!