Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Scottar is back.......

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Considered a hinge arrangement for access?
    Good to see you are around Scott.

Yes that would be a great idea but just the way the set up is it would be a pain with all the different curves I am going to do and the top section goes back on the top of the head just to add a little more against the hinge idea. I will be having no fuses or buss bars behind the dash, just wiring. All circuit boards and such will be on the other side of the head which has a built in cupboard for hanging clothes in which is being turned into a switch board with easy access.

I started making the plywood shell this afternoon so its starting to take shape. Still a few hurdles and hoops to jump through getting it right but will work out in the end.

Got most of the new dash glued up today and pretty happy with it for functionality. Gives me so much more room to fit all the electronics with free space. Looks a little raw at present but by the time I give all the corners a large radius it will take away the boxy look. I have also gained more space behind so wiring can be managed in a neat fashion and the hydraulic steering will be suitably accommodated recessed in the dash as before it would have been very proud of the face of the dash. The plan is to do the steering setup once I get a few layers of glass on the inside to hold it all together out of the boat which will make life easier.

Still need to fit the side trim and adjust to suit the new dash but won't have time this trip. Made a template up for the 9" sounders and checked that the steering wheel was not going to cause visibility issues and that has worked out great with plenty of room. There is no chance I could have gotten the equipment in the old style dash.

Have a fair amount of glassing and fairing to do to make it look like it was meant to be there all along but very happy now the shell is done and the rest is easy. Was always going to be a headache and changed the design in my head more times then I would like to say.

Turning the helm seat into a fridge/freezer will be the next project on the books after this and it too will be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

The joys of modernising dashboards!
    You are definitely on the right track. Looking very business-like.
    What engine control are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    The joys of modernising dashboards!
    You are definitely on the right track. Looking very business-like.
    What engine control are you using?
    giddy I am just using the conventional morse cable gear change/throttle side mounted control. I did look at the fly by wire but worked out I have enough electronics going on. I do have the electronic engine management and gauges from Styer which is flush mounted also. I have a picture in my head of the finished dash and helm area and just need to connect that to the hands. Dash really has been a hold up in this project for me, for some reason and I don't know why I just could not bring myself to hacking it out

On the way now and important for me to complete all the glass work and timber work inside as I am ready to install the motor right now. Just to much dust and crap flying around inside at present to even think about it, not to mention it would be something else in the road to deal with.

Modified the side trims to fit the new profile of the dash today and worked out what I need to do with the controls.

I will need to make a cavity for the control so as to not smack your hand up against the dash. I will take advantage of this and make it into a nock which I will install USB outlets for charging phone etc and it will also hold the phone. Wasn't what I wanted but has to be done and having a small compartment to hold a phone or whatever won't be a bad outcome.

On the photo you see a black marking of where I will make a removal panel and behind it will be the autopilot pump also the auto trim tab modules and gyro. Good spot being dry and accessible, may even fit the autopilot module there as well if there is enough room. There was a small panel there from before which was access to a remote C-Maps module and some other holes I am not sure what they were so the new panel will take care of them.

Now that I have the side trims fitted I can mark the mounting flange required to screw too. I picked up 150mm PVC pipe to make a mould for the steering helm which is the last item to sort out before removing the dash to glass.

I knew there was a reason I gave up boat building years ago.

Thumbs up Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Has anyone purchased corthane foam sheets lately. Trying to find somewhere around Brisbane city or North Brisbane.

Going to start the next project shortly and need to start gathering the materials. After some information supplied by ranmar850 I have been researching into the refrigeration unit I will need. I am going with 75mm thick foam which gives me 200l capacity and a BD-50 compressor. 50mm would do the job but the compressor would be working hard on hot days and may be a little slow pulling down fish I think. It's a little hard to believe some of the marketing stories from some of the manufactures. The variable speed controller ranmar suggested is certainly the go also.

Thanks ranmar for your advice and sharing real world experiences. Certainly helped as it's a minefield working out what to use and saved me from being disappointed with the results.

Try Coldesign GRP at Rocklea, he stocks a lot of different foams, very knowledgeable and damn helpful, pretty sure he organises delivery too

Some more progress on the dash.

Made a cylinder for the helm laying up on a 150 mm PVC pipe to around 10-12 mm thick using a combination of 450g CSM and DB. Made up the insert and glassed the underside of the dash again with a combination of CSM and DB to give it some body as by the time I cut all the holes out to flush mount the equipment I didn't want to end up with a flexing dash. I have only put the one layer on the top side and will complete the other layers once glued in position. This is so I can glass in to the existing structure and then fare it all in.

I need to get my cable conduit in and timber support battens in for wiring before I can move onto the next stage of gluing the dash in. I did a trial fit with the hydraulic steering unit and I may set the helm seat back 50 mm for a little more comfort as I was unable to set the unit in as far as I would have liked without it being a pain in the ass to connect the fittings and hoses in the back. I can work that out once the dash is in as I am turning the helm seat box in to a fridge as mentioned so moving a little is no issue.

Time to pack the tools up [ shed looks like a shit tip]and return to work. Only off for a week this time and will be home for 2 weeks which should see the dash installed and gel coated, ready for the next step.

Couple of photos as we go.

I don't have any photos of my S/S prop eating my engine away yet. but getting closer.

IMG_20210520_074648.jpg

Had some time today so continued with the dash installing the wiring conduit through the head and into the old clothes cupboard which is now becoming a switch board. I was worried the conduit would be a head issue but worked out good and in now a great grab support for when its a little rough in the toilet or having a shower. I ran a 70mm high pressure PVC pipe so its bloody strong. I will put a stick on wrap around to make it look pretty once I get into revamp the head.

Glued the timber battens for wiring behind the dash and they will get a layer of CSM before I glue the dash in.

Refitted the dash to finalize the steering set up and controls. As mentioned I was concerned about the helm unit protruding a little more then I would like and decided that I will move the helm seat back 2" and also move the controls a little higher as I have raised the seat 3" to give one a better view through the windscreen and also after more capacity for the fridge so I have just gained another 2" in length which is good. Having today to work on the boat has put me in a good position to have this section fully completed next time home. Looking forward to getting it all glassed in, shaped and gel coated as another big part done.

really is going to be the most extensive 700 cruisemaster out there!

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    really is going to be the most extensive 700 cruisemaster out there!
    Yes it is and expensive also but will be completed to what I want, no short cuts and less problems later. Just want to have as little to maintain as possible and enjoy boating and fishing.

Couple more things to sort out inside Moose and then time to install the engine and start the wiring and electronic finally. Will be annoying you again soon for equipment. I finally sorted out what I will be installing so should be a simple operation for you I hope this time unless you throw me a curve ball and get me thinking again.

i LOVE curveballs!

have you considered going fully electric drive instead of diesel???

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    i LOVE curveballs!

have you considered going fully electric drive instead of diesel???
    Do not start Moose

Can't beat the sound of a turbo whining up.

Seriously the technology is out there and one day in the not so distant future it will become an option. I see boats in Europe starting to appear with some sort of electric propulsion just a matter of time.

Update on the dash. Lock down has certainly helped with progress. Got it all glassed and shaped with two coats of gelcoat and a flowcoat over the top. Will let it sit under the heat lights and start the sanding process in the morning. The top and sides will have carpet to stop reflection on to the screen. Shaping the left hand side was a little tricky to make it blend. Pretty happy with it and should look the part once I get it all sanded and buffed. Was thinking of making all the cut outs before gelcoating but I am sure Moose will get my brain working overtime on what too install.