Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisho still missing off evans head, do u fish alone?

Fisho still missing off evans head, do u fish alone?

Firstly RIP fat mick, and peace to your family. Unfortunately micks decky left not long ago and due to the commercial fishing game being a struggle he didn't put anyone on, it looks like a decky would have saved his life. Somehow mick fell from the boat and authorities are saying theres signs of a struggle to get back onboard which didn't happen.
    Before i was married and had kids id sometimes fish alone (at sea) i loved the peace and quite. Don't anymore as the boss has put a stop to it which I'm not arguing with, lets face it things can go wrong and I've got to much to lose.
    What are you thoughts on fishing alone, should it be banned, should it be compulsory life jackets if alone etc. From all reports mick wouldn't have had a lifejacket on which may have saved his life or helped in locating him.
    Again all the best to his family and friends in this hard time.

Ranga.

Re: Fisho still missing off evans head, do u fish alone?

I fish solo offshore. I don't wear a jacket all the time and no it should not be compulsory. We are over-regulated already and don't need any more rules or laws.

See post below...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I fish solo offshore. I don't wear a jacket all the time and no it should not be compulsory. We are over-regulated already and don't need any more rules or laws.
    Jeremy - whilst I agree with you in principle, we also need to factor in the costs and manpower involved in a search if you don't return as planned - to say nothing of the further potential for loss of life. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, hundreds of man-hours, possible loss of searchers lives - all because we felt that we were invincible.
    I know that I certainly felt that way 30 years ago, but life's bitter lessons have awakened me to the fact that I'm not invincible - not by any stretch! Yes, I still often fish alone. Yes, I carry a marine radio and all necessary safety equipment, alert family to expected return times, and always, always, wear an inflatable life jacket. Even when landbased off the rocks. Not only is it my responsibility as an adult, it's my duty, my obligation, to my family to ensure I have every chance of coming home to them.

Number one rule DON'T FISH OFFSHORE Alone,mine anyway.
    Not just that it would bloody boring,i enjoy the company,banter and having a beer with a group of mates.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Mick.

Go out solo and love it. Also enjoy going out with family or friends but sometimes it does the soul good to be out there by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER1 View Post
    Go out solo and love it. Also enjoy going out with family or friends but sometimes it does the soul good to be out there by yourself.
    I couldn't agree more

I loved a solo fish but its hard to beat mates and beers. If i do go solo again ill be in a lifejacket. The ones you can get these days are that light u hardly know you have them on. Id be happy for a rule that if you fish alone lifejacket on. Accidents happen at sea and lifejackets save lives, pretty clear cut really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I agree we are over regulated, but any rule that clearly saves lives shouldn't be ignored.

Don't know how you'd go working in a life jacket or how durable they'd be.Could even be more dangerous than without.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Don't know how you'd go working in a life jacket or how durable they'd be.Could even be more dangerous than without.
    You've obviously never worn an inflatable, then. First thing I do when I board, and don't take it off until I'm back at the ramp. Never even notice it.

In the broad water i fish alone 95% and maybe 50% of the time off sure...when I do go by myself I do wear a PFD and hook up the kill switch lanyard. My tinnie is only 4.75 is I do have to wear a PFD when crossing the bar but if its a flat day i will take it off when ready to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by robfish 1 View Post
    You've obviously never worn an inflatable, then. First thing I do when I board, and don't take it off until I'm back at the ramp. Never even notice it.
    OK,so how many traps do you drop and pull in a day?Likewise,how durable is the material of an inflatable when scuffed up against sharp edges of a trap and the environment of a working boat in general?I'm assuming they wouldn't be real flash with a hole in them.Mate a session on an LFB is a little different to a morning bobbing up and down on your little cuddy.
    This was an accident pure and simple and you just can't legislate against them.I can only hope Blue has gone to a place where the fishing is good,I will miss the bullshit and banter,RIP big fella.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    OK,so how many traps do you drop and pull in a day?Likewise,how durable is the material of an inflatable when scuffed up against sharp edges of a trap and the environment of a working boat in general?I'm assuming they wouldn't be real flash with a hole in them.Mate a session on an LFB is a little different to a morning bobbing up and down on your little cuddy.
    This was an accident pure and simple and you just can't legislate against them.I can only hope Blue has gone to a place where the fishing is good,I will miss the bullshit and banter,RIP big fella.
    Mate, I don't work pots, so I really don't know about scuffing and the viability aspect. But...I do know that I have a responsibility to come home to my family, and if it costs a few lifejackets every season, (bearing in mind they do have scuff covers), I reckon that's a small price to pay for it. I wonder how Blue's family would have felt knowing that a couple of lifejackets may have been the difference between his being safe, and their current loss? Yes, I feel for any family he had who may currently be grieving - I lost a family member to the sea years ago - so yeah - I know what they're experiencing. And comfortable, $50 lifejackets weren't available back then.
    It's all very well to grizzle over a few $$, but in the end, what's a life REALLY worth? If profit margins force you to cut corners, get another job! Material things can be replaced. Lives cannot.

Hopefully a pic will appear to give you an idea of the environment and how much room is available once the 'pot' is on board.
    Attached Images Attached Images