Thread: Finally Decided to give braid a go

Finally Decided to give braid a go

well after years of denail, and refusing to use, and after alot of prodding and pushing from my son, I ahve gone kicking and screaming into the world of braid users....on ONE rod only....it better catch me some fishies or else........

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Re: Finally Decided to give braid a go

Done well to last over 20yrs since it was introduced. I've only got a couple of rods with mono on them and they are strictly pelagic trolling rods. Having said that I've caught heaps of pelagics trolling with braid.

Now the fun starts as you have to learn how to tie braid to mono and learn a couple of new knots. Slim Beauty and Double Uni Knot seem to work well but the guys on this site will point you in the right direction if you are having a problem.
    Remember not to strike hard as there is no stretch and yes I am still coming to terms with it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-REX View Post
    Now the fun starts as you have to learn how to tie braid to mono and learn a couple of new knots. Slim Beauty and Double Uni Knot seem to work well but the guys on this site will point you in the right direction if you are having a problem.
    Remember not to strike hard as there is no stretch and yes I am still coming to terms with it.
    Thank you gents for the replies. Knots aren't a problem for me, due to working on charter boats over the years. Just never used braid, always been a mono man.

Biggest difference is stop trying to feel a bite and learn to watch for it......fish with some slack in the line.
    Jack.

Good on you Mike i dont think you will look back on this as a bad thing,i remember when i first started casting my first baitcaster and got sick of over runs and have the mono all kinked trying to get birds nest out and tryed berkely fusion my mate used the old spider wire it made getting over runs out a lot better with no worries of damage are the old days.

But you will find your self buying more and more as you use it lures go deeper, feeling and seeing bite a lot better and hooking up with less effort welcome to the 20th century,as long as alvey reels are around there will still be a need for mono other than for traces.

Mike has crossed over to the dark side welcome brother!! now to learn how to tie the fg and pr knots.
    Cheers Graham

Finally Decided to give braid a go

My neighbour finally joined me for a fish after many years talking about it and I let him use my gear- specifically the straddic with braid which surprisingly cut his finger when a spotty sped off against a light drag. You might also adjust your method of feeling for a bite, like I kept telling him, no need to put your finger over the line, you will know when a fish takes it. Lesson learned. :-)

Good decision to go over mate, there are some pitfalls, you need to make sure you keep the braid spooled tightly, a wind knot can spell disaster if you can't untangle it, but the good quality braid will outlast mono, I've never looked back.

Scalem