Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MHX spin rod

MHX spin rod

Just built myself a spin stick mainly for targeting Spotties and to throw a 25 -45 gram slugs a fair distance..also a back up snapper rod for soft plastics
    Tryin a saltwater MHX blank 10-20lb
    and a American tackle Mirco wave Guide system to try out and see if its as good as the reviews its been getting in the USA
    Reel seat is a PacBay blank exposed soft feel reelseat
    Tried to make this build as light as possible and happy how the weight turned out ...super light and should cast a mile
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MHX spin rod

Nice rod hope U catch plenty

ken

Looks sweet Willo i use built the SB812 blend 10to17 and it will cast a slug a loooong way,how did you go lineing up those guides, i did a over head in micro for someone and with my eyes lineing them up was hard in 4s and 3s it drove me crazy but i did like wrapping them very easy,it will be interesting to here how you like the micros casting wise,cheers Chris.

Great build im a fan of trimar or similar thread.love the reel seat let me know how it works. it looks the goods now go cane it.
    Graham
    Last edited by grave41; 07-09-2014 at 08:00 PM.

The rod looks great.

I have microwaves on some smaller rods I built and they can be a bit of a pain once you start upping the leader a bit. Also had one fail. Other than that, they cast in to next state and are really accurate.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Yeh Chris.. alining the guides is a bit of a pain ..but all good after a few attempts
    Hope a slim beauty leader knot and thin Dia leaders will help with that Apollo and used a locking wrap on the guides for a bit of sucrity
    yeh Grave41... the reel seat feels good in the hand and my thumb nathurally sits on the blank when winding ..but field testing will tell me more
    But hopefully will work out ok ....try and get down the creek and give it a casting test this arvo with 25 and 35 gram slugs .....
    If in any way the guide system dosent live up to all the hype ...will take em off and put a set of Fuji K seris on it

I use a FG or PR knot and stick to 15lb leader or less. 20 is doable but starting to get to the limit.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I use a FG or PR knot and stick to 15lb leader or less. 20 is doable but starting to get to the limit.
    Yeh Mate ..Had a test down curumbin creek....and will diffinately leaving Mircos on......
    Took my stella 5000 off my snapper rod ...was loaded with 20lb braid and 20 ft of 30lb leader ......Only just because it was ready to go
    Don't know if anybody knows the Currumbin creek boat ramp at Thrower drive bridge ,,,,but was casting a 25 gram slug from the ramp 5ft short of the opposite bank and was hitting the other bank with a 35 gram slug... not sure how far it is but will step it out on the bridge tomor
    But they do cast a mile ...and not bad with the 30lb leader
    When I built the rod I put a #5 size tip on instead of a # 4 as the rest of guides ..during my research on the guide I found that when they originally started testing them they only had #5 size tip..wasn't till later they produced the #4 tip but back then they where saying the #5 tip didn't effect the cast at all........so I used a # 5 to help with the knot issue
    But the guide are pretty impressive so far both with guides and the Blank,,,Hopefull give it a work out on the snapper come thrusday

willo .mate the rod looks the ducks guts ..mhx blanks are something I like to build on and have had no compliants as yet.

ive used the mirco,s a fair bit, had a couple of guides fail, so im not big fan ..yet

ian

Mate fantastic job all round on this one. You'll love the guides. I haven't had any fail (Yet!) and they cast like a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Mate fantastic job all round on this one. You'll love the guides. I haven't had any fail (Yet!) and they cast like a bullet.
    Thanks Mark.....Yeh was impressed with it casting in some trial casts ......When guys talk about a guide failing they talking about the guide poping off the the blank or the guide insert poping .......
    I used the Forhan locking wrap on my guides as I will be at the top end of the limit of theses guides using 20lb braid...so will be a good test and time will tell...

Mate I use the Forham locking knot on all my single foots and haven't had any fail with the guide foot pulling out.

willo i tested a 3 piece 8-15 with the micro wave system,gold cermets ,fuji k"s and low riders and found it basically depended on action of the blank more than anything else with good guide placement the gold cermets cast the same if not better than the micro waves all were similar but the best were gold cermets and micro waves so gold cermets it was as this rod was for me the first rod ive built for myself in seven years,hence all the testing.
    Cheers Graham

ive never had a guide pop off the rod , just the rings either popping or breaking..

Yeh Graham.....That seems to be the debate wether a properly set out guide train will give you the same distance as Mirco wave ..
    Had a quik fish this morning and there was quite a stiff wind blowing side on to where I was casting and one thing I did notice that the cross wind caused a couple of wind knots around the stripper guide guide .. But once again was pushing 20lb braid and 30lb leader through the guides..........but other than that was happy with how the rod fished