Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fisheries Review invite. 2014

Re: Fisheries Review invite. 2014

My confidence in the "public consultation and review process" has just been gutted.<br>A local politician (don't know who or which party, don't care) has stepped in and lobbied the Minister to overturned the recent recreation review result for lake Kurwongbah near Petrie. And he succeeded, what a joke of a process. &nbsp;&nbsp;

I wonder who lives on or near it or knows the person to have this happen that would be why, its not what you no but who you no it seems just like getting yellow line outside your drive way when others cant get them,i thought it would have been good to open it.

IMO....Boating on Kurwongbah was open only to water skiers who held a permit and the rowing club at certain times. Years ago it was decided for many reasons to transition the lake into a paddle fishery. Council put up the money, stocking group started stocking the lake with bass, yellows and toga, no new ski permits were issued. As of this year only 12 ski permits remained, these were given free permits for Somerset for 3 years, the Government review was completed and the lake was to be paddle only for the thousands of people that live locally. For the use of all the public.....no permits required.
    Step in some pollie an now the revue result has been changed to water ski only Tue, Wed & Thur (and only for those remaining 12 water skiers), and a paddle fishery for the rest of the week for the public.
    To change the result of the review make a sham of the whole process IMO

I don't think it was overturned Mike. Fishos have it Friday to Monday, skiers have it Tuesday to Thursday. Seems like a pretty good compromise really. I'm a bit dirty on the free Boating Permits for the skiers who now have to go to Somerset though. I have to pay for a permit to do a fish release!
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Ok i thought the whole thing was canned at least the 2 wont meet on the water but who would go sking during the week there,but i can see someone going for a paddle and fish after work during the week.

There are some idiots running things with no idea.

Whisper I heard was that legal action was mentioned and SEQ water did not have the right to get rid of the skiers hence the compromise. The result is a win for both parties.
    One problem that has emerged is with the rowers who face backwards and cannot see where they are going. They make no noise and travel quite fast and you are not aware of an imminent collision.
    Maybe the rowing course should be no go for yaks.
    Cheers
    Ray

No Dale it was to be paddle only from Sept,
    This is from a media release from Minister Mark McArdle, issued on 14 April 2014
    The opening up of Lake Kurwongbah to the community for kayaking and canoeing means water skiing will no longer be permitted on the lake. Members of the Lake Kurwongbah Water Ski Zone club will be provided with free boat permits for three years to use Lake Somerset.

Full statement here
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...ed-to-paddlers

Then SEQWater put this out on 8th Sept, right at the last min.
    The initial water quality assessment of Lake Samsonvale indicated the lake would not be able to cope with any additional activity. As such the decision was made to allow paddling onto Lake Kurwongbah to deliver on review outcomes. This would have resulted in the Lake Kurwongbah Water Ski Zone club (LKWSZ), as well as Water Ski Queensland, being unable to continue to use the lake because of public safety concerns with skiers interacting with paddlers.

Full statement here
    http://www.seqwater.com.au/latest-up...ake-kurwongbah

SEQWater even had paddle only signs made months ago, then last min changes were made. The new replacement signs reflecting the share arrangement weren't even ordered until a couple of days before the lake was opened up.

Now I'm not against sharing the waterway, and naturally you can't have several skiers and paddlers in the same area at the same time, but I'm annoyed.
    I'm annoyed the review process was clearly laid out, ran for months and contributed to by perhaps thousands of members of the public, then abused at the last second. A few months ago the pollies lined up backslapping each other in local papers saying how they listened to the public and acted because the public overwhelmingly wanted a paddle only Kurwongbah.

Now no one can paddle and fish on the lake any time on any Tue, Wed or Thur....even in winter.....and there are only 12 licences left to ski on the lake. There will be plenty of days when no one will launch a ski boat but still nobody is allowed on the water to fish. That seems like a ridiculous situation to me Ray.

BTW....ever notice that when it's good news it comes out in a Ministers or MPs media release...
    but when it's bad news they leave it to SEQWater or Fisheries to put out the media release. Those pollies don't miss a trick do they.

I think it was Water Ski Qld that initiated the legal action.
    Minister mcardle also announced that leslie Harrison was to be opened up but that has been canned due to repairs to dam wall similar to those taking place at Kurwongbah. At least the review went ahead at kurwongbah.
    You would think it would be prudent to go ahead at leslie Harrison and if it was decided to go ahead with opening it up it would be a golden opportunity to provide any infrastructure whilst the water level was down.
    In the meantime Kurwongbah is fishing extremely well for bass and yellas with cricket score catches being recorded so get out there and enjoy before the fish become educated to lures. .
    Cheers
    Ray.

Yer i heard that tonight but only up to 48cm but what i dont like is to here that this has been going on for months now so everything will have sore jaw by now.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yer i heard that tonight but only up to 48cm but what i dont like is to here that this has been going on for months now so everything will have sore jaw by now.
    Like to see a photo of 48cm bass from there.
    The original stocking from 2008 have only reached 46cm this year and have been growing aprox 1cm per year for the last 2 years and expected to be less from now on,
    Pretty good growth rate fpr a bass to reach 46cm in such a short time and hope that the Government comes to its senses and provide some monies for stocking to continue or at least make it part of the SIP scheme.
    12 cars in the car park this morning when I drove past at 5.30.
    over 180 bass caught today by 5 anglers that i know so certainly no lockjaw yet.
    Cheers
    Ray