Thread: Ebay recovery tracks

Ebay recovery tracks

Well we've all seen the branded recovery tracks getting about that retail for around the $300 mark but I found some on ebay under $100 that carry almost identical specs, so my question is, are the $300 branded versions 3x better than the ebay stuff?

If nobody has a set of the cheapies, I'd be happy to give my thoughts at a later date as I'm almost certain to get a set at this price and if they aren't up to scratch, then I haven't wasted too much coin.

Re: Ebay recovery tracks

Dunno on the cheapies but you can get maxtrax on 20-25% off at some of the big retailers when on sale ... I got mine for $215.
    The Tred ones are also on sale from time to time.

I have seen images of the cheap ones in pieces on tracks. I've not seen images of the $200+ versions in pieces.

I just picked up some recovery tracks from Aldi on the weekend for $129. Had to go to 3 stores as they had all run out by lunchtime.

They look good,are sturdy plastic for my cruiser to drive on and come with a 2 yr warranty and I am not wasting $300 in my shed.

Sure they're not MAX TRAX but they will still do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by first_mate View Post
    I have seen images of the cheap ones in pieces on tracks. I've not seen images of the $200+ versions in pieces.
    Closer to $300.....

I picked up a set from ebay for $89 delivered. Clicked the 'Buy it now' button at about 8.30am and they were at my door by 10am the following morning.

I don't really get bogged much nowadays but my young fella wants to go to Fraser later this year and I have agreed to let him take my car. He will have 2 weeks of beach driving to practice when he comes with me in September so hopefully this will boost his experience to a point where he won't need to rely on them too much either. But it will be good for him to have a something that he can rely on getting himself out of trouble rather than relying on somebody for a snatch with poor / dangerous techniques as I know he would just agree to what ever they told him.

If they end up in pieces, well so be it, but I can destroy three sets and still be in front cost wise and since I'm not a hard core 4wder that's pushing it to the extreme on the tracks each weekend I think these things will do me just fine for the short term. If they are genuinely shite, then I will consider the real thing. I'm pretty certain the young bloke will get us bogged at some point while we are there in Sept to test them out.

On another note, I'm certainly looking forward to our family trip to Fraser this year as I will have a dedicated driver for pretty much the first time ever as the missus was pretty hopeless on the sand and I could never really just kick back and have a drink for the day....

Kev

Hi Kev,

How'd you go? Interested to hear how the tracks went?

Cheers
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by TroyVIS View Post
    Hi Kev,

How'd you go? Interested to hear how the tracks went?

Cheers
    Troy
    Hey Troy, the cheap tracks did the job nicely. We didn't really get stuck that badly at any point but these just negate the need to get some numpty to snatch you out of bother.

To give the lad some practice with them I reversed back up the Ngkala track and dug it right down. As we only had the one set of these tracks, they went down in front of the front tyres and the car gripped after initially spinning on them for a second and then we pulled straight up and out. Took a bit of skin off them though

I will be getting a second pair as with just the one set it wasn't as easy as I saw people doing it with two pairs. And for the price it is very affordable.

IMG_2461.jpgIMG_2461.jpg

Try not to spin the wheels on any of the Trax. A good trick is to carry a couple of strips of carpet the same dimensions as the Trax, put these on top of the Trax and it should minimise spin damage.

We just completed a trip around the top half of Australia. We had 4 x MAX TRAX and our mate had the cheap ebay ones. The MAX TRAX were far better. The MAX TRAX would pull under without digging out too much, while the cheap ebay jobs you would have to fully dig out and even dig enough out so you could get the cheap mat under the tyre. We towed a 5m Top Ender on a 4WD trailer and we reversed onto the MAX TRAX every beach launch to give a run up when getting out, we never had a drama at all. You get what you pay for IMHO.

You do know your local landscaping joint carries pine sleepers for under $20 each...........

I picked up two sets of treds at anaconada. 160 a set. Looked at the eBay ones but figured if I get in that much sh#t that I needed them then I wanted to be able rely on them. Only bought them as I was towing a 2 tonne van up the beach. Never needed them though.