Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rated shackles - now a legal requirement when towing?

Rated shackles - now a legal requirement when towing?

I was told today that you must have a rated shackle attached when you are towing a boat or even a box trailer otherwise you risk a fine. I can't find anything online about other than a SA news article saying it was law down there. Anyone here know if this true for QLD?

Re: Rated shackles - now a legal requirement when towing?

Safety chain connections (shackles, pins or bolts)A suitable shackle is where:

the shackle is rated and complies with Australian Standard AS 2741-2002 “Shackles
    or other equivalent recognised standard; and

the break load limit of the shackle is rated at least 1.5 times greater than the ATM of
    the trailer.

Took this from Qld Transports Safe Towing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    I was told today that you must have a rated shackle attached when you are towing a boat or even a box trailer otherwise you risk a fine. I can't find anything online about other than a SA news article saying it was law down there. Anyone here know if this true for QLD?
    Are you referring to the 'D' shackles used for the safety chain to the tow bar point? I've not heard anything about this in Qld or the attachment below on safe towing in Qld.

I wouldn't overly concern yourself if this is something you have read relating to another State as each State & Territory has it's own rules regarding towing requirements but just keep yourself up to date by referring to Qld's requirements.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...wing_guide.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

It's a bloody joke .... that's all it is. Honestly (and I use rated shackles where I can - but 1.5 times the ATM ... Really? A shackle that size Wouldn't fit in most standard car tow bars!) why a rated shackle when the chain can be welded on to the trailer by anyone ... yes, anyone! So who rates the weld? Who rates the chain for that matter! Christ on a bike talk about a nanny state!!
    Jim

yeah mate its all true. transport have been sitting at the boat ramp at tin can checking us all! also they are checking the chains now ever third link has to be stamped. My brother works at corvett qld and does the rebuilds on the caravans its a new thing they have had to do on all there vans.. biggest joke around and money raising bullshit like normal..

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    It's a bloody joke .... that's all it is. Honestly (and I use rated shackles where I can - but 1.5 times the ATM ... Really? A shackle that size Wouldn't fit in most standard car tow bars!) why a rated shackle when the chain can be welded on to the trailer by anyone ... yes, anyone! So who rates the weld? Who rates the chain for that matter! Christ on a bike talk about a nanny state!!
    Break Load Limit mate - Not WLL. Break load limit is about 6 times WLL. Car will only typically tow 3.5t so a 1 tonne shackle is heaps.

D shackles are one of the many things checked by the transport guys.
    The purpose of a safety chain is safety not decoration have a read of the link posted by littleskipper before having a rant about nanny state.
    Also the chain has to comply with Australian standards .
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Break Load Limit mate - Not WLL. Break load limit is about 6 times WLL. Car will only typically tow 3.5t so a 1 tonne shackle is heaps.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ison View Post
    yeah mate its all true. transport have been sitting at the boat ramp at tin can checking us all! also they are checking the chains now ever third link has to be stamped. My brother works at corvett qld and does the rebuilds on the caravans its a new thing they have had to do on all there vans.. biggest joke around and money raising bullshit like normal..
    Ha ha ... Bring it on ! My trailer doesn't even have chains .... It has cables and hooks!
    Registered that way from new with QLD Transport too ..... should be quite an interesting conversation if it happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Ha ha ... Bring it on ! My trailer doesn't even have chains .... It has cables and hooks!
    Registered that way from new with QLD Transport too ..... should be quite an interesting conversation if it happens.
    As i said read the pdf file cable and hooks quite legal as long as they comply.
    Cheers
    Ray

Provided your cables and hooks meet the required specs you should be fine. Main points are whether one or two is required, short enough to prevent the trailer contacting the road and required size(WLL) for the trailers ATM. The downside to cable is that it needs to be substantially larger for the same WLL.

Unfortunately they had to do something for the safety of other road users. Some of the set ups I have seen over the years leave a little to be desired to say the least - you see plenty of people using non load rated snap clips because they are too lazy to do up a shackle. Not worth a jatz cracker if required to actually do the job. In my younger days before I knew any better I just used a padlock - not so good either.

Here we go again..... Just like the cargo nets......

If they are worried about protecting road users maybe they should be looking at the trailer builders??... As has already been said a weld around half a link to 3mm wall RHS won't be rated anywhere near the shackle.....

As with the cargo nets I bet we can't come up with a first hand account of being booked for a non rated D shackle....

Just read the PDF regarding towing... The key word in the statement about the shackles is 'recommended'....to be enforced it would need to read 'shall'....

We are simply living in a nanny state run by Campbell idiot and Mr Scabbott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.