Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Re: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Thats the plan Julian, but as I have not skippered for this area before one of the temptations is to look around and before you know it, you end up doing so much looking around you do very little fishing. I want to settle in at one or two spots and fish them hard. There are some seagulls hovering already looking for handouts, so I better come home with a few nice fish to brag about or I may as well stay home. I only have two fenders, but I figure that will be enough if everyone else has at least two i should be sweet. Might see you over here later, Pete and I are already getting serious with boat preparation, lots happening + getting the tow 4x4 serviced with new shocks going in this week.

Scalem

Ok everyone, only 18 days to go so start finalising plans, leave etc. Remember, the more the merrier.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Still all good for me mate. Just need the weather to play.
    Who else is in?

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Still all good for me mate. Just need the weather to play.
    Who else is in?
    Puts hand up!

Me and Scalem have been meeting a few times to organise a few details. Getting really keen for the trip, it's soooooo close now!

Got the 4 of us from here so far and I am waiting on a couple more from here and a couple from the facebook page to confirm.

I am probably looking to leave brissy early to mid afternoon on Friday, for an early start Saturday, or even head out in the dark if conditions suit.
    What have you blokes planned in doing?

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    I am probably looking to leave brissy early to mid afternoon on Friday, for an early start Saturday, or even head out in the dark if conditions suit.
    What have you blokes planned in doing?
    We're planning to leave around 4PM, so will roll into 1770 10-11PM depending on the roads. We were thinking then of fueling up in the AM when the servo opens and then launch. Ozy said the servo has limited open times, I think he said they close at 11 or so and open at 5AM.

The next question is, Lady Musgrave or Fitzroy. I'm in favour of Fitzroy myself.

Yep, Julian you are a legend mate thanks for all your help and generousity. I have enough lead droppers and gear to put a dent in the fuel economy towing it all up there, but it should all be worth it! As soon as I have triple checked my list of things Friday I will be headed up to pick Pete up from Caloundra. I am hoping to be well clear of caloundra by lunch time. We are installing a new set of six rocket launchers this weekend.... Just wait till the missus gets the bank card statement in the mail on all the goodies I have been buying for the trip, and I haven't even left yet! She might tell me to stay awhile.... happy to meet up at Caloundra turn off or servo if the times match up with anyone else Rtp 1984

Scalem

Yep servo opens at 5am and closes at 11pm. Am working on the FB crew to get them coming as well.

Getting close now boys. Hopefully the weather spits out a weekend worthy.
    I really need some banter going here to get the juices flowing.

Is someone still prepared to throw some of us green horns some starter marks?

ill touch base with the brissy boys closer to the time to see if we can convoy up at all.

Cheers Rob

I can give you some marks mate. There are never any fish there when I use them so your welcome to them......

We need to nut out a location boys, this will dictate how much fuel to bring along. Musgrave of Fitzroy. Lets decide.

Lads, I would say that there is more options closer to Fitzroy, but a clear majority of my bigger reds have come from closer to Musgrave.
    For you guys making your first trip to the bunker group, the way I see it there are basically 3 different methods employed up there...
    1. is to target reds in 40-60m depths. There is heaps of little bombies and pinnacles spread throughout the area...fkin heaps. Fishing the pinnacles as you normally would for snapper will result in a mixed bag of hussar,parrot, cod,and the occasional red. Drifting the flatter ground AROUND any pinnacles OR patches of bait within a 1klm radius is a surer method of latching onto a freight train red. Gear required is normally a decent overhead running 50-80lb main line with 80-100lb leader. Big flesh baits...BIG. Like a whole 30cm mullet would not be out of place. Normally though, big mullet or hussar fillets...even hussar heads have brought results. What I'm trying to get at is, a pilly on a 4/0 is not going to cut it. Ps, live fusiliers caught in the reef shallows and hung 5m off the bottom in red territory is a also a VERY good method.

2. Fishing the 15-30m broken ground around the islands/reefs. Generally, this is where you will pick up your table size coral trout. These are a favourite and will normally have your Mrs sending you fishing again when the fillets run out, SO HIGHLY WORTH THE EFFORT! This is normally a drifting exercise for me, but dropping the pick on the right patch of ground works well too.
    Gear and tactics for this can be a bit more broad, and I'm planning to drop big plastics on 30lb braid/40lb leader. The usual bait techniques pay off well here too, with regular bycatch being nice red-throat and various cod...even jacks!
    You can go through a bit of tackle because of the ground fished, so my usual outfit was straight 30lb lo-stretch mono with a 5/0, running ball (smallish) on top of the hook, with squid or flesh baits being my pick.

3. Last method used is one of my all time favourites out at the reefs. It's basically fishing in 4-7m amongst the bombies and reef edge on the NW protected corners. This is easy, fun fishing. I normally anchor the boat on a sandy patch amongst the bombies, and throw unweighted baits away from the boat. This is red-throat emporer territory, and guaranteed to have you panicking like a lost child one minute, and giggling hysterically the next. Pulling 2-3kg RTE out of 5m of crystal clear water is something you won't forget in a hurry, trust me.
    The gear I use for this is the same as previous, 30lb straight mono, just because of the nasty ground. Having said that, this year I'm going to give the braid and plastics a run, just for something different.
    Ps this method is often employed in the lagoon when anchored up for the night. Providing you have selected a suitable location with bombies in the near vicinity, don't be surprised to hook 2-4kg spangled emporer while you are enjoying dinner and a beer! Great fun!

Hope that gives you newbies some handy info, and something to get excited about.

Damo.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    We need to nut out a location boys, this will dictate how much fuel to bring along. Musgrave of Fitzroy. Lets decide.
    Not quite true mate. Fitzroy is only 5km further than Musgrave from 1770 so fuel wise not much different. What makes the difference is how wide and far you want to go after Fitzroy or Musgrave....
    I am happy to do either but think that Fitzroy may give more options?

I'm running an extra 3 cans ( 60 ltrs) so after that I don't really mind. I'll be sticking to whatever you guys recommend. Is there any truth in what someone suggested the bird population at lady musgrave will turn your bimini to different shades of white, or is that only close to the island? I don't mind, whatever ....

Scalem