Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Re: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    I agree, my TD 2.8 Pajero needs all the help it can get. Plans to sleep close to the ramp is Very much a possibility Julian. My crew lives at Caloundra , might arrange to meet you at a yet to be confirmed servo or bus stop once I have Peters esky and gear loaded. I will be leaving shailer park to caloundra and then onwards from there. Not sure what time you were thinking though, after 3 on a Friday night is a be arch ( predictive text but I like it!)north of the gateway.

Scalem
    I think our plan is to leave Bethania around 7ish to give the traffic some time to die down. Which means we'll be rolling into 1770 at around 1ish in the AM. Enough time to fuel up then sleep at the ramp. The car park there has lots of room to have a snooze.

Just a heads up Julian, the servo closes at 11.30pm here and reopens at 5.30 in the morning. Another idea if you are arriving that late is to stop and sleep in the pub car park, drive down the hill to the servo at opening then onto the ramp from there.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Might have some more attendees soon.
    Is anyone keen for shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Might have some more attendees soon.
    Is anyone keen for shirts?
    Sure would be.

Might need some help on this one mate as my access to shirts, embroiders etc is limited.

Ok shirts are happening. Will post up details once we have them.

New to the site and have a 555 with a 115 4 stroke. Might be interested weather permitting. Have fished up there a few times so know my limits with fuel etc. I average 2km/l so usually only carry 1 jerry incase of emergencies. Scalem you don't have to go too far from Musgrave to catch a red mate. In fact you can get them before you get there. Usually fish the 60-65m ground for them which is only around 15-20km from Musgrave.

Cheers Leo

Awesome mate, would be good to have another boat along. 2km/l I wish...

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Just a heads up Julian, the servo closes at 11.30pm here and reopens at 5.30 in the morning. Another idea if you are arriving that late is to stop and sleep in the pub car park, drive down the hill to the servo at opening then onto the ramp from there.
    just an amendment to this post. The servo hours are 5am till 11pm.

Just had another boat say they are coming. This was via the Yalta Craft Owners Fb page.

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    New to the site and have a 555 with a 115 4 stroke. Might be interested weather permitting. Have fished up there a few times so know my limits with fuel etc. I average 2km/l so usually only carry 1 jerry incase of emergencies. Scalem you don't have to go too far from Musgrave to catch a red mate. In fact you can get them before you get there. Usually fish the 60-65m ground for them which is only around 15-20km from Musgrave.

Cheers Leo
    Leo, 1stly welcome to the site, with your experience it's obvious you will be a valued contributor. I can achieve similar economy with my 4s but need to keep the revs down to do it, so if it's a glass out and one or two have faster motors ie: 150 and travelling together I am happy to up the fuel burn so others are not waiting for me. Also, can you guys give me a view on anchoring? Do you anchor in 65mtrs for your reds Leo or find a school and pass over them? If you don't anchor and reposition by starting the motor to move for another drift, and still only need one more jerry, that's an accurate picture for me. I hate anchoring and prefer to avoid it unless for settling down for the night. What type of anchor does everyone use, coral anchor? Drive off with float?

Scalem

Hi everyone, how are you all?

im just touching base, I am getting pretty keen on the trip, looks like we might have a pretty good turn out too.

This will be my first run up there also, so I hope I can get a few pointers off a few of you regulars with starting marks and things.

I have a 115 4 stroke, and usually pull around the 1.8 km/l mark, but I think I will be takeonv between 2 and 4 jerries, as if the weather suits, I may stay a second night out ag sea.

What do you blokes do for bait, will you the some bait, and rely on fresh bait you catch, of take a heap, and try and keep it frozen?

Thanks
    Rob

Scalem I don't anchor and in saying I don't take much spare fuel I usually do day trips not overnight with another whole day of travelling so maybe a bit more might be wise. It could be done just need to fish reasonably close to where ever you anchor for the night. One spot I fish is 80km from the ramp but only about 15km from Musgrave. You could fish there for the day then anchor at Musgrave for the night then return there the next day and still make it back with plenty to spare I reckon. As for bait usually take mullet fillets, squid and pilchard and use as starter bait then use hussar etc from there on in. Don't discount a large squid with a pilchard up him. Have caught more than one Red on this!
    Cheers
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Hi everyone, how are you all?

im just touching base, I am getting pretty keen on the trip, looks like we might have a pretty good turn out too.

This will be my first run up there also, so I hope I can get a few pointers off a few of you regulars with starting marks and things.

I have a 115 4 stroke, and usually pull around the 1.8 km/l mark, but I think I will be takeonv between 2 and 4 jerries, as if the weather suits, I may stay a second night out ag sea.

What do you blokes do for bait, will you the some bait, and rely on fresh bait you catch, of take a heap, and try and keep it frozen?

Thanks
    Rob
    Hey Rob!

i'm planning on doing 3 days, two nights myself. The second day and night I wanna head North. I'll be bringing 4 - 6 jerries with me. As for bait, take lots of mullet fillets, pillies and squid. If the weather is nice enough we can raft up outside Musgrave. We found some nice ground to anchor up on on the Southside of Musgrave near, but not in the green zone.

I use a reef pick and a float for my anchor system up there. I also carry a spare spindle of 100mtr rope and anchor. Just in case I also carry my sand anchor.

I've got some marks around Musgrave, I'll do up some to share with everyone who is going.

--julian

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Leo, 1stly welcome to the site, with your experience it's obvious you will be a valued contributor. I can achieve similar economy with my 4s but need to keep the revs down to do it, so if it's a glass out and one or two have faster motors ie: 150 and travelling together I am happy to up the fuel burn so others are not waiting for me. Also, can you guys give me a view on anchoring? Do you anchor in 65mtrs for your reds Leo or find a school and pass over them? If you don't anchor and reposition by starting the motor to move for another drift, and still only need one more jerry, that's an accurate picture for me. I hate anchoring and prefer to avoid it unless for settling down for the night. Today is especially relevant for me to be saying this as I had a hernia Opp today! No heavy lifting for 4 to six weeks. The trip is far enough away for me not to be concerned but won't be lifting anchors. (Hope Pete is ok with this)What type of anchor does everyone use, coral anchor? Drive off with float?

Scalem
    yeah def get a float mate, so easy.