Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 Metre Boat capsizes in Moreton Bay

Re: 6 Metre Boat capsizes in Moreton Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    i was out at Peel Thursday morning came in about 0930 winds about 10 gusting to 15. nothing a boat that size shouldn't be able to handle. we were in a 4.5m tinnie and a little bit of spray that's all. maybe too much yamahardness for the hull! would have been fine if he had etecs!
    what happens if the props aren't counter rotating, just a thought
    Counter rotating gearboxes shouldn't make a difference, I have spent many of years in said waters in the early days I had a 12 foot tinny in and around this area.

Whilst I got caught coming home a few times (due to the fact that the internet wasn't readily available and wind predictions were done by the sway of the trees) you simply navigated to the conditions.

Something stinks here I don't know what it is but it just doesn't sound right that a six meter boat can turn turtle in 10-15 knot winds just south of Green Island.

Whilst I have heard of and can respect that rouge waves can and do pop up in Moreton Bay from time to time something simply does not sit right surrounding this.

I'm glad there were no injuries and I hope that the findings from any investigation that may occur are shared for learning purposes for the wider boating community.
    Cheers Axl

It looks like a Salty plate boat from the gold coast with that trawler cabin design.

MOJOE"S.....see what happens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    It looks like a Salty plate boat from the gold coast with that trawler cabin design.

MOJOE"S.....see what happens!!!

Now now Soulfish...
    One mono rolls over.
    Statics ally I do recall more Cat's going over on their backs ( Well, that I have seen on the news over the years ).

Can't wait to get you on Moejoes. 25 to 30knot following seas.
    I'll have a Dummy on standby LOL.

Interesting hatch in the bottom of the hull!

I came through there yesterday about 10-15 northerly's runout tide and I must say coming from peel it was sloppy and just that crap angle when you are landing on the back of the chop for about mile it seemed worse than the rest of the trip . who knows the driver might have only just started with bigger boats. Just putting it out there
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    Interesting hatch in the bottom of the hull!
    That's the escape hatch. Only joking. That will be the transducer window if she's a survey vessel.

I'm with you on this one Rob. More cats rolled over then the RSPCA have saved.lol
    I find it funny with all these assumptions of what happen,lets just wait and see hey.

The problem with cats is that when one side fills with water they are really just a very out of balance mono anyway LOL

Quote Originally Posted by outwide1 View Post
    I'm with you on this one Rob. More cats rolled over then the RSPCA have saved.lol
    I find it funny with all these assumptions of what happen,lets just wait and see hey.
    Hahaha
    That's funny

the only prob with that is mate is I doubt very much that anybody will ever get told what actually happened let alone put their name to it
    happy days ahead summer is coming

First go at testing trim tabs??? Can get a little hectic if you only trim 1....

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes1 View Post
    Now now Soulfish...
    One mono rolls over.
    Statics ally I do recall more Cat's going over on their backs ( Well, that I have seen on the news over the years ).

Can't wait to get you on Moejoes. 25 to 30knot following seas.
    I'll have a Dummy on standby LOL.

Let me know where your heading and ill come and get you two. Jason dont forget to wear nappies!

Come on mate it will all come down to a skipper pushing a boat beyond its capabilities and a hull that gave little indication of what was about to take place. Lucky it was at green Island and not 100k's offshore.

All i know is poor mono broaches and a poor cat digs in. Both in the hands of a twit are as equally dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Come on mate it will all come down to a skipper pushing a boat beyond its capabilities and a hull that gave little indication of what was about to take place. Lucky it was at green Island and not 100k's offshore.

All i know is poor mono broaches and a poor cat digs in. Both in the hands of a twit are as equally dangerous.
    I'm out. If i keep going i won't get another invite on the cat again. Not all monos broach,owned 2 cruise crafts now and it was never a issue what so ever.
    I may of struck a nerve Rob.lol

I wouldn't worry too much. He told us he was driving a mono at Easter time. LOL. Sorry Keith. Not really a laughing matter mate.