Thread: Pumicestone Passage - Fish ID

Pumicestone Passage - Fish ID

After some advice from fellas on this forum I took the Argentinian in-laws to the passage for a fish.

Started later than I'd have liked, which happens when fishing with the family, and headed to Ningi Creek mouth. Dropped the crab pots on the way.

After 2 hours of pulling in 10cm bream bad nothing else we decided to check the pots and head out to the bay. Got one small mud crab and one small Sandy which went back.

Moved the pots and headed to the bay where we anchored up and caught a few small whiting, flathead and a toad fish.

This wasn't getting the job done so we pulled the anchor and had a drift. There were the occasional large fish/shark/??? Busting but didn't hook anything of size. Heaps more miniature Flatties and whiting until we pulled in a few Remora. Are they common here?

At 3pm with no dinner in the bits we headed in and hooked the fish in the pic. Is this a small mackerel? Went 40cm but as I didn't know what it was it went back like every other edible fish I've caught recently.

Pulled the pots for one tiny leather jacket.

Poor fishing all in all but the in-laws loved the passage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Pumicestone Passage - Fish ID

school mackeral and needs to be 50cm and above and those fish jumping were tuna.

Re: Pumicestone Passage - Fish ID

Yeah that's what I thought. Cheers for the confirmation.

Did you hook any tuna?