Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

Re: Turbo Diesel auto dual cab - which has the best engine auto combination.

No but you can buy one and have it converted: http://www.usautos.com.au/
    Not sure if they do the above model but I think they cover all Rams.

You can let them import one for you, they will convert, comply and register or you can buy a new one ( they can do very late model used, one or two YO ) in USA import it and give it to them to convert and comply.
    Conversion and compliance will set you back around the $35-40k plus the cost of the truck+ shipping+ GST for the truck and shipping cost. You will be looking at least $100k +.

Im driving a 2014 Colorado auto and im more than happy with it . More torque than the current Ranger and same kwts. I read a review which said they were a lousy road car, but I really enjoy it on the road from Cairns to Port Douglas all the time. Tows my 6 metre boat like a dream. Uses a bit more fuel in auto than my previous two colorados with the Izuzu 3 litre motors, but they are the most fuel efficient I have found having driven them for 6 years.
    Ive only done 9000 kms so far and im rapt.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Thanks Odes, I being leaning towards the DMAX the more I look around yards the more I see vehicles that have not aged well. the DMax and the hilux seem to hold up a bit better when they get some age on them. it would be interesting to how the current crop of auto's will hold up in 10 yrs

BigE

I'll throw in a vote for the navara considering it doesn't have any yet. I bought an st manual in 2011 and can't fault it. I'm soon to upgrade to the new release series 7 auto for 40k including everything you could want for a general tow and play truck including reverse camera, gps, hard drive for music, traction, safety, off road ability ect.

In my opinion a very well equipped and comfortable work truck and family vehicle. I tow 2.5 tonne regularly at 90 to 100km hour to Sydney from Brisbane and do it comfortably. Not one mechanical issue yet touch wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a personal opinion. I tow a Seafarer Victory. I used to have a Navara. While it would do the job I never ever really felt it was safe at above about 70 kph. In the wet even less so. Even with the sensa brake system a slightly harsher than normal braking manouvre at 60kph in the wet had the back end all squirrelly and the excitement levels sky rocketing. I traded it on a 200 series GXl. It is like chaulk and cheese. It feels completely under control even at highway speeds and when you stomp on the brakes it just stops.

My point is that if you are towing largish rigs there is simply no substitute for horsepower with a good torque curve and sheer vehicle bulk. There is a good reason so many grey nomads are driving the likes of cruisers, F trucks, Silverados and the likes when the price of fuel is what it is.
    How this translates to the current crop of mid range dual cabs you can interpret for yourself but it is something to keep in mind. If you can, I'd be trying to get a drive with a load on the back be it with a mate or otherwise.

I have a Dodge Ram 2500.
    I would buy another .. and another .... and another ... you get the point

I have an stx navara 4 cylinder , Scott 3 years old, with power chip and old man emu medium springs all round. After a lot of comments from others that they would not tow larger boats, I dragged a 7m coastal cat to 1770, around 3t loaded. Sat on 100, could have done 110 all the way. The boat owner had used a lot of other tow vehicles and swears this is the best tow rig he has ever used. They have the longest wheel base of all, including landcruiders etc and most power. I have 160kw and 540NM (according to steinbauer) with 4 cylinder Rego. Clutches may be a week point although I have not had an issue. Stock suspension is very soft also. The v6 would have to be better again compared go the 4 cylinder. Pity they are only 3t rated, I believe new model comes out end of the year, so hopefully 3.5t and more power. ... the stock older 127kw models may have been light on for power, I had one of those as well.

Of the dual cab utes , I think these ticked the right boxes for towing. fold up rear seats are great as well!

Hi Darren,

Wasn't a shot at the Navara as such mate. I had the STR so a bit lighter but still "rated" to 2800 kilos. As for clutches, they are a problem for pretty much all brands nowadays but a lot of that can come down to the driver or the individual vehicle. I had one client with a STX that killed three in 100 000k's. All the modern small engines can be made to put out a heap of grunt. The key element is the usable torque curve. My neighbour had a Pathfinder and used to have to ride the clutch and give it the beans to back his camper up a modest slope in 2wd and for me even with the 3 litre engine trying to get the victory into the yard without low 4 was either a clutch burning or non event. The clutch obviously won't be an issue for the OP as he wants an auto but all of these little motors work pretty bloody hard once you weigh them down. One of the reasons I suspect people rave about the Amarock is the fact thay did away with the transfer and replaced it with ultra low gearing. I suspect if it had a "standard type" 4wd box the thing would be flat out getting away from the lights on an incline with a decent sort of load in tow unless you switched to low range to get up the hill. My comment wasn't so much that you can't do it with the current crop of small engined diesel 4wd utes because you obviously can, but that the larger capacity and typically heavier type turbo diesels are always going to do it easier and certainly safer when it comes to pulling up.

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    I have a Dodge Ram 2500.
    I would buy another .. and another .... and another ... you get the point
    Would love one but can only just get the 200 in the garage. Bloody tiny garages

. I think the older ones may have been a different story. The older stx I had in a d40 would also have struggled on power. I know someone who extended a cruiser waggon converted too a tray back, the extra wheel base helped towing a 2400kevla cat. The navaras are also geared a little tall in first , which I think explains some of the clutch issues. I guess auto could be the answer but I haves always had manuals. Three v6 r auto only maybe for that reason. I do know someone who was towing a 5m shark cat, about 2t. He was allergic to nissans, but admitted , when he ultimately got his new v8 cruiser , that the navarA towed as well and maybe even sat better probably due to wheel base (but power not comparable obviously).

Yeah the cruisers suspension is pretty soft and does need an upgrade if you have a high towball weight. Personally though I love it. After many years of driving the Nav, which by the way was an excellent vehicle, I was sick to death of having my kidneys belted every time I found a bump. Not the Nav's fault - just the nature of the beast. My Victory's towball down weight doesn't seem to drop the back of the cruiser too far and the ride by comparison is like a limo. The other thing I used to try and avoid for reasons already discussed was steep hillstarts at lights. You could do it but you could tell the car wasn't really happy about it.

There's mention of manual->auto conversion packages for the 76 series cruisers on exploroz http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/....aspx%3fpn%3d1
    Also mention of a possible auto option in future.

Well guys I put my money down on a 2014 colorado turbo diesel auto.

Started a new thread for comments and advice on the TD world.

Thanks for all the comments

BigE

I just bought a D-Max Auto Space Cab ute. After hours and hours of research both on the net and in person it came up trumps in the towing/reliability dept. Comfortable two front seats plus 2 jump seats in the rear (which converts to a large storage space by folding up the seats when not used as seating) for the very, very odd occasion there is more than 2 in the vehicle. 4 cylinder, 3 litre motor delivers a heap of get up and go grunt with the economy (rego included) of a 4 cylinder vehicle. Isuzu trucks are amongst the world leaders so stands to reason their 4 x 4's will be too.

Did it not win an award last year?

Sorry to through a new slant on this but I bought a BT50 dual cab to tow a 2000kg boat and yes just like everyone else did the research and it tows like a dream. However apparently if you select High/low range or Dif lock on hard ground and turn your steering you finish up with a binding issue. Wheels jump and skip at low speed when trying to reverse or tow out of boat ramp. Fine if you are in the loose stuff but only occurs on hard ground. Have been told this is the case with the new 4x4 as there is no centre differential. Thought I would bring this up as a lot of people buy a 4x4 for towing but never use it in High/low range. Anyone else come across this issue.
    Thanks