Thread: Be part of the solution: report illegal fishing activities

Be part of the solution: report illegal fishing activities

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

5 February 2014

Be part of the solution: report illegal fishing activities

Fishers are reminded to keep a look out for illegal fishing activities and report them immediately to authorities.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Peter Dixon said officers had received a number of reports recently for suspected illegal fishing activities, but were limited in their ability to investigate as the activity had occurred many months prior.

“Public information on suspected illegal fishing is essential for us to ensure compliance with fishing rules and, in turn, maintain the sustainability of our fisheries,” Mr Dixon said.

“We need detailed and timely information to track illegal fishing activities.

“If sufficient detail is provided, an investigation may be undertaken. Less detailed information is retained for intelligence purposes.

“People who suspect illegal fishing activities shouldn’t engage with the illegal fisher as this could compromise an investigation and their personal safety. They should simply:

• record the date, time and area of where the activity is occurring
    • record any vehicle registration numbers and their descriptions
    • record any boat registration numbers and their descriptions
    • give the details of the person or people involved if they are known
    • give an accurate description of the activity involved
    • ring their local QBFP office or the Fishwatch hotline to pass on this information.

“Photos or video of the activity occurring can greatly assist investigations, but should only be taken when it is safe to do so.

“We also need people to report suspect activities to us as soon as possible, as it can become difficult for us to investigate after a period of time has passed.”

Mr Dixon said all information is valuable, and members of the public were encouraged to report any suspected illegal fishing activity to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116, their local QBFP office or via the Fishwatch form at www.facebook.com/FisheriesQueensland.

“Information received via the Facebook form is processed during normal business hours. For immediate attention you should phone the hotline.

“Fishwatch is a 24-hour free hotline designed for people to report illegal fishing activities.

“Callers can remain anonymous, however if they leave contact details it allows us to make follow-up enquiries should we require further information and provide feedback on the outcome of the investigation.

“By working together, we can protect our valuable fish stocks for current and future generations.”

For more information on fishing rules in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Re: Be part of the solution: report illegal fishing activities

Tried the fish watch line once ended up getting an Indian bloke who didn't know what a fish was and any other time I see guys going blatantly over their limit especially on palm beach reef for spotties you can be surrounded by anywhere up to 20 boats breaking there limit the only way to stop them is to yell at them and abuse them, yet you can guarantee if a commercial guy did something wrong you'd be there in a heartbeat, easy to police that place but I guess you know why look through you prosecution results and see how many guys have been busted for over their limit of spotties in qld I bet you won't find one I wonder why that is.

My experience about ten yrs ago was I could not give the details of an offence to them because I could not reach anyone who gave a shit about a report. I really hope this attitude has changed.
    Jack.

I spent over an hour a few weeks ago trying to get someone, anyone to pick up 2 crab pots I was unable to retrieve (due to catastrophic failure of my inflatable tender - the whole transom came unglued). I rang dept after dept and noone could help with organising to pick up two brand new ghost pots. No money for patrols, no can do, not our problem etc etc were some of the answers I got. Out of the way location you ask? Nope - Sandy Straits. North White Cliffs anchorage to be precise.

Thankfully a passing yachty heard my conversation to CG Sandy Straits and stopped to give me a hand. Ended up giving him a massive (possibly the bigest I've ever seen) buck as thanks and kept two big ones for ourselves.

Over the years on here are many stories of a Fisheries being rang to report illegal activity and 99% of the time NOTHING happens.

They're too busy paying maths boffins millions to extrapolate rubbish data to tell us how many fish we catch to have anything left over for patrols and enforcement.

Here's a bloody good idea. How about QLD starts it's own quasi version of Fisheries reserve. Kind of like the army reserve, except recreational anglers can volunteer to become accredited inspection officers. Obviously checks and balances need to be done but, upstanding private citizens that chose to do the required training can pull up someone they see doing the wrong thing and issue infringement notices.

It it may sound far fetched but it could easily be pulled off with the right fisheries and political leadership..... Right now there are individuals out there that are laughing at fisheries and the rest of Us that do the right thing. How much do you think that would be curbed if every single recreational boat was potentially an accredited inspection officer ready to catch them in the act?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Over the years on here are many stories of a Fisheries being rang to report illegal activity and 99% of the time NOTHING happens.

They're too busy paying maths boffins millions to extrapolate rubbish data to tell us how many fish we catch to have anything left over for patrols and enforcement.

Here's a bloody good idea. How about QLD starts it's own quasi version of Fisheries reserve. Kind of like the army reserve, except recreational anglers can volunteer to become accredited inspection officers. Obviously checks and balances need to be done but, upstanding private citizens that chose to do the required training can pull up someone they see doing the wrong thing and issue infringement notices.

It it may sound far fetched but it could easily be pulled off with the right fisheries and political leadership..... Right now there are individuals out there that are laughing at fisheries and the rest of Us that do the right thing. How much do you think that would be curbed if every single recreational boat was potentially an accredited inspection officer ready to catch them in the act?
    Not as silly as it sounds in my opinion .
    Shawn

Lovey

I did a run with the QBFP one day and it was very interesting in the procedure they actually go through before they check a boat, during the check and after the check. I didn't realise the check was recorded, nor that they look you up before they approach. A 'volunteer' army would be difficult (but not impossible) to impliment. The QBFP are horribly undermanned and under funded, so that is where the issue lies.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

This is a tricky one. It always worries me to see citizens becoming informers, reporting on other citizens. I'm old enough to remember how that works out in countries that implement it. Problem is that it attracts people who love to police other people, and the principle also gets applied to bad laws as well as good.

That said, I see people harvesting the few remaining shellfish from the Victoria Point foreshore, and they don't stop even when taken to task about it.

I have no problem with a young bloke keeping an undersize whiting, because I understand how it feels for a kid, but I sure have a problem with a baitnetter keeping a bucket full.

So I agree that something has to happen, and fisheries will never have the resources to be everywhere. Nor do I want a police state. So I'm really interested to hear ideas on this. There has to be something that can be done, especially now that we all have access to video cameras. Maybe a ranger system, with a large highly visible sticker on a every ranger boat. It would only work if someone in authority could view these videos. Might deter some people if they thought that their activities were being scrutinized.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well You can say many thanks to Can't Do Campbell Newman for wrecking DPI fisheries making them more understaff/ overtime bans don't work many weekends & complete removal of the Volunteer's Fish Care Fishery's program ( was one myself) in which was an extension arm DPI fishery's officers in the field was an extra set's of Eye's see thing's happen and reported them but we had no enforcement powers (some people did get very angry when was there on boat ramp ) but we done lot education stuff out in amongst the public & some very happy to get help with fishing and identification & Rules
    A least I know DPI Fishery's Queensland go through and did try give some back to the fishing community
    Yes I know we get frustrated with the Hot line Number but more people ring in about illegal fishing activities & get few same calls in same area the will act on it and ones more serious nature as well you all known how hard to gather evidence & then prove it in court

Mitch
    PS I am always happy to see them out on the water
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Red, thanks for the info. I had not heard of the program. Pity it is still not there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk