Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transport Compliance - Inskip Point

Re: Transport Compliance - Inskip Point

coming back from double island a few years ago,off the beach heading home
    on one of those 90 degree bends on beach road, a heavily stacked cruiser ute coming toward us lost control on the corner and finished up on its roof.
    fortunately no one was hurt.
    there was a lot of grog that splattered over the road out of several eskies
    think old mate and the woman driver were quite happy we were there and not the police

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Every single 100/200 series cruiser (ok, not quite all 200s) you see with a rear wheel carrier (and spare on the back), scrub bars and steel bullbar is over GVM. Does it make them unsafe?
    Same likely applies for most GUs with bar work.
    Who on here knows their vehicle weight exactly when heading off for a trip?

Exactly
    How many people here say “my car can tow 3.5t ”
    Yeh it can but with just your backside in the car and no cargo.
    EG: no other passengers, bull bars, dual batteries, extra tanks, grog, 2nd spare tyres, food, fridges,
    roof racks
    One thing the car makers don’t point out when you speak to them is that tow weights are relative to loads of car and trailer.
    Can one of the “i think its a great idea people” post up how they have 100 percent guaranteed they are under their limit.

Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    Exactly
    How many people here say “my car can tow 3.5t ”
    Yeh it can but with just your backside in the car and no cargo.
    EG: no other passengers, bull bars, dual batteries, extra tanks, grog, 2nd spare tyres, food, fridges,
    roof racks
    One thing the car makers don’t point out when you speak to them is that tow weights are relative to loads of car and trailer.
    Can one of the “i think its a great idea people” post up how they have 100 percent guaranteed they are under their limit.
    Yep, 350kg ball weight tends to limit your payload when you only have ~600-700kgs to start with.

we seen the set up last year at eli creek doing roadworthies

From experience Gents your cruiser assumption is not exactly correct. If you place the wheel carrier or 2 in my case on the back(200 series) you have a GVM upgrade and that includes long range tank, bar, winches etc etc fully laden do not get to the GVM. The only time I get close is when I place a 3.5t van behind me and balance load between the two to stay legal
    Research the lcool forum for a better understanding

cheers

There are no GVM upgrades for a 100 series. I'd hazard a guess there are a lot more 'tarted up' and heavy 200 series that DON'T have a GVM upgrade than those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Who on here knows their vehicle weight exactly when heading off for a trip?
    I have a standard list of items I take for 4 wheel driving and for boating and if I've got the camper trailer and gear hooked up or the boat and gear hooked up I know how much I weigh because I made the effort to weigh the triton (and stuff) for both types of trips on a weigh bridge.

It's cheap and simple and I really don't know why more people don't do it. It would certainly reduce the complaints from people saying 'my ute chassis bent'! And if you stick to a pre prepared carry list then it only needs to be done once for the boat and once for the camper trailer (or caravan if that's your thing).
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Its not just 4WDs that people dont know the weight of.

How many of you know the actual weight of your boat/motor/trailer combo? Not what the dealer told you, but the actual weight now youve had it a while and filled it with all those bits and pieces that we tend to accumulate in our boats?

I do, because after i got it and had it completely set up, i took it to a weighbridge and weighed it both on and off the towbar, so I know its Atm and GTM weightS, and how much the tow bar downforce is. I also know with certainty that my trailer has sufficient weight capacity for the boat its carrying, with some leeway for extra loads when I am going on big trips.

So I know the starting point. I can then allow for extra gear i take on trips etc, so i always have a very good idea of how I am travelling.

It gives me peace of mind that if the scaleys are set up and i am one of the chosen ones, i will be fine.

Good idea to do this. If you dont want a weigbridge cetificate, the weigbridges at rubbish tips will often do this for you at no charge especially if you go at a quiet time during the week.

One other thing - ignorance of the law is not accepted as an excuse by the authorities.

They do, from ones i have spoken to, allow a bit of leeway (maybe 5% I think they said) if you are just slightly over, but dont expect a let-off if you are well outside the allowable range for your vehicle/trailer.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....