Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAINS TRAILER BOAT TRIP #2 - 18th-27th April 2014

SWAINS TRAILER BOAT TRIP #2 - 18th-27th April 2014

Gday guys,

Further on from the last years September attempt located at http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=swains

We have a couple of boats lined up to head out to the Swains over Easter from the 18th April through to the 27th.

Initial plan is to setup camp at the Percy Group of Islands, and then monitor the weather and pick a good 2-3 day Window for some reef fishing action. Particulars are as follows:

1. Arrive at Stanage Bay and launch for the Percy's on Friday 18th April 2014. Look to snag the morning lull.
    2. Setup camp on South Percy given its better beach for boats etc. (18th April)
    3. 19th-25th Pick our windows to head out to the swains for some GT action.
    4. 26th Pack up camp
    5. 27th Leave for home.

Of course these are all flexible based on personal preference.

Can I get a gauge of who might be keen for this adventure?

Re: SWAINS TRAILER BOAT TRIP #2 - 18th-27th April 2014

Trip plan

Leg 1 - stanage to Percy

Leg 2 - Percy to Swains

Overall -

The money -

Always keen mate..

The road into Stanage should be fine by Easter. The township has its annual fishing comp on over that weekend so there will be a couple of hundred extra fishos on the water but the Percys should be fine. Hopefully all the ducks line up and you get to fish the Swains. Its certainly not far once based at the Percys
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I think we are just thinking of going direct from Poon this year. We regularly fish 150kms so another 30 odd is nothing. Will be a last minute call up though if anyone wants me to throw it up here...its similar distance from 1770 and then you guys get to use the bunker group as a stop over to break it up.

Anyway... def on the bucket list and good call firing it up again.

Maybe, I'm just too keen and stuck at work at the moment too...

I'd normally be in but we have our big annual Western trip to Goodooga over Easter. I'll have to check the dates.
    Brett

I'm keen as well. Just have to see if i can scab the 3 days off. I'm pretty sure I can get the boat off the trailer with the tides that low.
    Cheers Brett

PS: I just checked and I will be fine getting the boat on and off the trailer.

PPS: Horse need I even ask if your keen on this trip??

Thanks for the interest fellas.

I will be making a documentary of the trip and putting it to DVD for the memories.

Time to start prepping the boat and getting things in order.

I will be towing a tinny/tender out to the Percy's so my initial
    Trip will be slow.

Bugger, going on a cruise to celebrate mums 70th that week!!! Can't make it 2 weeks before hand per chance?? I'd be keen to do at least a few days.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    I'm keen as well. Just have to see if i can scab the 3 days off. I'm pretty sure I can get the boat off the trailer with the tides that low.
    Cheers Brett

PS: I just checked and I will be fine getting the boat on and off the trailer.

PPS: Horse need I even ask if your keen on this trip??
    I had better start packing then Brett
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

This thread has been up for 26 hours and only 10 posts... WEIRD

Quote Originally Posted by kaypee View Post
    I think we are just thinking of going direct from Poon this year. We regularly fish 150kms so another 30 odd is nothing. Will be a last minute call up though if anyone wants me to throw it up here...its similar distance from 1770 and then you guys get to use the bunker group as a stop over to break it up.

Anyway... def on the bucket list and good call firing it up again.

Maybe, I'm just too keen and stuck at work at the moment too...
    I agree mate. I thought the same thing last year when they were planning. I would have to drive an extra 200 odd kilometres (a lot of shit dirt road too) to save going an extra 30 - 50km's at sea.

Karamea banks is right on course for the swains. You would be able to stop and have a fish on the way. Not to mention the grounds on the way to Karamea. And the ground north of the green zone.

I may be interested in going this year if leaving from Yeppoon and it is a glass out. I might have to invest in an auto pilot before then.

The only issue I had with yeppoon is that the extra distance is potentially an extra 100L fuel on board an already heavily loaded boat. I don't have a drama with it but thought some might?

The other consideration is that being beam on to a south easterly (yep-swains) compared to quartering (Stan-swains) could be an issue if there is any sort of slop to come about. Let's face it, it won't be a glass out lol

So headed out on Saturday morning for a fish around the keppels. She was pretty glassed out so we decided to go have a sneak out further. Ended up at Karamea banks which is well on the way to the Swains, and was a good trip out. We fished for quite a bit but the tidal run was too fierce so we trolled and picked up some macs.

Was a good trip out.

Coming back in she kicked up from the north to 2-3m and 25knts for half the trip back... Still managed to sit on 20-24knts with just the odd splash over the side so really looking good if we can get a good weather window...

The hardest part about the whole trip was getting back into Rosslyn Bay with a northerly 2-3m... She was a bit hairy and had the coastguard on alert for the stragglers coming back from Keppel for the day.

Sorry didn't meen to hit dislike!