View Poll Results: How do you dispatch the fish you take for a feed ?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Leave them to die in a bucket or in the sun

3 4.92%
  • 2. Bleed them out

7 11.48%
  • 3. Place them directly on ice or into an ice slurry

16 26.23%
  • 4. Knock them on the head

2 3.28%
  • 5. Iki Jime

2 3.28%
  • 6. Any one of options 2,4 or 5 then placed into ice (option 3)

31 50.82%

Thread: New IkiJime Apps

New IkiJime Apps

Just letting everyone know about the release of a new phone app which helps anglers dispatch fish humanely by the iki jime method of brain destruction.

Ikijime (also known as ikejime or brain spiking), is a Japanese method of killing fish. Brain spiking is the fastest and most humane way to kill fish, however Fish brains are small and vary in location between species groups, which in the past has been a barrier to the widespread uptake of the ikijime method. A new app called "Ikijime Tool", which is available for both I-phone and Android devices, helps by providing fishers with access to diagrams and x-rays of the brain location of over 80 species of fish from 33 of the fish families most commonly encountered by anglers throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Asia/Pacific region.

There are 3 versions of the app to cater for all types of fishing. The free “lite” version has limited online access to the fish database, while paying customers can download other versions of Ikijime Tool that have unlimited access to the online database, and “extreme” field versions that function even when fishers are in remote locations without phone or internet service.

Direct links to the Ikijime Tool App are as follows:
    ITunes
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ikij...704308194?mt=8
    Google Play
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.ikijimetool

Further information on humane dispatch of fish can be found on the web at www.ikijime.com. We plan to continually update the database so let us know if you want to see other species featured in the apps and we’ll try our best to accommodate you.

Re: New IkiJime Apps

Thanks Ben, I am sure many will appreciate the app.

Cheers and keep up the research.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks for the App! Just downloaded it and checked it out. A great little package for $3!
    I caught a lovely little snapper (67cms) in the Brisbane river a week or so ago, and my mate on board brain spiked it for me. The was a definite difference in taste and texture vs bleeding on ice.
    Cheers!

And I just noticed (from the website), that there's an 'extreme' version of the app, which doesn't require online connection... $5.50, which is nothing compared to what I spend on lures, fuel etc for a trip.
    So I downloaded that one too!
    Thanks again!

Edit: Just played with the 'extreme' version... Such much better than the normal version! don't need to wait for the images etc to load!

Just got extreme. Looks sweet.

Forgive my ignorance but if you brain spike it can you still bleed it out. I would have thought it better to bleed while the heart is pumping.

Good app though.
    Cheers Nic
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Yes, the heart muscle intrinsically contracts for 10 to 15 (or so) minutes after brain death, which is sufficient time to remove most/all of the blood. The heart keeps going until it runs out of fuel (glucose etc), which for it is supplied by blood. So brain spiking does not interfere with the bleeding process as the heart stops only after it runs out of blood, which happens whether the fish is spiked or not. I usually brain spike (after knocking larger fish (over 10kg) on the head first to stun them, especially if they are toothy like mackerel) then slit the throat and bleed them into a bucket of water for a couple of minutes before placing them on ice. The improvement in fillet quality is noticeable, and its humane for the fish.

Interesting that the poll shows a significant number of people place fish onto ice without first stunning or killing them. While this may be OK and result in quick death for smaller fish (< 30 cm) taken from warm water (> 25°C), it can result in stress and suboptimal results for larger fish or coldwater species. If ice is available, best practice is to kill them first before putting them onto ice or into ice slurry.

Just got told that the ikijime.com website is temporarily down at the moment due to server problems in the USA. I am being assured that the problem should be rectified ASAP. This will affect both the website as well as the Ikijime Tool and Ikijime Tool Lite apps. The Ikijime Tool Extreme app should remain unaffected and is the gun thing for those who fish in remote areas for just this reason. So much for technology.....

Website back up now. Worth remembering that it is rare to have problems with the website or apps themselves - usually most problems reported to us are due to poor phone reception and the like. Using the extreme version of the app (which has an integrated database and is thus self contained) prevents these from occurring in the first place. Enjoy !

I just need some fish worth killing now haha