Thread: Chestnut Tiger Feather

Chestnut Tiger Feather

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all over eating too much and having a few too many ales.

I finished this a couple of days ago. It is a Matrix 2 piece 4-10lb spinning rod done with AMTAC Tidal Wave guides. If you haven't tried them you don't know what you're missing out on. Great guides from Mark Newcombe. The handle was built for me by a good mate, Ray Balmforth from Wollongong from birch bark and burl cork. I did a tiger wrap with a base of black/white and metallic terra cotta. The top wrap is Chestnut with 2 size A discards. I did a small feather inlay as a focal point on top of the tiger. The movement in this tiger wrap is just sensational. It is a real shape changer depending on the angle you view it from.

Come on you blokes - enough Christmas cheer - start posting some works.

Regards
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Chestnut Tiger Feather

Ridiculously good! I just got some of those guides myself to have a try so looking forward to it.

Im still scratching my head trying to work out how you lay that grizzly hackle in Mark and make it look natural,ive got a few hackles for my fly tieing ill have to do a experiment , excellent looking rod as we always see from your rod lathe.

Building the same rod and guide at the moment. Mine won't be turning out as good as yours. Nice work Mark!
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Great work all round.
    Love the chestnut colour, gives it a classic look. The tiger looks great and that grip is really nice. Great work Mark and Ray.

Awesome Tiger....and build.......What brand is the reel seat..?

Mark..... Would those guides handle 20lb braid ....thinking about using them on my next snapper rod....Never really been able to find out how heavier line you can run on them

Willo

They seem pretty reasonably built. I will be running 10 & 15lb braid through mine and think they could handle more. Only real issue will be the leader size given they are very small guides once you get past the transition guide. I have finished mine and will give it a run over the next week (hopefully).

Steve
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Willo I agree with Steve. The only issue would be the size of the rings (they would be about a 5 or 6mm). I don't think there would be any issues with the line weight and the Tidal Waves are built for salt water so they are pretty tough. Also, I bought the seat through Mark Newcombe. He gets these in a few different colours and they are super comfortable to fish with. I don't have his web site handy but if you look up Marks Custom Rods there will be contact details available. Great bloke to deal through.

marks web site is rodcomponentsaustralia.com.au
    as for 20lb braid they seem to work ok, better than lighter lines i think [ but that dont mean much really].
    Mark that is another piece of outstsanding workmanship, everthing comes together really well

Ian