Thread: Red tiger Urushi

Red tiger Urushi

Been working on this for a little while and finally finished. Two different Urushi techniques used. The one in the split grip area is done without pigments. The base is metallic red, metallic silver and black, 3 coats of finish over pieces of abalone and sanded smooth then the top layer of black thread with 2 size A discards. The fore grip Urushi is done with pigments and abalone shell then with an open wrap of black with two size A discard threads. Different - but each looks good in their own way. The tiger in the split really shimmers and looks holographic. It is almost impossible to photograph to show the real effect.

Best regards to all
    Outback
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Red tiger Urushi

Great looking stick Mark.
    Have a great Christmas!

Cheers
    Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Absolutely primo work Mark, looks fantastic. Leigh

Awsome work ..you really have those Urushj down pat and have put your own touch to them ......dose my head in knowing the amount of work that must of gone into that

Absolutely awesome job how many hours would that take? If you don't mind saying.

Thanks everyone.
    This one too quite a bit of time. I don't know exactly how long. I had to do each of the Urushi's separate because they are different techniques. The one in the split grip took some time because I had to sand it back without touching the bottom layer of thread. Then I had to build up the finish around the shell and sand it level. This took maybe 3-4 coats - wait a few days then do the top tiger wrap and then a couple more coats of finish. I don't think I have seen a tiger wrapped Urushi without using pigments before. This may be a first!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas to you to mate and keep these works of art coming!