Thread: Nets.

Nets.

QLD: Don't net a fine: use the right fishing gear

While holidays and weekends are a great time to cast a net for some bait and prawns, recreational fishers are reminded to check their nets to ensure they comply with the rules.
    Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) senior compliance officer Michael Mikitis said there were some simple rules around what nets could and couldn't be used when fishing in tidal waters.
    "There are two types of nets recreational fishers can use in Queensland tidal waters - seine and cast nets," he said.
    "A recreational seine net (or bait net) must:
      • be no longer than 16 m in length
      • have a mesh size no greater than 28 mm
      • be no more than 3 m in drop
      • not have a pocket
      • not be fixed when used.
    "A recreational cast net must not be more than 3.7 m in length and have a mesh size no greater than 28 mm.
    "Anything outside of these nets is considered commercial fishing apparatus and recreational fishers cannot use or possess them."
    Mr Mikitis said the use of incorrect fishing apparatus could incur big fines.
    "An on-the-spot fine of $1000 for unlawfully using or possessing commercial fishing apparatus applies," he said.
    "The maximum penalty for this offence is $30,000.
    "All recreational fishers that use nets should be aware of the rules.
    "These rules limit the type and amount of fish that can be caught, which is important in helping to protect fisheries resources."
    View the current fishing rules here.

Re: Nets.

i tried to tell 6 or 7 guys who had their net staked across the creek i was trying to go up last weekend that you arnt allowed to do it and i had them cast sinkers at me lol ......come back 30 mins later to get a pic of the rego number and net and they had a tarp over the boat and had the net in ...they put it out on high tide and were waiting for low to collect...

So those using a top-pocket net for prawning are breaking the law?? Or is that only for seine nets? Didn't know that.

Thanks.
    Yeah Lee...trying to give a better life to some people. Some come in here and try and make out they are like us but they never will be..you are one of those. GEH

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    So those using a top-pocket net for prawning are breaking the law?? Or is that only for seine nets? Didn't know that.

Thanks.
    that is only for seine nets.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

if your interested in a legal top pocket prawn net, drop me a PM