Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeat fishing offender cops $10,000 fine and loses boat

Repeat fishing offender cops $10,000 fine and loses boat

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

14 October 2013
    Repeat fishing offender cops $10,000 fine and loses boat

A recreational fisher has been convicted and fined $10,000 and had his boat seized and forfeited to the State for illegal crabbing offences.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer Chris Watts said the fine should serve as a warning to fishers to abide by the rules.

“QBFP followed and intercepted a vehicle towing a boat after it departed a boat ramp at Tingalpa Creek late at night,” Mr Watts said.

“A search of the vehicle found 15 undersized mud crabs, 10 female mud crabs, 3 undersized male blue swimmer crabs, 7 female blue swimmer crabs and 10 undersized yellow fin bream.

“Inspection of the boat found a further 18 undersized male mud crabs and 9 female mud crabs concealed in the canopy of the vessel.”

Mr Watts said the defendant was known to QBFP with previous offences recorded.

“In 2007, the defendant was convicted and fined $3250, and his boat seized and forfeited to the State, for possessing undersized fish and crabs and female mud crabs,” he said.

“He also had a number of previous fisheries offences prior to 2007.

“The Magistrate noted the defendant’s blatant disregard for Queensland’s Fisheries Regulations and previous convictions when handing down the verdict.”

Report suspected illegal fishing activities in Queensland to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information on fishing rules and regulations in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Redlands crab prosecution.jpgRedlands crab prosecution_jenny.jpg

Re: Repeat fishing offender cops $10,000 fine and loses boat

Good work.....

Should cancel boat licence as well

Well that's a start, good work Fisheries. One down, heaps to go.

Great work - please crucify a few sure farmers for us while you're at it.

*share farmers

Great work from fisheries, the Darra shop sting now this one, keep them coming.
    Good things come to those who bait

well done QBFP

Question for Fisheries, why don't you also release the name of the offender? After all he was found guilty. Same goes for that Darra restaurant.

Name and shame I say!

this bloke a slow learner or what? already had a boat forfeited but still carries on regardless. obviously it is sufficiently lucrative to break the law that losing his boat is of little consequence. so whats the bet he's back on the water already in a cheap and easy to replace p.o.s. boat? how else is he going to pay off his 10k fine?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

He'll probably cry poor and try and have the $10 000 fine transferred to the SPER system and offer to repay it @ $1 per week. As for who it was, if the magistrate didn't put a suppression order on the offender's name, then I guess it's out there in the public domain.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Should cancel boat licence as well
    They give a fine, should've been his boat, they take his boat, should be his licence, they take his licence, what next? Reckon his drivers licence should be suspended to?
    Lets just give Fisheries a pat on the back for doing what they can with little resources rather than crucify them for what we think they should've done.

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    They give a fine, should've been his boat, they take his boat, should be his licence, they take his licence, what next? Reckon his drivers licence should be suspended to?
    Lets just give Fisheries a pat on the back for doing what they can with little resources rather than crucify them for what we think they should've done.
    this is true. good work fq. BUT we need to work to change the system. enforcement is one thing but penalties severely need reviewing. this piece of crap should be banned from going near the water again as being fined and losing his boat was obviously not enough of a deterrent the first time and I would say on his history the same penalty again (albeit with an increased fine) will not stop him re-offending. instead it is likely he will become a little smarter and leave his ill gotten gains somewhere where he can collect them later. one has to wonder how many illegal catches he took (and probably sold) between 2007 and now - and how many before he was caught in 2007. I would say probably a fair bit more than his fines have totalled and his boats cost him. lifetime driving bans are available to magistrates. maybe it is time to lobby for lifetime boating bans to be introduced too?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    For a repeat offender, yes I think they should take his boat license. If it was a repeat offender in a motor vehicle then they would do just that. As other posts above, it's likely he'll be back on the water with another boat.

I hardly think I was crucifying them, more of a wish-list.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    He'll probably cry poor and try and have the $10 000 fine transferred to the SPER system and offer to repay it @ $1 per week. As for who it was, if the magistrate didn't put a suppression order on the offender's name, then I guess it's out there in the public domain.

TOL
    Yeh I had a good look but I can't seem to find it, look through all recent Magistrate and District Court verdicts. Same with the name of that Darra restaurant.