Thread: Which kayak to buy

Which kayak to buy

I am considering buying a Kayak, just to fish in close around Redcliffe, woody pt, scarb area.
    I wont be going much wider, so what would suit me best?

I dont want anything to small, but i would put a sounder on it. What are the outrigger things like? I saw them on the BCF site.

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Which kayak to buy

Seems to be quite a few Viking Profish kayaks around lately, decent yaks well suited to redcliffe.
    If you intend on becoming a regular at brays reef or off noosa i would recommend a Stealth glass boat for the surf abilities and the underground storage of all your rods.
    Perception swings are great yaks for reddy too.

Don't be afraid to buy 2nd hand, a lot are already kitted out for you second hand and you get all that for nix.
    Jack.

Hi Greg,

Have a scroll back through past posts in this section (Kayaks) for similar posts. Lots of advice in these posts about what kayak is best etc.

Key point I'd make is get a kayak that has good capacity. Use my situation as the example. I'm 110kgs and I have approx. 15kgs of extra weight with gear (rods, reels, sounder and battery etc.) which equals 125kgs. My kayak's capacity is 181kgs. So my margin is approx. 56kgs (31% margin). You never want this margin to be too small (less than 25%) otherwise the kayak will sit low in the water and you will need to expend considerable energy to propell the kayak through the water, which means getting tired quickly.

Cheers,
    Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

there is a Viking profish on gumtree atm $1000 with a sounder at burpengary I believe, I was considering it but it was to big for my needs I only wanted a yak for up fresh water cks catchin bass etc and I wanted to be able to just throw mine in the back of the ute. I bought a Viking nemo second hand as mine is going to get knocked around abit. yet to use it. I liked the features of the Vikings for the $$$ especially a second hand one

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Seems to be quite a few Viking Profish kayaks around lately, decent yaks well suited to redcliffe.
    If you intend on becoming a regular at brays reef or off noosa i would recommend a Stealth glass boat for the surf abilities and the underground storage of all your rods.
    Perception swings are great yaks for reddy too.

Don't be afraid to buy 2nd hand, a lot are already kitted out for you second hand and you get all that for nix.
    Hi Jack,
    Also keen to get a stealth, what would you recommend , I am 107 kg at best and love my gear. For offshore and bay fishing.