Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns area - saltwater.

Re: Cairns area - saltwater.

I wish I was going! I'm off with work for a few days starting early Tuesday, so browny points at home tomorrow, hopefully it's down later in the week! Happy hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Anyone heading out tomorrow? I am hoping it drops out a little down to the forecast of 10 knots tomorrow. Fingers crossed the trout should be about with the spawning etc. I'll post up a bit of a report if we can catch a couple.

Pazz

I'm back Wednesday night Nick so might see you out

Headed out there today in good conditions. The forecast was spot on so it was a little sloppy on the way out but still cruised at 25 knots all the way.

Chased trout first up this morning and caught 10 in pretty quick time then we paid a fair bit of shark tax as we couldn't get any in the boat after that without the man in the grey suit giving us a touch up again. The barstards have given us a touch up in recent times, with a couple of big bronzies in the 6-8 foot mark. But they seemed to be on the chew though and pretty keen on Pillies only.

The trout slowed up around 9.30-10 but we kept hunting around for a bit of new ground but couldn't get a bite. So we headed out in the deep water chasing reds. We caught 7 nice big mouth around the 10lb mark and a couple more rosie jobfish, but they were very difficult to catch. They were playing around with the bait and you'd strike them and start to wind only for them to let go so missed a fair few good fish. But after the last trip and this trip we had heaps of fish so we headed off and left them biting.

I've done 3 trips in 3 weeks so I think that will do me for a while. Need to get back to work and make some money.

Anybody else get out there today and get amongst any fish?

Pazz

Pazz, Yeah I have fished three trips in three weeks. The first two trips were wide and were two of the best. Bagged out on Nannies and Spangled in 3-4 hours both times. They were only upto 3 kilo, it was just too good to get away from my favourite rock and onto the paddock where the larger ones graze. It was rare to wait longer than a minute for a hook up. There was the usual bi catch aswell as the sharks which grabbed every fish in the end. With bag limits reached we fished for trout as the sun came up but couldn't get past the large mouth. So we gave that a miss as they didn't fair well on the journey up. With fish ridiculously easy to catch I decided to fish for finger mark yesterday, and regreted it. I caught one just on size and probably dropped another and that was it. Should have fished wide again. Best run I've had in 9 months. I'm worried now the wind will stay down, as I'll have to head out wide again!!!

Was going to head out today but a bearing in my car is on the way out, spewing. Daintree boy landed an 84.5cm large mouth nanny a couple nights ago, nice fish! Was hoping to have a crack at beating that but won't be out for well over a week now.

I have done 2 trips very recently. Early in the week I did a solo trip at night, the first 6 drops resulted in 6 Nannygai around 3-4kg so I decided to try elsewhere for variety. Caught my bag limit soon after with the biggest Nanny going 86cm.

Yesterday I headed out with my brother in law and started by throwing lures in the shallows. We caught a few smaller fish, one nice trout and one big bust off so headed a little deeper to fish with bait. We had a dozen trout and one Mack (caught on a trout rig and single hook) by early arvo so decided we had enough fish and headed in.

Two good trips for me and it sounds like everyone has been doing well.

Mackerel mackerel mackerel

Mackerel mackerel mackerel

Some quality there mate. Was there a few in numbers?

Pazz

No unfortunately mate, we got a couple of them the same size then they went off the chew, tried quite a few spots that held fish but they didn't play the game mate. Tried lives, plastics, squid, pillies and cut fish flesh and they just weren't keen.

Realised it was barra closure midnight Thursday, so shot out late with a few plastics and hit a hot bite. Raised 7 but managed to land these 4. Was very happy to end the season on such a note
    Cheers
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Very nice catch there Odes. A mate got a salty two weeks ago that went 128cm.

Caught them on the beginning of the runout tide. notice the black tails , of which someone said they would be from the fresh water, but they are delicious eating so certainly saltwater barra.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Looking to put together a Cairns meet and greet before xmas. Check the Meet and Greet forum. Would be great to get out with some likeminded fishers in Cairns

Next weekend could be a goer 16/17.11. Anyone up for a meet and greet