Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater on the Gold Coast

Freshwater on the Gold Coast

Hey guys I am looking for catching freshwater fish in the wild (not in dams) on the Gold Coast. Where does the hinze dam spill over ( what is the street of the closest boat ramp) is it into the Nerang. What other fresh or brackish areas hold wild bass. Is there anywhere to chase wild Saratoga on the Goldy. I know native freshwater fish prefer summer but are they on the chew in winter. As much help and locations the better, I do tag fish and release so I won't be taking home all your pets. Thanks a heap,
    Stone.

Re: Freshwater on the Gold Coast

Land based or boat based?

Boat based mainly mate. 3.5 metre tinny with 15 merc on the back and a Minn Kota up the front. Mainly throw lures around - soft, diving or surface whatever.

Robina lakes has pleny of bass, if you can find a ramp

Does anyone know of any boat ramps there at all?

A mate of mine used to clean up in there, but he launched his boat from his backyard...

Do you know the name of the lake at all bud?

Robina lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Robina lakes...
    And they are not wild fish in there and only place you will get toga is hinze dam.
    Cheers
    Ray

Seeing as is has been getting quite cold as of late I would say most fish would be schooling up in deepish water for warmth. Personaly I dont bother fishing for bass when its this cold each to there own but. Ive found from novermber last year id get 20 fish in a couple hours fishing with hard bodies a month ago i struggled to get 1 so that was it for me hang up the bass lure till next season. Clear island waters/robina lakes is where I fish for bass and as said above they are not wild fish they were left over fingerlings from stocking hinze dam years and years back.

Bron

Clear Island Waters is currently stocked by the ABA. They are not "left over" fish. It is doubtful if there are any "wild" fish left in the Coomera, Nerang or Tweed Rivers. I've fished for them for years and I can't recall any really "wild" fish. I don't know if the "wild" ones roar louder or what. There is probably no need to tag any of them either and I think the experts are pretty sure of the growth rates and distribution of them now. Your best bet for access is the Tweed River above Murwillumbah. You can't miss the river. Please give respect to Col Wiley as you pass Col Wiley Park as you cross the Tweed River on the Uki road. Without Col, you probably wouldn't be fishing for Bass in that area.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I see plenty caught off the banks of Clear Island Waters. Bit difficult to get a boat in there though. No ramps.

Thanks Dale,

all as what he said !

Closed season applies to Clear Island waters also !

Regards Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Seeing as is has been getting quite cold as of late I would say most fish would be schooling up in deepish water for warmth. Personaly I dont bother fishing for bass when its this cold each to there own but. Ive found from novermber last year id get 20 fish in a couple hours fishing with hard bodies a month ago i struggled to get 1 so that was it for me hang up the bass lure till next season. Clear island waters/robina lakes is where I fish for bass and as said above they are not wild fish they were left over fingerlings from stocking hinze dam years and years back.

Bron

Infofish still appreciate tag data on all ANSA eligible species. I tag bass in the Hinze dam. Growth data is appreciated so tagging the little ones (20cm) is still helpful. It would be interesting to see if any of my tagged fish get recaptured over the dam wall and to see where they end up. Check out http://info-fish.net/suntag/ for the latest info on fish info tagging in QLD

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNeedham View Post
    Infofish still appreciate tag data on all ANSA eligible species. I tag bass in the Hinze dam. Growth data is appreciated so tagging the little ones (20cm) is still helpful. It would be interesting to see if any of my tagged fish get recaptured over the dam wall and to see where they end up. Check out http://info-fish.net/suntag/ for the latest info on fish info tagging in QLD
    I really question the value of some of the tagging that is occurring.
    Surely there is already enough data collected on the growth rates and migration patterns of most of our common species.
    I do not know too much about tagged saltwater fish but most of the freshwater fish such as bass and yellas with out fail appear to have sores in the tag sites even after 6 years since they were tagged. Wonder what the mortality rate of tagged fish due to infection of the tag site is?
    I have no problems with a tagging programme being conducted for a scientific research programme for a particular species or waterway but tagging for the sake of tagging is surely redundant when you consider the number of tagged fish in existance that will provide data for years to come.
    Cheers
    Ray