Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Just to give brief feedback for now on a couple of points about LNP fishing policy released during the 2012 election as promised.
    1. Voluntary Net licence buyback. Many rec fishers hold the view that if you can take out licenses (and much preferably active effort) you can reduce the catch and rec species bycatch. This is what the govt is seeking to do in a way that does not unjustly impact on commercial fishers, but gives some the chance to retire or sell up if they wish.
    2. Hervey Bay. I don't intend to say much about a region that I have little to do with these days. I am the member for Cleveland and these days am focussed more on Moreton Bay. I realize the Bligh govt created an anomaly with the cross-thatched area, and possibly for political purposes. I would think net fishers could offer licences up in this area, but I am not familiar with any stats. If buybacks can be applied to this area it could potentially help resolve the issue over time. This may not satisfy everyone, but is a step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Mark as part of the Can Do team with such a vast majority will sort it , all for rec fisho's they are.

It's all in the policy they released prior to the election, actually the day Bligh called the election it was rolled out.

The above was written and authorised and typed by a political sceptic for the non registered sceptical of pollies promises party.
    Steeler, I am not sure I understand your continued objection. I answered your previous question - what didn't you see/understand about it. As i have explained we released fishing policy and we are now fulfilling it. We are only 1 year and 3 months into our 1st term. We have made a start and have 1 year 9 months to go to complete our commitments.
    Mark

^ Yes i know you answered the question and acknowledged such with a " Thank You " . Check the dates of both my original question and your answer. The post you have quoted above was before you responded.

Cheers

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for taking the effort to address this forum. In response to the point you made below
    could you give us the following info
    How many licences have been bought back?
    What is the total reduction in catch?
    How much of the 9 million is left?
    "1. Voluntary Net licence buyback. Many rec fishers hold the view that if you can take out licenses (and much preferably active effort) you can reduce the catch and rec species bycatch. This is what the govt is seeking to do in a way that does not unjustly impact on commercial fishers, but gives some the chance to retire or sell up if they wish."

Thanks in advance for the response

Feedback from Working Group members will be compiled during May and presented for final approval to the Tourism Minister and Working Group in late May. The final report and recommendations will then be forwarded to the Premier, Tourism Minister, Fisheries Minister and other relevant Ministers for their consideration and decisions.
    YOUR RESPONSE
    Interested persons can contact their state MP and/or the Assistant Tourism Minister Gavin King gavin.king@ministerial.qld.gov.au to share their views and ideas about recreational fishing and how it can grow tourism in Queensland. Or if I can assist with enquiries (mainly about Moreton Bay), contact me at cleveland@parliament.qld.gov.au

Regards,
    Mark[/QUOTE]
    How did it go. Or was it just another talkfest so we all get a warm fuzzy feeling of involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER1 View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for taking the effort to address this forum. In response to the point you made below
    could you give us the following info
    How many licences have been bought back?
    What is the total reduction in catch?
    How much of the 9 million is left?
    "1. Voluntary Net licence buyback. Many rec fishers hold the view that if you can take out licenses (and much preferably active effort) you can reduce the catch and rec species bycatch. This is what the govt is seeking to do in a way that does not unjustly impact on commercial fishers, but gives some the chance to retire or sell up if they wish."

Thanks in advance for the response
    Hi Shooter 1. The last update I am aware of is at the following link:
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...es-bought-back. Other info is available at the same website.
    Wrt the rec fishing tourism consultation, I haven't seen any report yet but something must be due soon.
    Mark

Thanks Mark for your continuing interest in recreational fishing. I am encouraged to see a politician engaging with the public around this matter as it gives me some hope.

I'm not sure if you've seen Lindsay Dines (Slider) post on this news section about the demise of Tailor stocks but please read it and consider where things are heading.

Lindsay spends hundreds of hours and uses his own money to collect data to show what we all know to be true anyway and that is that fish species such as Tailor are on a massive decline and are being badly managed and seriously overfished especially by the pro netters who hammer this and other species relentlessly (or course within the law). Recently the minister for fisheries Mr McVeigh made a statement denying such stats.

It find it really disappointing that your government seems to be in denial and is not looking to the future and/or tourism and to think I helped them get to power believing that they would do something to help things??!!

Recreational fishing havens can save fish, increase fish stocks and bring thousands of much needed dollars into the economy via tourism and fishing tackle etc.

Maybe your government just does not want to spend the money to buy out the pro's but have you and your government considered floating a fishing license as per NSW.

Of course recreational fishermen would want rock solid guarantees that the money would go straight towards buy backs but what are your thoughts?

malby made good sense , until the fishing licence part.

I am dead set against the licence and for very good reasons and one which malby touched on...... " guarantee."

Unfortunately malby, the Govt ( past and present ) seem to have other priorities. I do not believe the top people in the relative departments understand the importance of recreational fishing in Queensland and to it's economic growth.

Various models from many other countries around the world show that by reducing unsustainable or high-impact commercial activity, the fishery can recover and this in turn provides impetus to promote recreational fishing and than in turn, sustains economic growth that would be unachieveble with commercial activity.

The foresight needed by any Govt is not hiding behind closed doors, the facts, studies, anecdotal evidence and more are at arms reach, they just need to be shown the way.

There is a market and requirement for commercially harvested fish, whether this is by wild caught, aquaculture or farming, but surely even Blind Freddy can see the harm this beach netting is doing to the fishery, habitat, environment and economic circumstance of our once great coast.

Any Govt can change or alter the law with the stroke of a pen and enthusiasm, they just need to be reminded who put them into power and why.

It's not who you are, but what you do........ that defines you !

Firstly, thanks Mark for the exchange of information. I too would like to know how many commercial licenses have been bought out? There is talk of no money to establish Recreation only Fisheries; what does it cost? Change the legislation, all those involved in doing that are already getting paid. Enforcement is another issue but again most areas already have employed enforcers.

The NT is a great example of the recovery of a fishery after stopping the nets.

To all: Remember if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

http://www.yourseqwater.com.au/proje...reation-review

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Cool Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Hi Shooter 1. The last update I am aware of is at the following link:
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...es-bought-back. Other info is available at the same website.
    Wrt the rec fishing tourism consultation, I haven't seen any report yet but something must be due soon.
    Mark
    DL , don't hold your breath until your blue in the face, the boomerang will comeback

Mark MP is trustable imo , just looking VERY,VERY foolishly embarrassed imo atm.

I honestly am not interested in promoting fishing competitions, making them bigger.
    There is no real need to market good fishing destinations any more than is already done.

People interested in fishing do their own research, like on here or other web searches, they talk among themselves as to where to go; general tourist information is already out there. We know where the fishing has been buggered up my netting or where recreational fishing has been banned by imbeciles .

It is just a matter of lifting recreational bans to allow recreational fishing and stopping the commercial pillaging of the stock. Ban nets within 2k of the shore. The Fisheries will recover at no cost in time and word will soon spread to those interested in fishing. Then there becomes a steady turn over of money generated by recreational fishing, camping, holidays etc.

Promoting large competitions is in my view counter productive and gives rise to a short boost in local trade but deters a lot of people who might otherwise have attended the area for a longer stay and it is detrimental to the fishery having an area flogged for a weekend or week.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Thanks darylive,

Firstly, there is money available to establish Rec fishing only Havens, but one has to submit the proposal to the right people. The funding for this is available under the $50 mill Rec infrastructre program.

I too am not a fan of fishing comps for different reasons than you, but.

On the surface, you make sense of the high impact a comp has on a fishery, but in reality, does it really have a higher impact than rec practices from years gone by ? I'll explain.

Say we have a comp with 500 people entering and we get say 100 boats wetting line within the boundaries, which by all accounts are pretty far and wide. This comp is run over a 3 or 4 day period.

We still have to abide by bag and possession limits. Are the numbers of fish taken / impacted any more for this comp , than say a 4 week period over the school holiday period when we could get 3 or 4 times the number of boats fishing the similar ground ? I would also hazzard a guess, that a comp may not have as much impact as a 1 week holiday period did, some 20 -30 years ago when there were no bag limits and open slather was the norm.

As I said, I do not favour comps, but for different reasons, but also let's not forget, that many comps now have " live " weigh-ins with those fish being released. We also have restrictive wins by individuals that promote chasing different species and there is some comps that have restricted numbers of fish one can catch as well as some being a C & R comp only.

Comps do inject funding into the local economy, but it also gives rise to Family participation, and this is the upside of comps... getting the kids involved.

The better a comp is run with sustainable outcomes, the better the kids will be educated and this is a big plus for the fishery that our next generation will be fishing in.

Let's no forget the " Carp-Busters " comp. That comp is going great and doing good things for the fishery, but I feel the carp may be winning that battle.

Recreational Fishing Havens will provide great outcomes for the economy and fishery, as long as those Havens are locked up tight in Legislative Concrete.

I would like to see some media releases from this Govt in relation to what they have done , are about to do and would like to do for recreational fishing in Queensland. Been pretty poor so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Just one of the Boys View Post
    Thanks darylive,

Firstly, there is money available to establish Rec fishing only Havens, but one has to submit the proposal to the right people. The funding for this is available under the $50 mill Rec infrastructre program.

Hi dairylive
    Can you advise a bit more on that fund?
    Thanks
    Macks

Think you are asking me for more info ?

Investing in our waterways for the future

8 March 2012
    A CanDo LNP Government will create a $120 million Marine Infrastructure Fund to ensure Queenslanders can fully enjoy our great marine heritage and lifestyle.
    Under the current tired 20 year Labor Government, the ability of Queenslanders to properly enjoy our marine environment, be it for fishing, boating or employment opportunities, has not been a priority.

Labor has been more focused on green spin than on taking real practical action to provide infrastructure to both protect our marine environment and biodiversity as well as providing Queenslanders the opportunity to enjoy this world class asset both now and into the future.

The LNP is committed to supporting Queenslanders’ ability to enjoy our natural heritage responsibly.

The LNP understands fishing is one of the most popular pastimes in Queensland, with an estimated 750,000 recreational fishers in this state.

In addition, we understand many more Queenslanders enjoy a range of activities on our coastal waters.

Unlike Bligh Labor, an LNP Government will consult widely and continuously with Queenslanders to ensure that their views are heard and acted on, as well as working with responsible environmental advocates.

An LNP Government will establish a $120 million Marine Infrastructure Fund to build new marine infrastructure in areas of greatest need such as boat ramps, pontoons, fishing platforms, artificial reefs or other infrastructure. Maintaining access to Queensland waterways through projects such as targeted channel deepening at Trinity Inlet and the Gold Coast Broadwater will also be funded.

Unlike Labor, which has only provided artificial reefs as inadequate compensation for ‘no-fishing’ zones and bans on recreational fishing, the LNP sees this Marine Infrastructure Fund as an investment in the future of our marine environment and recreational fishing opportunities.

Boat ramps and fishing platforms improve access for recreational fishing and boating, while appropriate channel deepening can be essential maintenance for our marine environment.

An LNP Government will deliver better infrastructure to allow Queenslanders to enjoy our coastal waterways.

It’s time for a change. With your help the LNP will get Queensland Back on Track.

LNP Policy Commitments:

• $120 million Marine Infrastructure Fund over four years
    • $50 million for small marine infrastructure such as boat ramps, artificial reefs and pontoons
    • $30 millon to improve access to Gold Coast Waterways
    • $40 millon to improve access to Cairns’ Trinity Inlet

What else would you like to know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Just one of the Boys View Post
    Think you are asking me for more info ?

Thanks Just one.
    Yep sorry Dairylive for the confusion.

Can you tell me over what period of time that $50million is committed and where the criteria can be accessed?

Thanks again Macks.