Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

There is an old saying:

"A change of government is the joy of fools...."

I stopped reading as soon as I got to 'Hero' spots....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Re: Tourism Minister announces Rec Fishing Consultation

I hope this isn't another PR exercise like your petition Mark.

Where has the Tourism Minister announced this "Rec Fishing Consultation"?
    I can't find it on the Tourism Department's web site, or on the Minister Jann Stuckey's own web site, and it doesn't even show up at all in her media file.

All the info I have from Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey on the subject of rec fishing is a statement she gave to the Freshwater Fish Stocking Assoc of Qld. When they tried to open up dialog with the Minister about the tourism benefits a well stocked fishery can bring she suggested that rec fishing is in the realm of DPI and isn't associated with her portfolio of tourism.
    From the FFSAQ's newsletter

"The Minister responded to FFSAQ by indicating that recreational fishing did not reside in her portfolio responsibility."
    ~~~><))))*>

Oh dear it appears our favourite BACK BENCHER is signing checks we can't cash again , your a very naughty boy Mark M.P come back when you can really make some sort of difference . But thanks for trying to get us interested in what ever your trying to get us involved in but really you do think we are stupid .... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Macks.
    You may be aware that the govt is doing something about the balance of commercial net fishing and recreational fishing through our $9 million net licence buyback scheme. Find more info at http://www.business.qld.gov.au/indus...ishing-buyback.
    Regards
    Mark

Originally Posted by milo__
    Hi all,

Got this email back from the Councillor......

Good afternoon Andrew,

Thank you for your email and I understand your frustration. The Reserve is loved by a variety of users and when the weather is good everyone wants space. Primarily though the eastern side is parking for the users of the boat ramps. The improvements made a couple of years ago increased parking for day trippers or those users without a trailer but with limited access to water in the City parking space will always be in high demand.
    I have been working with officers to try and find a solution to alleviate the concern and at present we are organising a meeting of representatives of the various user groups. If you would like I can add your name to this list to attend.
    In the coming year work will commence on the new William Street boat ramp car park and I am hopeful this may alleviate some of the pressure on Wellington Point Reserve.
    I totally understand your frustration and am looking forward to future discussions,

Warm Regards,

CrWendy Boglary
    Division 1 Councillor
    Redland City Council
    Ph: 3829 8619
    wendy.boglary@redland.qld.gov.au
    Due to the quantity of emails received daily occasionally one gets missed. If you do not receive a response within 48 hours, please follow up as your views and concerns are important to me.
    I don't know the influence of Mark over the council and boat ramps but would expect that there is some federal funding.
    Mark has done some good things and I hope he will do something here

There is a council move to increase the shared bays to 42 and these to be available to the public after 12 noon. Ramp up have reported that this will be signed off by council on the 15th May.
    Reality is
    Wellington point boat ramp is unprotected from the wind and as such it is a nightmare if you have to hold your boat at the ramp for any period of time whilst waiting for its trailer or to get the vehicle.
    There are no facilities or pontoons where the boats can be moored and you as a boat owner who pays fees and rates are left to sustain damage and safety risks to your property so that picnicers can park closer and don't have to walk any distance. The people out for a picnic have many options and sites that they can use we boat people have very few. To redirect the boat traffic to an already congested Cleveland boat ramp is ridiculous. Why not direct the picnic people to one of the less utilised parks.
    It must be realised that the time between launching and moving out of the ramp zone and between landing and getting the boat out the water is the high risk period for safety and damage.
    Reckon the council only see this as a perception around lazy boat owners and not around the practical risks and problems about getting the boats in and out of the water without damage or danger. There also seems to be a perception that we only go out in the morning without the realisation of the number of people who are night fishing or driven by tides.

Mark Robinson is one of the politicians that I believe is trying to get the right things done. I saw him and Andrew Laming at the snapper limit meeting fighting our cause. I see he has sent a letter of support in getting our parking back at wello point ramp and he has had a number of posts both here and with Nugget going in the right direction.
    The opening of Leslie Harrison after 40 years is I believe a major breakthrough for many of us and has been along battle. Lets try to support each other and find a number of good initiatives rather than getting into political squirmishes with no value.

Ok, i'll chip in with a little bit

1)Recreational fishing events with my view point coming from Hervey Bay.

a.What are the rec fishing events & competitions in respective areas?
    There quite simply aren't alot.
    b.What is the potential for these events to grow into the future?
    There is no potential to grow these events unless you take the damn trawlers out of the areas that are constantly raped... this includes no go zones!
    c.How do we grow these events into the future?
    As above..... stop the raping of the area.

It's really sad to see a place like Hervey Bay which could have such a huge potential in relation to tourism if you were able to go out and catch a fish, yes, there are fish around, and if you know where you're going like anywhere else and persist.... you'll do well, however, imagine if these damn trawlers weren't around?
    Enough has been said on the topic in Hervey Bay, with some great people pushing it but is sounds like as usual deaf ears.

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandv8 View Post
    Ok, i'll chip in with a little bit

1)Recreational fishing events with my view point coming from Hervey Bay.

a.What are the rec fishing events & competitions in respective areas?
    There quite simply aren't alot.
    b.What is the potential for these events to grow into the future?
    There is no potential to grow these events unless you take the damn trawlers out of the areas that are constantly raped... this includes no go zones!
    c.How do we grow these events into the future?
    As above..... stop the raping of the area.

It's really sad to see a place like Hervey Bay which could have such a huge potential in relation to tourism if you were able to go out and catch a fish, yes, there are fish around, and if you know where you're going like anywhere else and persist.... you'll do well, however, imagine if these damn trawlers weren't around?
    Enough has been said on the topic in Hervey Bay, with some great people pushing it but is sounds like as usual deaf ears.

Rant over
    Agree with everything except that the inshore netting is doing more harm than the trawlers to the inshore fish stocks. The trawling probably does more damage to the inter-reefal lagoons and a lot of the juvenile reef species.

Would you believe that they even allow unrestricted netting in the yellow zones up there in Hervey Bay? Unbelievable! The Great Sandy Straits - Iconic under many declarations. Declared a yellow zone (Conservation Park zone) in the Marine Park. Normal netting is stopped in all other yellow zones. Not in that marine park!!!

Ya gotta ask who paid who for what in that marine park! Now the LNP does not want to know about it even though it was a corrupt Labor decision. Who is still paying who?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Macks.
    You may be aware that the govt is doing something about the balance of commercial net fishing and recreational fishing through our $9 million net licence buyback scheme. Find more info at http://www.business.qld.gov.au/indus...ishing-buyback.
    Regards
    Mark
    Mark, I am WELL AWARE that the govt is giving the commercial fishers $9million. There is NOTHING in the current plan that will help rec fishing. You must know that or you are living in La La land.

• Buying latent commercial licenses does nothing to help the parlous state of rec fishers.

• There is no condition that active commercial fishers who get bought out cannot re-enter the fishery by buying another licence. This has been exposed as a con with every other buyback and the govt and Fisheries Managers continue to repeat the farce.

• There is no money to create rec fishing only areas nor any intention of your government to do so.

• There is no money nor intent to cap commercial take of inshore fish species.

• There is no intent to zone commercial fishers to give a sense of ownership and stewardship.

• There is no intent to reallocate some iconic fish stocks/species to rec fishing from the subsistence poor value net fishery.

• There is no way there will be half the N1 and N2 licences bought back with the $9million as promised. Round 1 and 2 have proven this.

• Please give specific on-ground examples of how, where, which, rec fishers will benefit.

Mark, I appreciate the fact that you make the effort to come on here and try to communicate.
    Please do communicate. Please do not treat us like idiots. Do not preach LNP propaganda that has been shown to be fallacious, as this $9million has been proven to be.

I'd like to see.

More "recreational only" marine areas. And a proper marine restocking program so that my kids, and those fishing in the not to distant future have the ability and real chance of catching a fish or two for the table.
    Last edited by aus2045; 14-05-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Missed word out

Mark as part of the Can Do team with such a vast majority will sort it , all for rec fisho's they are.

It's all in the policy they released prior to the election, actually the day Bligh called the election it was rolled out.

The above was written and authorised and typed by a political sceptic for the non registered sceptical of pollies promises party.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Macks forever View Post
    Agree with everything except that the inshore netting is doing more harm than the trawlers to the inshore fish stocks. The trawling probably does more damage to the inter-reefal lagoons and a lot of the juvenile reef species.

Would you believe that they even allow unrestricted netting in the yellow zones up there in Hervey Bay? Unbelievable! The Great Sandy Straits - Iconic under many declarations. Declared a yellow zone (Conservation Park zone) in the Marine Park. Normal netting is stopped in all other yellow zones. Not in that marine park!!!

Ya gotta ask who paid who for what in that marine park! Now the LNP does not want to know about it even though it was a corrupt Labor decision. Who is still paying who?
    Thanks mate, you clarified alot of what i should have written!

So Mr. Mark Robinson MP, could you comment on the above?

Why would anyone allow netting in a marine park?

Thanks,

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by pachedu View Post
    The opening of Leslie Harrison after 40 years is I believe a major breakthrough for many of us and has been along battle. Lets try to support each other and find a number of good initiatives rather than getting into political squirmishes with no value.
    Best not to get too far ahead of ourselves just yet as it's not a done deal, when the back-slapping over Leslie Harrison being opened up to fishing settled down, these comments from LNP Water Supply Minister Mark McArdle appeared in the April 8th edition of the Bayside Bulletin.

"I will not be directing Seqwater on recreational use, and saying we've 'promised' to open Leslie Harrison for water sports and fishing is mistaken.
    "I acknowledge that water sports and fishing could boost local recreational and tourism in the area, but it is premature to speculate what the final outcome will be at Leslie Harrison."

Thanks for this info Mike.
    I was under the impression that it was agreed for opening later this year but only for non combustion driven boats.
    That's quite a surprise.
    Would be good if you keep the thread going if you find anything else out
    Cheers

Minister for Energy and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark McArdle

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Have your say on recreation plans for dams

South east Queenslanders are being urged to have their say as part of the most extensive review of recreation of SEQ dams and catchments ever undertaken.

Energy and Water Supply Minister Mark McArdle today released a discussion paper on the future recreation options for Wivenhoe, Somerset and Atkinson dams, the first in a series of 14 discussion papers covering the region’s 26 dams.

Mr McArdle also officially reopened one of Somerset region’s more popular sites – the Spillway Common below Wivenhoe Dam – following extensive damage during the January 2011 floods. The repair work also included improving access for paddle craft below the dam wall.

Mr McArdle said Seqwater had finalised its schedule for public consultation after receiving positive feedback from councils and key stakeholders about the timeframes.

“These recreation areas are public spaces and we want to hear from everyone involved – from the visitors to the people who live adjacent to the recreation areas,” Mr McArdle said.

“The community will be able to get involved by attending public information sessions and workshops, accessing information on Seqwater’s website and participating in online surveys.”

Mr McArdle said it was important to understand many of the recreation dams across the region were drinking water storages.

“The review will need to balance the diversity of recreation activities against ensuring no adverse impact on water quality or the immediate catchment around those dams,” he said.

The review will include the development of recreation site master plans for clusters of dams across the region detailing allowable activities, available facilities, management rules and guidelines.

The schedule for community consultation for the rest of Seqwater’s recreation areas are:

• Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam) and Lake Kurwongbah – July 2013
    • Maroon and Moogerah dams – August 2013
    • Ewen Maddock and Baroon Pocket – September 2013
    • Borumba Dam and Lake Macdonald – October 2013
    • Cooloolabin, Poona and Wappa dams – November 2013
    • Clarendon and Bill Gunn (Lake Dyer) dams – February 2014
    • Leslie Harrison Dam – March 2014
    • Lake Manchester, Enoggera and Gold Creek dams – April 2014
    • Hinze and Little Nerang dams – May 2014.

From today information for each review as well as the open online survey will be available on www.seqwater.com.au (external site). Information days and workshops for Wivenhoe, Somerset and Atkinson dams will run from 29th June to 13th July.

Register at seq and ensure us fisho's don't get locked out of anywhere and try to get them to open up some dams for rec fishing (like leslie harrision dam ).