Thread: GC Trolling Session Success

Smile GC Trolling Session Success

Mate & I went to flick SP's at the Seaway this morning on the tide change after getting some bigeyes there last week. YES - I am slowly seeing that SP's are a legitimate way to catch fish :-) (we even left all the bait at home today) ... Could not raise a bite !
    We then headed to the close bait reefs to try for anything there .... not many fish on the sounder, and only managed to lose one SP tail to a suspected tailor. Desperate for a hookup, we decided to troll on the light gear for a lap or two just 2km off the seaway.
    My mate starts joking at me about my little Sienna 2500 and the 5'6" Powercast rod with 15lb braid and I reply, "well if I hook a speedster you will have to drive & give chase"
    Not 5 seconds later and the Sienna is screaming, with line disappearing FAST ;-)
    I lock the drag and only just manage to turn the fish before the line has run out ... 10 minutes later and with a few nervous missed gaffshots from my excited mate we boat a 104cm Spanish. Pretty lucky on the light gear, with 20lb mono leader (no wire) on a Rapala Barra Magnum :-)
    Next loop and Kevin hooks into a 60cm YFT, brought to the net quickly on his 30lb gear.
    A few minutes later and my Sienna is screaming again, but this time I can feel a pulsing fight - not a Spaninsh. Another 10 minutes of rod-buckling fun and in comes a solid 83cm YFT :-)
    All went quiet for 1/2 hour so we headed back to meet our curfew of 9am ... On the way back in Kevin hooked up, but knot-failure saw him almost in tears!!
    All in all a great way to spend a few hours, and we Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Span_Tun_Mar13.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	89867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpanMack.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	89868definitely came back with a whole lot more than we bargained for !! Only had my small esky, so had tails sticking out the sides by a long way - always a nice feeling ;-)
    Needless to say the menu for tonight has changed from BBQ burgers to sashimi starters with Mackerel fillets for main

Blog Entries

Re: GC Trolling Session Success

Great report as usual Robvee, nice feed there mate

Top sesh Rob and Kev congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by carnster View Post
    Top sesh Rob and Kev congrats.
    Hey Chris ..... the mackerel drought on my boat has finally been broken - it's taken a LLLOONNGGGG time ;-)

Inspiring!!!!!!

Expecting a few reports this weekend with this weather. Noosa boat ramp was chockers at 7am when I went to fill all my fuel drums for work. Turned northerly through the morning though.

Tony

Rob,
    Forgot to say, you are one mackerel up on me this season.

Not one landed!!

Tony

Awesome Rob!!! What a morning!! You should do an advert for Shimano with a result like that on a Sienna 2500!!

I took the fam out to Moreton Is today to snorkel the wrecks and slide the dunes. Top day but I'm very hungry for some long overdue fishing so you have inspired me to troll some lures when I get back to it.

From soft plastics to hard bodies and all doing well for you!! You're the man!!

Two great weeks in a row for you on the lures!! Soon we'll be comparing plastics and swapping hardbody secrets!!

What a purple patch!!

Enjoy the fillets and thanks heaps for the report!!

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by robvee View Post
    Hey Chris ..... the mackerel drought on my boat has finally been broken - it's taken a LLLOONNGGGG time ;-)
    The flood gates are open now mate look out.

Isnt it great to be able to get out for a fish finally.
    We ventured out of tweed same time, same result(nearly), 2 x 1m plus spanyards and one 70cm yft trolling favorite coloured halcos and cheapass skirt slimy setups. YFT is my new favorite eating fish, absolutel beautiful, all before 7:30 am. In amongst that got smoked several times, time to revisit my wire knots, and buy some new braid i reckon. One smoking i managed to see, looked about 5 foot long at 40m back....thats the closest i got to it.

Hey Carnster, hows the yak action been down your way?

great report and top fun on the sienna. only ever take a small esky out myself now but keep a fish bag on board. only $50 and saves having to carry enough ice to chill a large esky.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Good fish on light gear,well done.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....