Thread: G'Day from Scrutts

G'Day from Scrutts

Hi, I am new to Ausfish this morning, I have just purchased a Dealtry Craft Boat with a red Holden inboard and would like to know if any Ausfish members know much about them, I am weighing up whether to replace with an outboard as I am not sure whether these motors are reliable, any thoughts would be appreciated? Cheers Scrutts

Re: G'Day from Scrutts

Great old boats that plug along, will roll at rest ( put some strakes on it) , be wet and seaworthy. Loved over in SA for simplicity but not the most well finished boats by todays sttandards but well made so look on the forums over there. Leave it as it is and you will have a cheap to run and maintain boat that will last years as long as it runs the right cam in it. All wet exhaust parts are still made and avaliable from a couple of manufacturers. Tiy occasionally see 186 come up for sale that have been fully rebuilt and balanced fo a song so keep a eye out and worst case they are cheap to rebuild. Do yourself a favour , this goes for any inboard, and get a local ski shop to look over the motor and check all the parts are marine grade like flame arresters on ait intake , fuel lines, distributor ( change it to electronic) as petrol on boats with ex car motors need to be set up right to be safe. Check the bilge and engine box are ventilated and ensure there is breathers on the tank.

Don't overrev that motor or overload the boat and teh motor will last forever.
    Put up some photos when you can and tell us if it has the straight dog clutch as a lot didn't even have reverse. Better with some cabin and screen on them as they were wet in slop. Always though a diesel in one would make a super ecconomical slow boat.