Thread: Mackay kayak fishing

Mackay kayak fishing

Hi all new to mackay. Keen to get out fishing. Just wanted to kno if anyone could help with some good fishing spots for the yak or just of the bank.

Re: Mackay kayak fishing

Hey mate. On foot, I like to walk the Basset Basin/Vines Creek. Easiest access is via Martin Street. Follow this all the way to the end to the dirt car park. You can dig yabbies pretty much anywhere through this system at the lower end of the tide. I usually head down 4 hours after the high tide, and work the last of the run out for whiting and flathead. Plastics also work a treat down here. You are a good chance of picking up a feed!! I am not a Yak fisher, but a good starting place is the Pioneer River. Any of the rock walls are a great place to start. You can work these all the way towards the mouth and pick up a heap of species. Also you could work the pylons on the bridges as well. I have had success in my boat, cant see how it would be any different in a yak. Kinchant Dam would also be worth a try in the Yak, it is great fun out there chasing the impoudment barra, there are some beauties in there. It is about a 30-40 minute drive from Mackay. Work the weed bank edges with poppers, fizzers and walk the dog style lures. All the best & Enjoy Mackay mate!

Thanks bud. I went out to kinchant the other day, but was unsure were to start. Any ideas to some good spots out there?

Yeah mate, when I was out there a couple of weeks ago, I had some success near the rock wall. There was a weed bank that pretty much ran along the whole length of the rock bar. We trolled this edge and got 1. At dusk we anchored, and cast at the edge of the weed bed for another one fish. As a start, without wanting to sound too general, find ANY weed bank and work it. In the summer months, I dont think it matters too much as the fish are pretty active, but as the weather gets cooler, find the warmer water and this is where the fish are. Think about the wind direction, and how this would effect the water temp. Have a read of this article http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Art...ter-Techniques . All the best

In the pioneer river towards the mouth is good for flatties with the odd queeny and gt. The rocky points Slade Point and Dolphin heads are good for golden trevally and the harbour wall and Slade island are good for pelagics all on trolled hard body lures. I am away for a month but will give you a shout when I get back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

No worries fish hunter thanks for that. I went out the dam yesty Arvo wen it stopped raining and tried a few stick baits on the surface. I got a few hits but never hooked up. Thanks for the help fisho_83 I'll be sure to try all the spots u told me.

Yeah, they aren't easy to hook up, it took me 3 trips before I hooked up! Least you know you are doing the right thing in the right places mate.