Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Swains Trailer Boat Trash Trip

Re: Swains Trailer Trash Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    gees, you guys are whimpy!! planing a big trip to the edge of the world in a trailer boat, yet scared to tell the wife your going, what's the world coming to?
    don't have the time to explain
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Hey Horse, How do you or where do you get the PDF attachments of the maps from. They look very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    Hey Horse, How do you or where do you get the PDF attachments of the maps from. They look very interesting.
    They are screenshots from Garmin Mapsource with G2 Vision charts
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Spoke to a bloke at the same Mechanic as mine yesterday that does this trip from Rosylin Bay about 4 times a year. His main comment was "Aim for at least 2 nights out there between the weather lol".

My first question was Shelter if something blows up, to which he stated there is plenty of shelter for all directions.

He also said, keep the bottom bashing gear at home, and concentrate on the Pelagics.

Sure its a "Mate of a mate" opinion, and I cant hold my heart and state its legitimacy, however thought I would share anyways.

P.S. His boat is a 2601 Striper with a 250 Yammy. He says 450 litres all up.

P.S.S. He would never ever ever do it without a second boat at least

OK we have a few dates that seem to fit with at least a few of us. The kickoff for the inaugural Swains Trailer Trash Armada M&G is the week from the 22/6/2013. This is the start of the school holidays so what better way to beat the crowds than head 180 km out into the Coral Sea.
    Details will need to be sorted but tentativly arrive at Bulls luxury waterfront mansion at Clairview Friday or Saturday then when the window of opportunity opens belt out to the Swains. Have a look around and a bit of a fish then turn the boats around and shoot back home again a day or two later.
    Whois putting their hand up at this stage to tag along? The trip is obviously dependant on weather and a call will be made a few days before the trip which may result in a reschedule to around the last week in July
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Neil,

It's in the diary. That's as good as booked.

When we talk weather - are we talking 10-15knots or 15-20.

Brett

PS I haven't tracked down the local boys from here who go every year. I was drunk when I was talking to them so I can't remember their names.

Bet you remember what you were drinking !!!!
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Bet you remember what you were drinking !!!!
    Actually yes ... it was about 37 glasses of champagne in our corporate tent at the Murwillumbah Races Melbourne Cup day.

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Neil,

It's in the diary. That's as good as booked.

When we talk weather - are we talking 10-15knots or 15-20.

Brett
    I would be happier with 10-15. If the forecast is 20 or over I think its best not to go. That area stands up with the shallow water and strong tidal influence. Phill, you bringing Rebait for a run?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Im in! Deckies please enquire.

THanks

Me n Spanyardo are in.. Guna hafta do well to pick the weather but we r down for anytime.

Hi Gents

Newish to Ausfish, but have been a long-time observer. I've been following this thread (and the previous 13 page epic) on this proposed Trailer Boat trip to the Swains from Clareview / Stanage with great interest.

I'm from Bris, and have been to Stanage 7 times over the last 10 years, either staying on Marble Is, Percy's or Stanage Bay, for pure fishing trips with mates on trailer boats. All previous trips have been designed around fishing the Percy's, Otterbourne and Hexham Islands with the intention of getting out to Swains for 1 or 2 nighters. The Gods have never lined up to allow a 2-3 day grace of sub 10knt winds, hence we have never made out to the Swains, but am ever hopeful that we can still get out there one day.

I’ve got to know Peter Laity, the Marble Island Manager quite well over the years, and Peter can give great insight on weather conditions an alike. Peter has relationships with the Percy Island managers where they trade produce i.e. deer meat, honey etc. Peter also deals regularly with Von from Stanage Bay. We often collect mail and other materials for Peter when we do this trip, and are happy to do a run out to Percys from Marble for Peter if needed. All this works well and it keeps a good relationship between us and the island managers. Other than ‘you’ local CQ punters, Peter would be your ideal contact for this kind of trip.

What makes this place so appealing is that you have options and there all weather dependant. You can:

1. Island hop from Marble to Otterbourne, Hexham, Steep, High Peak & Hannah Rock plus extras (round trip = 140km)
    2. Island hop from Marble to both Sail Rock South & Sail Rock North then onto Percy’s plus extras (round trip = 140km)
    3. Come back from Marble into Stanage Bay for Jew, Muddies, Barra, Fingermark and supplies plus extras (round trip = 50km)
    4. Big Trip Stanage to Paul Reef (Swains), passing through Marble & Percy plus extras (round trip = 270km(but only including 40km of travel when at Swains!!))

My point being you don’t need to design a trip with purely the intention of going to Swains. Swains can be treated as an ultimate goal if the weather permits. This takes the anxiety and pressure of the captain and crew so they can enjoy a trip and perhaps live that dream of getting to Swains in your trailer boat. Having 2,3,4,5 plus boats would certainly be a way of overcoming some of the big safety factors. i.e. mechanical, weather, fuel, health etc etc.

Most of my trips have been generally 1, and sometimes 2 boats max, 3-4 POB's, staying on average 7 days, again mostly on Marble Is, in one of the two houses available to rent. My current boat, since 2009, is a 7m plate alloy cat with twin 175 Zuks with 440L fuel so is capable of a trip like this. We base our fuel numbers on a worst case scenario with a burn of around 1.6L/1.0km (fully laden) being ‘on the plane’ speeds at 22-25knts, however there is a combination of cruising and trolling so these figures are a safe estimate. Here are my fuel burn numbers using both A. Ltr/km & B. Ltr/hr

Mar to Per Per to Swain Extras Tots
    Out(km) 39 54 40 133
    Return(km) 39 54 0 93
    Tot 226

A
    Km/hr
    42 Fuel Burn Dist Tot Fuel Burn
    1.6(Ltr/km) 226(km) 362(Ltr)

B
    42 Fuel Burn Dist Hrs Tot Fuel Burn
    50(Ltr/hr) 226(km) 5.4 270(Ltr)

As you can see scenario A based on Ltr/km is the worst case scenario for me. So my calcs make for 362Ltr being the min I require to do this trip. All of a sudden 400-500Ltr looks like a safe bet, keeping in mind I’m still based at Marble and need to get back to Stanage (21kms approx). I’ve attached a Wikimapia and Green Zone map that I put together showing real time distances. You’ll need to zoom in on the Wikimapia section to read the distances. The first waypoint is from Stanange to Marble being 20.9km, then 4.7km to the northern end of the Duke Island’s where Marble is located, then simply hoping to Percy then onto Paul Reef (Swains) and back again.

Would love to be a part of this trip if your happy to have a Ausfish greenhorn tag along.

I hope this is of use to you guys and good luck.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would guess I speak for everyone in saying you are more than welcome to tag along

Thank you for the insight!! We seem to be gathering some good information in this thread (Unlike the other one haha)

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I would be happier with 10-15. If the forecast is 20 or over I think its best not to go. That area stands up with the shallow water and strong tidal influence. Phill, you bringing Rebait for a run?
    Id say I would have to agree on the 10-15..

@ PimpaShrimp, are any of the Percy Islands habitable/suitable anchorage for a base camp?? Or is Marble Island more suitable??

Just for my own planning, is it locked in that Middle Is. (Percy's) be the base camp?

Im happy for the dirt road track.. But also flexible.

I like the idea of only a 60k run to the swains one morning

Quote Originally Posted by mustang5 View Post
    Id say I would have to agree on the 10-15..

@ PimpaShrimp, are any of the Percy Islands habitable/suitable anchorage for a base camp?? Or is Marble Island more suitable??

Just for my own planning, is it locked in that Middle Is. (Percy's) be the base camp?

Im happy for the dirt road track.. But also flexible.

I like the idea of only a 60k run to the swains one morning
    Mustang5 - The Middle Percy would be the pick as a base camp. As you said, it is only 60km to the Swains. There is a popular anchorage called 'West Bay' which is where the caretaker lives, and has a shack on the beach, with phone, that can be used (i think). This is a beautiful spot that is used for yachties / cruisers passing through looking for a suitable anchorage. As the name suggests it's located on the western side of Middle Percy.

If you want a little more remoteness about your trip, my preference is Whites Bay which is protected by Whites Bay Rock. This is also on Middle Percy, but located on the south eastern side. There's nothing there but a protected beach. It's protected from all directions even SE's. You can either sleep on the boat under anchor, or swag it on the beach, with your boat under two anchors (front & back), ass in. You'll have to be comfortable with boat sitting on the sand as the big tides come in and out. The times we have stayed there, we get a fire going, get on the ink, and cook up up some of your catch under the stars...awesome.

Thirdly, if you want a bit of comfort, a house on Marble would be the go. The two houses for rent are both 2 bed + 2 bath, with full kitchen and running water. Again, very protected anchorage here, and you'll be looked after by the Island Manager, Peter. Your biggest consideration here is that this will add 35km to your trip when heading out to Swains (in staright line).

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files