Thread: BIG fish preparation for the table

Cool BIG fish preparation for the table

Hi. Normal filleting and slicing big fish like jew, snapper,cod gives me a flaky,tough sort of fish when I cook it.
    Should I be cutting it into steaks like some people do for spanish mackeral. I have seen big snapper cut like this in fish shops.
    Would a frozen whole fish and a bandsaw be the answer?

Cheers john

Re: BIG fish preparation for the table

mate it's probably more the size of the fish, some larger fish can be tougher than the smaller versions. also make sure you bleed the fish straight away and get it onto ice, or even better into an ice slurry. I iki jime any fish I'm keeping as they die straight away and don't bang around the esky (bruising the flesh).

if you get a larger fish and find it a bit tough, try cutting the other fillet into cubes, crumb it and fry it then add a sauce at the end, the sauce will help compensate for the dryness. otherwise try a curry or a laksa, laksa is great for any fish as it adds moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    mate it's probably more the size of the fish, some larger fish can be tougher than the smaller versions. also make sure you bleed the fish straight away and get it onto ice, or even better into an ice slurry. I iki jime any fish I'm keeping as they die straight away and don't bang around the esky (bruising the flesh).

if you get a larger fish and find it a bit tough, try cutting the other fillet into cubes, crumb it and fry it then add a sauce at the end, the sauce will help compensate for the dryness. otherwise try a curry or a laksa, laksa is great for any fish as it adds moisture.
    What's a " iki jime "

It is brain spiking
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Dopn't cut it into steaks. It will just make it drier. When cooking don't cut massive slabs. Keep the fillets thin and don't over cook. I have had no issuesh Cod over 50lb and Cobia around the 70lb mark done this way
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    What's a " iki jime "