Thread: Paradise dam fishing

Paradise dam fishing

Going to paradise dam this weekend for a fish. I have taken red claw pots there before but did no good. This time keen for a fish. A couple of questions if anyone can help. 1, bait or lures and if the answer is lures, how deep 2, is it better fishing the dam wall end or travel further down towards mango crossing end. 3, do surface poppers work out there in amongst the trees. Cheers Gav

No red claw in there that I'm aware of if you can get right up in the timber should be a yella up in there spinner baits against timber would be a start. I'd call up the caravan park and ask them.

Re: Paradise dam fishing

Until there's been a stocking program in place for a few years, the dam will be a case of much water between fishes!!

Do they not stock this dam with anything or have the not done it for a while. Also with the yella would worms work, and how deep because I have noticed a lot of the Timber is still in deep water or do you try and look for the shallower parts. I am thinking the closer the banks the better.

As far as I'm aware, there has never been an active stocking program for this dam.
    Any fish in there are from stocking upstream of the dam or fish movement into the dam via the fish lift.
    If the local shires undertook a stocking program, it would bring welcome $$ from the traveling fishers.

Just a follow up report on my paradise trip, only fished for a couple of hours, just trolling around and hooked up to a 44 cm bass and a 50cm bass.

Congratulations on the fish, thats a good result for any dam..

There hasn't been any stocking program on the dam, its only a few years since it was built. You will get some decent fish that have been washed down from the biggenden weir stocking program.. I have caught some 45+cm yellas and bass, along with more fork tailed catfish than i would care to count.. Up past mingo crossing towards the gorge amongst the trees seems to be a pretty good spot, where as closer towards the wall i havent had as much luck but still managed a few..
    CHEERS BRAD

yeah, you'll get yellas from boondoomba (down the boyne to the burnett at mundubbera, and also weirs at mundubbera and gayndah are stocked also. not sure how many make it upstream. Irony is to that fisheries would never allow yellas to be stocked now as they're not native to this catchment but because they were stocked so earlly in Boondoomba they allow it. same deal with the mary catchment.
    is it a good place to fish brad? pretty big sucker isnt it?
    well done on the bass gav, nice work

yeh its pretty huge haha, i havent been up there for a couple of years, time just seems to slip away.. Im thinking about going up for a fish one of these days. It was a great dam to fish pretty much as soon as it was built. And seems as though the fish are really getting a go on..
    CHEERS BRAD