Thread: Dacron vs Mono Diameter??

Dacron vs Mono Diameter??

All, kg for kg breaking strain is hollow dacron (as used in game fishing, not regular braid) smaller or bigger in diameter than regular nylon mono, say momoi or similar. Just thinking i might spool my 50's with dacron + mono topshot given they are due for a respool and dacron is so much better then mono for getting the hurt on. Was worried the dacron might be fatter though and i'd loose some capacity in the exercise.

Scott

Re: Dacron vs Mono Diameter??

You won't loose any capacity Scott, they are pretty close, with the Dacron being slightly thinner as it packs down when you wind it on with plenty of drag. It will save you money in the long run, as the dac will last years, and you will only be replacing the 100m or so topshot regularly. 10 topshots out of a 1000m spool of mono. Just change it every season, or after a few fish when it starts to look a bit off.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Myles, thanks for that. As far as I can tell the Dacron wins hands down on all fronts, cost, performance you name it. I was just going to join it with like a regular splice like you do when attaching the Dacron to the mono bit of a wind on leader, is that the go??

Yep, just make it a loooooong splice, 5 feet or so and whip it good!
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power