Thread: Best first timer rod and reel

Best first timer rod and reel

Advice please. Having just woken the sleeping fisho in me I have started kitting up with a number of rods and reels to suit my ambitions. I have a fox sailfish 4 piece rod and a Wilson 7 ft 6-10 kg 2 piece. I have a shimano bait runner 6000d and was wondering if my next reel step should be upsize or downsize. I am not one to skimp on quality gear but probably a little way off something like a Stella etc.

Would appreciate advice on next move up to $350 - $400?

It's really all dependant on what you want to do? Spin soft plastics, bottom bash, chase barra, ive got a symetre 1000 8lb line on a 6'10 2-3kg rod for spinning lures for flatties etc. then a 5000 with 20lb for anything heavier and playing with hard divers. If you have a tackle world near you. Go and speak to them. They are a very handy bunch of guys and help you out to within a budget. (although they'll show you their favourite/spenno gear as well hehe)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Re: Best first timer rod and reel

Yes. It is very dependent on what you want to fish for as a Marlin outfit will not catch whiting and flathead and vise versa.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Re: Best first timer rod and reel

in a funny sort of way, your fishing tackle choice seems to start at one point, wander off in various directions, and usually comes back to the start! let me explain, most start out on the beach or jetty and dream of Snapper and boats, sometime in the future, the boat is aquired and the Snapper start to hit the dining table, but then, we start to wonder about Marlin and Sharks, so once again, a bigger boat and mega expensive gear gets purchased, and after a decade or so, we start to dream of the simple days, when a bucket and a small rod was all you needed for a days fishing, and to get a feed for the table, the wind doesn't matter anymore either, a quick look at the tide charts, and 15mins later, your fishing! The endless hours of maintaining a big boat, the fuel bills, the cleaning up after 8-10 hours fishing becomes a real chore!! and then in the corner of the shed, you spy your old favorite Whiting rod and nipper pump, and suddenly your reborn.