Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Yak to buy?

Which Yak to buy?

Looking at either a Hobie or Viking. Not going to be hard core offshore fishing. Just dams, rivers, and in the Pumicestone Passage when on holidays.
    Would just like to get out on the water for fishing and fitness.
    If I was to buy a 2 seater, can you go solo in these with any success? Darling may want to come as well, but not all the time.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Re: Which Yak to buy?

Ive got a wilderness systems 2 seater 13 and a half foot. Its a sit in kayak so i wouldnt take it in any swell, i have had it in the river and lakes when you get a few waves around a foot high and it is fine. Also done plenty of white water in it with no issues, never with fishing gear though. My old man has a perception 2 seater almost identical and i have grown up fishing out of it, probably 15 years old now if not older and no issues ever. I fish out of it all the time by myself, just have to put a big rock (5-10kg) right up the front to balance it out. Its great as you can throw fish gear etc in it with worry of anything slipping off. Perfect for rivers, estuaries and dams/lakes. Its also fast to paddle, with the missus in i can still out paddle mates in single seat sit on tops.

I you can afford it, the hobie is generally a better option in relatively open water. We have an outfitter and it is great for around straddie and in the dams around toowoomba, but you lose a bit of manoeuvrability with the pedals as you can't go backwards or stop in a hurry. It's nice and easy to get around in with one person as well, but in skinny water a slightly smaller paddle yak is the go.

i had a viking fisherman 2 (2 seater)only just sold it.. it was a very good thing very strong and durable , i had a go in the single fisherman and it was a good unit also . hobie is the more elite sort of yak but you do pay a premium for that , when the viking will do everything you want but cost alot less.

The viking twins are decent kayaks, you will not be disappointed.
    When going solo you will need to pack your gear where the 2nd person should be to balance the rig.
    Jack.

hey mate, I have a hobie pro angler and love it. Although not a two seater, if your mrs is in the petite range, then she can easily sit on the back of the hobie, and a second seat can be fitted for comfort. My mrs will happily sit in the back of it and get pedalled around for upto 18 odd km. Both my kids can fit on the back at once, and you don't really notice the difference with effort required.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

I have a viking nemo fisherman 1 seater and Its great.
    Really stable, but not the fastest nor lightest yak out there.

If you are using it in mainly flat water I would get a canoe with an electric motor, 2 or 3 seater, lots more space than a yak and a lot drier!! Check out some of the range from Old Town Canoes on BLA's website

I'm sure Viking are just as good as Hobie. Key issues are (1) features you need/want (2) maximum capacity of kayak - ie. how heavy will those be that will use it + equipment? (3) price is the other factor.

I have a Hobie Oasis, which is a pedal jobby and is perfect fro fishing. It has a capacity of $260kg, which is very good - but it also means it is heavy (33kg). It's not easy to lift by one person (unless you are a weightlifter). They can be easily used by one person - I use one of those 5 gallon collaspible water tanks and fill it up at the point of launch and place in the front seat to bring the nose down.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Thanks for all the help , I have decided to go for a Viking Nemo 2+1 as it would seem to tic all the boxes and at 28kg i wont bust a gut loading it. good deal at viking as you get a free upgrade to deluxe seats.

I have owned a Hobie outfitter twin..easy to use single handed..just put the front fins in folded up..puts sufficient drag on the front.

The current yak is an OK Prowler..was not happy with it at the start until the agent told me a few things, such asthey have bungs for under the seat which the retailer did not tell me about. I am happy with it now..but you need one with a rudder.

I looked at Vikings..I did not buy one as no handles on the side..a bit difficult to lift onto the ladder racks without handles..that was what turned me away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I have owned a Hobie outfitter twin..easy to use single handed..just put the front fins in folded up..puts sufficient drag on the front.

The current yak is an OK Prowler..was not happy with it at the start until the agent told me a few things, such asthey have bungs for under the seat which the retailer did not tell me about. I am happy with it now..but you need one with a rudder.

I looked at Vikings..I did not buy one as no handles on the side..a bit difficult to lift onto the ladder racks without handles..that was what turned me away from them.
    I was keen for a kayak with a rudder as well, but the guy at the Viking shop I spoke to says the Nemo tracks very well with the extended keel. I did notice they didn't have handles in the middle, they are an option for $15 a pair so I think I will grab a pair of them, thanks for the heads up.

Ask the people that tell you don't need a rudder on a kayak if they will drive a car without a steering wheel. FYI the rudder isn't for tracking but for turning and the 1st time you are trying to turn your kayak in anything more than a slight breeze or paddle with the wind from anywhere except directly from behind you will understand exactly why it needs a rudder.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    Ask the people that tell you don't need a rudder on a kayak if they will drive a car without a steering wheel. FYI the rudder isn't for tracking but for turning and the 1st time you are trying to turn your kayak in anything more than a slight breeze or paddle with the wind from anywhere except directly from behind you will understand exactly why it needs a rudder.
    Good point, this is why I am asking these questions before I buy as I dont know the first thing about kayaks. Never paddled one either, been in canoe's back in my scout days. Ok so might go look at the Ocean Kayak then.

White-water kayaks don't have rudders and yet turn on a dime...

Of course they are very short, and basically that's the key here. You'll notice that most kayaks under 4 meters don't have rudders. Also be aware that rudders have tendencies to catch things like anchor-lines and the like, so it's not all plus and no minus!

In my experience kayak shops are very good at pointing you to the right kayak for your level of experience & aspirations, in some places you can even take one for a test ride.

Finally, I am probably not telling you anything new but if you're keen to do some research online, you can look up kayak reviews on AKFF http://www.akff.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=72