Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Media release. Net Buy Back.

Re: Media release. Net Buy Back.

This is good policy and the minister should be congratulated. Contrary to mikes comment one aim is to reduce commercial effort. And as I promised, I would release fishing & boating policy during the election - and this net buyback plan was one of the commitments made and is now being implemented. The government has begun fulfilling its commitments to fishers, with more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    Contrary to mikes comment one aim is to reduce commercial effort.
    Yet that isn't mentioned at all in the objectives of the scheme, or in any of the information provided to the pro netters.

1. Objective
    The objective of the scheme is to make the East Coast commercial net fisheries more sustainable by the voluntary surrender of ‘N1’ and ‘N2’ licences under a competitive tender.

http://www.qraa.qld.gov.au/images/Ap...guidelines.pdf

Mark I totally agree that this is good policy, and should go some way to sucuring a future for the pro netters wishing to remain in the industry, at least in short to medium term. Just a pity the admin costs are so high and coming out of the compensation money.

However from a rec anglers point of view, you couldn't design a $9mill net buy-back scheme that was more ineffective than this one.
    1/ It's voluntary
    2/ It not area specific
    3/ Log Book history irrelevant (unused or hardly used licences can be sold back)
    4/ Quota or effort is not being handed back with the licence

If you really wanted help out rec anglers instead of conning them into thinking the net buy-back is for their benefit, your Gov would be selecting several areas/creeks/rivers and creating rec fishing havens. Then use the $9mil to buy out all the net licences and effort in those selected areas.
    ~~~><))))*>

Can I have a clarification of a term that seems to be brandied about lately?
    The term 'effort'.
    To me an effort is using physical or mental energy to do something. ie TOL or myself will have to put in more of an effort to catch a feed of fish then Webby or Phill would.
    It seems to me the word 'effort' is been used here instead of the word quota. Does 'effort' have the same meaning as 'quota'?

To me the meaning of the word 'effort' can give Mark's words two totally different meanings.
    Contrary to mikes comment one aim is to reduce commercial effort.
    Does that mean commercial guys are going to do less work or are the commercial guys going to have a lower quota?
    To me it means there are going to be fewer but bigger boats with more mechanical aids bringing in the same quota.

PS: I hate the word aim in any policy or anything to do with politics or a politician.
    To me it's a 'get out of jail free card'.
    As an example...I'm going fishing off the Wellington point Jetty and I aim to catch a 30kg Knobby.
    I went fishing alright but did I catch a 30kg Snapper?
    I did my best but I failed in my quest.
    Did I really have any realistic expectations of catching a 30kg Knobby off Wello Pt. Jetty?
    Aim means absolutely didly squat to me.

It would scare the crappers out of me if I did but that would be another story. Most definitely another story.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

The way I interpreted this article was the quota would be divided into fewer commercial licences to make it more profitable for those that remain.
    It is a vote buying ticket IMHO that will have minimal effect on the fishery.
    The government should be looking at the sales avenues and regulating that to make an effect to the fishery that will be tangible.
    We do not need to have a seafood import industry, there is nothing overseas that can not be effectively and safely farmed and harvested here in this country.
    The biggest threat to our fishery is not over fishing, it is bio-security, the hardest thing to manage and control.
    Jack.

So no takers on the definitive meaning for the term 'effort'?
    If not then the whole policy is as meaningless as the term.

This is good policy and the minister should be congratulated. Contrary to mikes comment one aim is to reduce commercial effort.
    Please explain. What exactly is commercial effort?

Scott - there are a million and one reports that explain what fishing effort means and most is common in global fisheries so maybe you are banging on about something you already know for a reason?

There is methodology in how they calculate it, and it is a differing depending on what sort of fishery you are specifically referring too.
    It basically looks at days fished/quotas/fleet size capacity

Have a read of this from Chapter 8 to explain one specific fishery type

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_11121.htm

No I did not know what 'effort' is or was. It seemed to me people were saying 'effort' was the same as quota.
    I asked for a definition for a reason. To find out.
    So the term 'effort' is the amount of effort taken to catch a certain amount of fish.
    So it seems nothing in 'effort' concerns quota
    A pretty good explanation to the term was found here
    http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...004-Part11.pdf
    It seems to me this net buy back is going to result in fewer nets to achieve the same quota of fish caught.
    That means there are going to be fewer nets alright. Just that the remaining nets are going to be bigger doesn't it?

Hands up all those who were not 100% sure of what 'effort' meant.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    No I did not know what 'effort' is or was. It seemed to me people were saying 'effort' was the same as quota.
    I asked for a definition for a reason. To find out.
    So the term 'effort' is the amount of effort taken to catch a certain amount of fish.
    So it seems nothing in 'effort' concerns quota
    A pretty good explanation to the term was found here
    http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents...004-Part11.pdf

Hands up all those who were not 100% sure of what 'effort' meant.
    Me for one .
    Shawn

This is good policy and the minister should be congratulated. Contrary to mikes comment one aim is to reduce commercial effort. And as I promised, I would release fishing & boating policy during the election - and this net buyback plan was one of the commitments made and is now being implemented. The government has begun fulfilling its commitments to fishers, with more to come.
    I have been thinking a lot about this a fair bit and can I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how reducing commercial effort makes my saltwater fishing or our fisheries better.
    Can someone a bit smarter then me explain how reducing effort (and not quota) makes our fisheries better?
    All I can see with this net buy back are larger boats and nets to reduce effort but the same number of fish been caught. (well sold is probably a better description as I reckon a lot more fish will be caught and a lot more dead fish thrown back into the sea I reckon, I reckon)

I agree finga..without changing the catch levels then no point in the buy back except to waste our money once again.

It gives some people a good case of the warm and fuzzies.

I am over politicians of all leanings..they all rely on spin..they will tell you prior to an election how they will make the place the land of milk and honey..after being elected you find the honey bees don't like them and have gone and the milk has curdled.

It is amazing how they can rush through legislation to stop KAP getting party recognition yet anything else takes them so bloody long to implement it is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I agree finga..without changing the catch levels then no point in the buy back except to waste our money once again.

It gives some people a good case of the warm and fuzzies.

I am over politicians of all leanings..they all rely on spin..they will tell you prior to an election how they will make the place the land of milk and honey..after being elected you find the honey bees don't like them and have gone and the milk has curdled.

It is amazing how they can rush through legislation to stop KAP getting party recognition yet anything else takes them so bloody long to implement it is ludicrous.
    So true Greg, this $9m scheme is designed by the pros for the pros and to make their industry more sustainable. We were initially told there'd be rec imput into the scheme but that was removed in the planning stages. Commercial catches will remain roughly the same but spread across fewer commercial netters. In itself that's a good thing and will go a long way in securing the med term future of the Qld commercial fishing industry. Dissapointing to see the the Minister for Misleading Ausfish and other cult members trying to show us another silk purse made out of a sow's ear.

It hasn't been widely reported, but it should be noted that Labor joined the LNP and voted to stop Kater's party getting full party status and funding.
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Thanks Phill,
    Just a question concerning the highlighted sentence . Does this mean that the remaining licence holders pick up the slack ( as per tonnage ) ?
    Any chance we can keep polititcs / rec v's pro out of this discussion ?
    Shawn
    Obviously not , oh well .
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    So true Greg, this $9m scheme is designed by the pros for the pros and to make their industry more sustainable. We were initially told there'd be rec imput into the scheme but that was removed in the planning stages. Commercial catches will remain roughly the same but spread across fewer commercial netters. In itself that's a good thing and will go a long way in securing the med term future of the Qld commercial fishing industry. Dissapointing to see the the Minister for Misleading Ausfish and other cult members trying to show us another silk purse made out of a sow's ear.

It hasn't been widely reported, but it should be noted that Labor joined the LNP and voted to stop Kater's party getting full party status and funding.
    I know..cos Labor would have gotten less funding if KAP got some.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Obviously not , oh well .
    Shawn
    It looks very much like the remaining nets pick up the tonnage slack old mate