Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anglers V's bicycle riders

Anglers V's bicycle riders

A comparison to consider:
    Anglers.....what do they have to pay to be able to enjoy a day on the water?
    Bicycle riders....what do they have to pay to be able to enjoy a day on the road?

I'm not talking about costs to purchase equipment to enjoy the past-times but fees (like RUF, SIP, rego) to spend a day doing what they enjoy doing.
    What does each group get for their money?

Buggered if I know.
    If I want to ride my bike I can use all these flash bike ways going here, there and every friggin' where.....and they didn't cost me a brass penny (and then if I feel like it I'll annoy some motorists and take over the roads)
    If I want to have a throw off Wello Point jetty there are no fees.
    If I want to have a throw in my local creek (freshwater) it costs me.
    If I want to use a boat it costs me a whole lot more if I fish freshwater or briney stuff.....

Are things fair and equable considering the numbers of people who participate in each activity?
    What does each group contribute to the QLD economy?
    What does each group get from the QLD Government?

Cheers Scott
    PS: I don't think this thread should be here but where should it be?
    Please move it as deemed appropriate Mr/Mrs Mods
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Re: Anglers V's bicycle riders

Well what you get for your money as a fishermen is a whole lot of government departments filled with people who wouldn't know what the difference is between a rod and a handline.
    But we pay millions in rego's to have to fight for a boat ramp.

Thereis Jo boat rego's in the territory. Why? Because the minister in charge actually goes hunting and fishing. A man that does the sport knows a lot kore than a man behind the desk as we have in QLD.

What about the un measurable cost to anglers when I arrive at my favourite breakfast establishment to only be met with a pair of fluro yelow flies eye's or an unsightly moose knuckle. I don't wear spandex while fishing.... Or Do I? :-p
    I think it is about status associated with the sport etc. It is the same with funding to any of the portfolio's what is hot and what is not. I personally feel that the fisho's do really get nailed when it comes to things like this and the BS saga that is Wello Point boat ramp debarkle. Its all about marketability. Take a look at the vitamin add's where Cadel Evans is the spokesperson, it is about portrayal of healthy lifestyles and what sells I think that fishing is one of the most healthy activities in my life and in most others I have people say ohh fishing yeah sounds easy.. take them out ohhhh so you are actually standing and casting all day in the boat... most dip out after about 3-4 hours Ohh I need to sit down. I don't think many things are looked at equally when it comes to funding. Squeeky wheel gets the oil.

As an avid member of both communities i think the comparison is unfair. Bike =kayak [no motor]. No rego etc reqd as there is no motor. Compare boat to motorbike and i think they are pretty even.

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    As an avid member of both communities i think the comparison is unfair. Bike =kayak [no motor]. No rego etc reqd as there is no motor. Compare boat to motorbike and i think they are pretty even.
    You've gone mad with the grog. Same as a motor bike. If that's the case the government who takes $160+ a year for boat Rego better be doing something about the pot holes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    You've gone mad with the grog. Same as a motor bike. If that's the case the government who takes $160+ a year for boat Rego better be doing something about the pot holes out there.
    Why? They don't seem to do anything about them on the roads.

The amount of concrete there is in a bike way would have made our boat ramps bloody fantastic !!!

Red face Re: Anglers V's bicycle riders

Tinnies under 6HP want their own shipping lane !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Tinnies under 6HP want their own shipping lane !!!!

Bloody hell......I got one of Gazza's post. You little corker

Boat rego.....good example for value for money.
    How much is taken in with QLD boat registrations per year and what do those people paying the registration fee get?
    I pay out over $200 per year for boat registration. What do I get?? Personally I don't even get a boat ramp as there are always people fishing off it and cars parked across it and it's just easier to launch straight off the bank.

Kayaks were mentioned and the fact they do not pay registration so they would be a better comparison to bicycles.
    OK. I'll go along with that.
    What do the fraternity who indulge in all paddle past-times get for their lack of contribution?? Didly squat??
    What do bicycles get for their lack of contribution to the State's coffers??

Motorcycles and boats.
    Rego costs for a motorcycle in QLD is about $228 for single seater or $416 for two seater
    Rego for a boat in QLD is about $88 for up to 4.5m and 10m is about $426.

A fairly even costing versus benefits received can be looked at if you consider a motorcycle with single seat rego ($228) and a 5m boat ($175).With a motorcycle there are roads to ride on. Something for your money even if they're bloody horrible 50kms from Brisbane CBD.
    What do boats boats of around the 5m mark get for their contribution to the State's coffers??
    What do larger boats (10m plus) that do not use boat ramps get for their contribution to the state's coffers??

As I've said many times I do not mind spending money but I need to see value for money.
    At the moment it seems bicycle riders get extremely good value for their money and motor boat owners get very little value for their money.
    Thoughts??

I do both with equal passion but there are not many bikeways (if any) that are only for cyclists - lots of people use them for walking, jogging so to say they are spent just to appease that part of the community is incorrect. Bikeways on the roads are just a bit of paint - big deal. Most cyclist are aware of their impact on car lanes but as with anything there are some ignorant people on bikes that ride around like they are part of a TDF peleton. I tend to think these people would be ignorant whether walking, riding or driving a car or boat.

No doubt bugger all has been spent on facilities for boaties over the last twenty years - no disagreement there but I fail to see you logic in comparing the two. Obviously having a bad day with a cyclist.

Mossy - if those people are complaining after 3-4 hrs fishing then I would hate to see them cover a 100km bike ride - time to hit the gym I think.

All right ban bicycles on the roads because they don't pay rego but dont whine when the traffic gets even worse. A better idea would be some sort of identifier on cyclists. That way the small minority that are tools and give cyclists a bad name can be fined . I hate it when i see other cyclists fail to give way, run red lights speed etc

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    I do both with equal passion but there are not many bikeways (if any) that are only for cyclists - lots of people use them for walking, jogging so to say they are spent just to appease that part of the community is incorrect. Bikeways on the roads are just a bit of paint - big deal. Most cyclist are aware of their impact on car lanes but as with anything there are some ignorant people on bikes that ride around like they are part of a TDF peleton. I tend to think these people would be ignorant whether walking, riding or driving a car or boat.

No doubt bugger all has been spent on facilities for boaties over the last twenty years - no disagreement there but I fail to see you logic in comparing the two. Obviously having a bad day with a cyclist..
    Yep. Granted there may not be many dedicated bike-ways purely for cyclist BUT they're there.
    The paint on the road may as well be concrete and be dedication to the cyclist. Bikes even have their picture painted on them so there is no confusion.
    Can a car drive on the paint on the road with the pictures of bikes on it for it's entirety?
    I bet in rush hour people would like to be able to drive on them....but they simply cannot.....and they paid for that bitumen originally.

Are boat ramps and facilities that are supposed to be paid for by boat registrations purely for use by registered motor boats?
    Nope. Paddlers use them. Rag boats use them too. What facilities are there purely for the owners of motor boats?

Nope. Not having a bad day with a cyclist. I haven't left home so I couldn't have a bad day with a cyclist.
    It just amuses me when you consider the amount of money that is spent on cyclists who contribute absolutely didly squat to the State's coffer's and the amount of money that is spent on people with motorboats who contribute megabucks to the State's coffers every year.

So pretty much all I've gotten from this is charge cyclists Rego money and stop paying boat Rego.
    I like it.
    More money for fishing gear.

Holly snapping duck poo.
    Here are some of the projects for bikes QLD government has funded.
    -Park Road to crib Street ($2.8 million) 400m upgrade was completed in September 2009
    -Lang Parade to Land Street ($4.1 million) 500m upgrade was completed in September 2010.
    -Kurilpa Park to South Bank ($1.45 million) 250 metre upgrade to divert bikeway users during the construction of Hale Street Missing Link East was completed in June 2011.
    -Go Between Bridge to Crib Street ($5.5 million) 250m upgrade is due for completion in 2011
    -Go Between Bridge to William Jolly Bridge ($6.2 million) 550m upgrade is due for completion in 2011
    -Park Road to Lang Parade ($5 million) 565m upgrade is due for completion in 2012/12.
    -125m long, 4m wide Green Bridge will provide safe cyclist and pedestrian access across Miami Lake between Honeyeater Drive and Galeen Drive in Burleigh Waters. cost $2.2 million
    -David Low Way Cycle Facilities

This $3 million project will construct cycle facilities along David Low Way between Petrie Creek and Maroochy River & Williams Street and Emu Mountain Road. These facilities will provide safe access for cyclists along one of the most highly used commuter routes in the Sunshine Coast region
    -The $8 million RBWH Cycle Centre, officially opened on 10 November 2009, provides access to a state-of-the-art end of trip facility for up to 750 cyclists, pedestrians and joggers.

and the list goes on and on
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and...k-program.aspx
    So cyclists contribute how much to the State's coffers and a quick glance I see projects directed towards cyclists amounting near $40,000,000 in the last few years. How much have cyclists contributed to these facilities?
    How much has been spent on facilities for the owners of motor boats?? How much have they given the QLD Government??

A bit of an imbalance?