Thread: Open Letter To Queensland Recreational Fishers

Open Letter To Queensland Recreational Fishers

This was posted on the QFM Facebook site and my attention drawn to it.

http://www.facebook.com/FishingMonthlyGroup?ref=ts&fref=ts

OPEN LETTER TO QUEENSLAND RECREATIONAL FISHER

Dear Recreational Fisher

The Newman Government is spending more than $10 million from this year’s State budget on recreational fisheries management and activities.

Every single dollar of that very substantial amount, made available in very difficult economic times, fully supports recreational fishing in Queensland, and it is laid out clearly and publicly in the 2012-13 budget documents.

Unfortunately, a rather colourful, emotive, but misleading campaign is being waged by some competing fishing groups including Sunfish. Self-preservation and self-promotion may be contributing factors to the campaign, but many of the claims are simply not true and do not stand up to scrutiny.

For example, if less than $1m is raised from the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS), and less than $5m is raised through the Recreational Use Fee (RUF) on recreational boat registrations, more than $4m is coming from somewhere else, and it’s not coming from the pockets of recreational fishers or from thin air. The remainder is coming directly from the Newman Government’s investment of public funds.

Services provided by Fisheries Queensland to recreational fishers from this $10m budget include :

· compliance, surveillance and enforcement including boat ramp signage and community service announcements ($3.2m);

· communication and education programs including free handbook for recreational fishers ($500,000);

· fish stocking and recovery programs, pest fish education, and marine habitat protection ($2m);

· recreational fishing survey including Keen Angler and online diary program ($300,000);

· research, monitoring, and reporting activities ($2.5m); and

· scientific assessment and policy development ($2m).

This funding is in addition to the $10m election commitment that will improve monitoring of recreational fishing and a buy-back of commercial netting licences.
    Claims that the government has cut or redirected funding from the RUF for non-recreational fishing use are simply not true. I can’t put it more clearly than that. The entire amount that is raised through RUF, plus much more, is provided to Fisheries Queensland and is used to fund services related only to recreational fishing.

When I took over the Fisheries portfolio, I was disappointed to learn that some fishing groups such as Sunfish had been allowed to, and were, using government funds for their administration.

I believe the government must concentrate on investing in programs that directly support fishers – all fishers, not just those affiliated with a specific group. This is why the Newman Government has redirected this funding. I believe administration of an industry body such as Sunfish should be paid for by its members. To give you an example, in April this year, Sunfish sent my office a one page proposal asking for $242,000 - proposing the bulk of those funds to go towards administration, operational funding and consultants.

It seems unfair that the money intended to benefit all recreational fishers would go towards a group that represented only three per cent of the 700,000 recreational fishers in Queensland. I would rather see all recreational fishers benefit from every dollar of our investment.

There are numerous inaccuracies in some recent statements by some groups:

· Marine habitat assessment has not been axed – Fisheries Queensland continues to manage programs for the protection of marine plants and freshwater habitat;

· Fishway teams – Fisheries Queensland no longer builds and designs fishways but still provides advice and assesses proposals;

· Recreational fishing unit – Fisheries Queensland’s organisational structure has changed, but its staff are still employed on recreational fishing programs; and

· Assessment and monitoring, Rfish surveys, consultation on management, education and communications, and QBFP compliance are all key services for recreational fishing provided as part of the Fisheries Queensland budget.

It’s also misleading in the extreme to suggest the government only cares about commercial fishing. The current net buy-back scheme has been introduced to address both recreational and commercial fishers’ concerns about the number of licences in the market. This government has listened to all sectors and claims to the contrary are nothing but mischievous.

It is my hope that recreational fishers will see through these blatantly false and misleading claims which are self-serving and intended to distract from the business of sustaining our fisheries for all Queenslanders.

At a time when so much effort is being put into reducing this State’s huge debt levels, and when so many organisations and individuals are playing their part in getting Queensland back on a sound economic path, it is disappointing to have to reject the false claims and self-centred actions of a few.

I know there is more that could be done to assist recreational fishers in Queensland. But it has to be done responsibly, within the tight financial constraints we find ourselves in, and with everyone in mind, not just a select few.
    The Newman Government, through Fisheries Queensland, will continue to work with recreational fishers to ensure they are part of the decision-making process on fisheries management. Fishers should not be put off by internal bickering among their representative groups.

I welcome the considered and balanced views of all recreational fishers at all times and I appreciate it when they are sent directly to the government. I just want the views of fishers about government policies and activities to be based on the facts.
    I call on th
    ose groups to cut out the colourful interpretations of facts and figures, cut out the self-awarded artistic licence and emotion, and let’s handle the truth a little more carefully. That’s what will happen if we genuinely want the best for everyone involved.

John McVeigh MP
    Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry

Re: Open Letter To Queensland Recreational Fishers

Okay it seems the govt is unhappy that Sunfish are getting cranky with them for not funding them to the tune of $242 000 and accusing them of stirring things up with untruths.

Is it true though, what the govt (John McVeigh MP) says that Sunfish only represent 3% of 700 000 fishermen or is he telling untruths? How can they quantify this and surely anything that Sunfish do for the benefit of the fishery benefits all fishermen that use it - what am I missing here?

I am not advocating just give the money to Sunfish but more interested to know where the truth sits here.

To spend money wisely it needs to be assessed as the value that it returns, but here it just seems like it was taken back from what was previously allowed. I do know of one person (not in QLD or Sunfish) and he travels to some of these fisheries talkfests and spends enormous amounts of time in representation and for this he will get in return a small amount for meals whilst away and basic accommodation and they share vehicles to reduce costs - nothing extravagent. So for my mind this is good value in return for money paid out as they get no money for their time and expertise just about 80% of their out of pocket expenses and these talks do get useful information shared and put forward and they are not a big luxury junket either. That's how I knew it when I used to see him and I am sure he hasn't suddenly become a well paid junket surfing advisor.

Interested in other people's thoughts but this is my experience.

I am suspicious and just wonder if the govt. is more interested in starving these groups financially so they can not be around to hold the goverment accountable.

I really wish fisheries portfolio was not wrapped up with agriculture and we had a more dedicated minister who cared more about the fish than wool, wheat and cotton and had a background in coastal activities and not a paddock far from the ocean.

Not saying it has to be a single protfolio but should be with something more relevant like tourism and i suppose that might not sit well with commercial fishermen but where does the majority of dollars and participation lay?
    Cheers

Trev

Well who is ignoring other issues of concern and attacking one body and ignoring other bodies. Makes one even wonder if McVeigh is even the author as there does not even appear to be a letterhead.
    This From Mike on another post on this forum

• Freshwater Stocking Groups meet with Qld Fisheries

• \

Freshwater Stocking Groups meet with Qld Fisheries

This is a letter sent out after the recent meeting between the Freshwater Fish Stocking Assoc of Qld and Fisheries Qld

To: All Stocking Groups
      Outcomes From Fisheries Queensland Meeting.
      On Thursday the 11th October 2012 FFSAQ met with Fisheries Queensland as a follow up to the email sent to stakeholders regarding budget savings in fisheries management. Fisheries Queensland was represented by Maria Mohr (Managing Director), Andrew Thwaites A/Executive Director, and Peter Kind (Freshwater Scientist). Robin Caddy and Les Kowitz attended on behalf of FFSAQ. The meeting was convened to allow a better understanding of the implications that budget savings would have on the freshwater sector, including the future of the stocking program.

FFSAQ was advised that a program of fish stocking in Queensland would continue, but would be scaled back significantly. In effect, the Recreational Fishing Enhancement Program (RFEP) no longer exists. Fish stocking permits will be maintained and renewed as required, but there will only be minor support and assistance from Fisheries Queensland as staff is no longer available. The positions of Fisheries Extension Officers no longer exist and most staff has now been dismissed. And of course, as previously advised, there will no longer be any government funding for fish fingerling purchases. It was confirmed that there will be no further freshwater workshops scheduled. The SIP Scheme remains intact.

Ceasing of the Fishcare Volunteer Program, the fishway and barrier team, the Suntag Tagging Program, and the Native Fish Strategy team were all confirmed.

There is no intention by the LNP Government to progress the Recreational Fishing Development Plan, as proposed by the previous Labor government.

The Economic and Social Value Survey conducted at 12 freshwater impoundments across Queensland and undertaken by Central Queensland University at Rockhampton was scheduled to be completed by June 1012. It is now expected by the 31st December 2012. It is considered that the results of this survey will indicate the significance of freshwater fishing, and this will assist in influence future government decisions.

The review of the Freshwater Management Plan, as required under the Fisheries Act, will be progressed, and a further meeting of the Working Group has been called in a few weeks’ time.

The future enhancement of Mary River cod as a stocked impoundment specie was discussed, and it has to be said that any progress in a meaningful way over and above what is existing, must be considered questionable. FFSAQ was informed that both hatcheries licenced to breed cod have failed to produce any fingerlings.

The Private Pleasure Vessel (PPV) levy, now known as the Recreational Use Fee (RUF) was raised by FFSAQ for clarification. This fee is a charge levied on boat registrations and is supposed to be expended by Fisheries Queensland on recreational fishing. It raises some $4.6M annually. Even though some of the past expenditure was questionable, it did fund programs such as the RFEP, the Suntag Program, Fishcare Volunteers and the likes. The LNP government has now re-allocated all these funds to consolidated revenue and recreational fishing now gets nothing.

To summarize, and where to from here. In general, Fisheries Queensland will maintain a bare bones fish stocking program with much less service and contribution as in the past. This means that stocking groups, particularly non-SIP groups, will have to be much more self-reliant in their operations. It is expected that this will be very difficult for some. As the SIP Scheme remains intact, these groups are much more secure.

Because of the deterioration of service by Fisheries Queensland, FFSAQ had approached the government for funding to undertake some of the void that has occurred. FFSAQ’s application was denied.

FFSAQ is confident that there is still a very promising future for freshwater fishing in Queensland, despite the current attitude of the LNP government. What is needed is an ongoing campaign to enlighten your local member of parliament of the benefits derived from recreational freshwater fishing, including the economic and social value to your local community. FFSAQ will continue to campaign on your behalf, but it must have your ongoing involvement. If FFSAQ and its stocking group members can maintain a strong and united voice, the benefits will come.

Freshwater fishing has a cultural and heritage value to many Queenslanders, let us maintain that value and tradition.

"The LNP have ruled out rec fishing licenses."
      -- MP Dr Mark Robinson, December 12, 2011

"There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead." -- PM Ms Gillard, August 16, 2010

"The LNP's Mr Robinson said his party would release details of its fisheries plan as soon as Premier Anna Bligh announced the state election."
      Red Land Times 28 Nov 2011
    • Yesterday 09:28 PM #2
      Mike Delisser

Re: Freshwater Stocking Groups meet with Qld Fisheries

This is the media release from the FFSAQ.

F F S A Q
      INC.

Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland Inc.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      MEDIA RELEASE
      15th October 2012

FISHERS ARE “DUDDED” BY LNP GOVERNMENT ON BOAT
      LEVY CHARGE.
      “The LNP Government has shown a total disregard and respect to a funding initiative that used to
      contribute towards the enhancement of recreational fishing in Queensland. A Private Pleasure
      Vessel (PPV) levy, now known as a Recreational Use Fee (RUF) is a charge added to boat
      registrations since 1994. But now, the revenue derived from the fee is being allocated to the
      general administration of Fisheries Queensland, and
      NOT for recreational fishing purposes” Mr
      Robin Caddy said today. Mr Caddy is President of the Freshwater Fishing and Stocking
      Association of Queensland (FFSAQ). FFSAQ is the peak body organization representing
      freshwater fishers.
      Mr Caddy said “Boat owners are now being treated with contempt by the LNP Government by
      allocating the revenue raised by the fee to other areas outside the intent and guidelines of the
      original purpose”.
      Mr Les Kowitz, Executive Officer of FFSAQ has indicated that the concept was introduced by
      government as a recommendation of the State Government Inquiry into Recreational Fishing.
      The recommendation adopted by Cabinet was “A special purpose recreational fishing fee be
      imposed on registration fees for pleasure craft for fishing purposes”.
      This fee now raises some $4.6M annually.
      Monies in recent years have been partly used for activities such as freshwater fish stocking grants,
      kids fishing days, fishcare volunteers, fish tagging projects and recreational research assistance.
      All of these activities that were once funded from the boat registration levy no longer exist. The
      LNP government has simply grabbed the money and allocated it to general revenue. There was
      no consultation at all prior to the decision being made.
      “When the levy was first introduced, it was well accepted by boaties as it was being expended on
      specific purposes to enhance recreational fishing. But now boaties are irate that this is now not
      the case” Mr Caddy said.
      The Fisheries Minister has now a clear choice. The Minister must either reallocate the PPV/RUF
      funds back to its original purpose, or alternatively, remove the $18 levy from boat registrations.
      The Minister cannot have it both ways.

Queensland was once known as the “Smart State” it is now a “Sad State”.
      Contact for enquiries:
      Robin Caddy (FFSAQ President) 0431 101341
      Les Kowitz (FFSAQ Executive Officer 0438 631191

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
      Representing Queensland’s Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Associations.
      Postal Address: Phone: 07 41631191
      PO Box 311 Email: exec@ffsaq.com.au
      Nanango Q 4615 Web: www.ffsaq.com.au

HEY SMITHY
    not sure what this all means but after watching the four corners programme at about 1 or 2am this morning on the super trawler it would seem political partys are becoming wary of the fisherman vote
    may be a strategic move on the qld gov behalf to put out a spot fire.
    don't know anthing about sunfish or the integrity of this gov so ill just sit on the fence on this one.
    but its a postive thing watching the fishing community concerns popping up in politics and the media more frequently
    more power to the fishermen/ fisherladys

Sunfish's thoughts:
    he following are comments by Sunfish on statements made by the Minister

The Queensland Government fully supports recreational fishing in Queensland.
    Then why is its first act to cut funding to voluntary community recreational projects?

* The Recreational Use Fee (RUF -previously known as the Private Pleasure Vessels levy) is
    $18/yr. collected on recreational boat registrations. There is no change to the way RUF funds are being spent this year, from last year and the year before. This year the levy will raise $4.4 million.
    Answer - Not so- Specific programs have been cut such as Fish stocking, Fish tagging, Angler Education kids days, Fishcare Officers and all Sunfish funding. These were supported in 2011-12.
    The funds are fully expended on recreational fishing activity, which of course include wages for patrol officers and fisheries biologists as well as things like publication of recreational boating and fishing rules guides.
    Answer - the funds were intended to supplement a flying squad not enforcement wages. Rules guides are not readily available in bulk and wages are a Government budget responsibility.

* The $18 fee is not optional - if it is not paid, then the vessel will not be registered. The fee is collected through the ‘recreational ship registration’ charge through the Department of Transport and Main Roads on behalf of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and forestry for a range of functions to enhance recreational fisheries.
    Answer –Some advice from Dept. of Transport indicates it is optional and anyone can refuse to pay as long as they note the account accordingly and understand they will receive a pro rata registration e.g. 10months.

* Claims that the government has cut or redirected $2 million in funding from the RUF for non-recreational fishing use are simply not true.
    Answer - Increased registrations ($200k), no RFISH survey ($700k) and $1.3m non activities (as per list) add up to $2.1m being re allocated.

* The entire amount raised through RUF is provided to Fisheries Queensland and is used to fund services related only to recreational fishing.
    Answer - most are core business for government such as enforcement, fisheries management, research and wages. They are not part of a special purpose levy for enhancing recreational fisheries.
    * The government’s expenditure this year on recreational fisheries management and activities will be in excess of $10 million. The Recreational Use Fee will account for $4.4 million of this investment.
    Answer - Again most of the expenditure is core government business e.g. enforcement, research, managing fisheries as per the legislation. Our GST and taxes on fishing related purchases is well over $1b and that is what the GST is for.* This funding is in addition to the $10 million election commitment that will see enhanced monitoring of recreational fishing and a buyback of commercial netting licences.
    Answer - this is not part of the RUF and at present is a 3year program coming from the fisheries budget (May I suggest in part from RUF)
    * Fisheries Queensland will spend the RUF revenue on a range of services to support recreational fishing, including:

• Support for community-based education programs and consultation with the recreational fishing sector on proposed management arrangements.
    Answer - isn't this their job as a government agency paid for by GST and Taxes
    • Research and monitoring of fish stocks
    Answer - this is a government core responsibility not something anglers should have to pay
    for so public servants can do their job.

• Surveillance and response by the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol
    Answer - again enforcing the law is a government responsibility same as the police.
    • Protecting fish habitat.
    Answer - this is again a government responsibility under the law and offenders are fined.
    * In recognition of the impacts to specific programs supported by Sunfish and the recreational community, the Queensland Government has made an offer to Sunfish to continue funding some programs to the value of $100,000.
    Answer - We have been trying for months to access these and refused every time as the goal posts get changed. Last advice was to go to Sport and recreation. One final application has been pending for 2weeks.( and I believe it is again rejected)
    * To date, the only proposals received have not had a clear outcome for recreational fishers and indicate that Sunfish has intended for the funds to go towards Sunfish’s continued general operations.
    Answer - This is old news and is not so. Our only concern now is to have the money returned to former community projects. We have no current proposals for funding Sunfish with Fisheries Queensland or the Minister.
    * As has been made clear to all representative bodies, the Queensland Government does not support public funds being used in this way for administration.
    Answer - this is a special purpose levy paid by the boating fraternity and not a public tax. The monies do not go to consolidated revenue but direct to Fisheries Qld.

* We are looking for specific funding proposals such as kids fishing clinics, which cost $58,000 to run last year, and $40,000 to support Suntag’s program for tagging and releasing recreationally-caught fish.
    Answer - very politically convenient backflip and is contrary to the FQ advice.
    * Other delivery models are being looked at to ensure stocking continues to be supported, and that any developments that impact fish passage (also known as waterway barrier works) are properly considered.
    Answer - there is no proposal of the sort. The SIP provides money for impoundment stocking (about 50% of dams) and the RUF supported the rest including non-impoundments.
    REMARKS- In all the information supplied as a stock answer to representations is a whole lot of "pork barreling and political speaks" to try to cover up the RUF fees being redirected to wages and Government business. The RUF is no longer a separate amount but included in the Fisheries Queensland budget.
    DO NOT BE MISLED BY THE HALF TRUTH STATEMENTS BY THE MINISTERS OFFICE. READ THE ANSWERS and SEE WHO YOU BELIEVE.
    Answers and Remarks prepared by David Bateman AM, Chairman, Sunfish Queensland 19/10/2012

And fighting fire with fire:

Sunfish reply to the ministers open letter

Open letter to all Queensland anglers

THE $4.5M FACTS ON THE BOATING LEVY REALLOCATION

A recent “open letter to Queensland recreational fishers” by the Minister is full of pure “political electioneering, half-truths and inaccuracies” designed to stop organized constructive criticism of his and his department’s actions.
    The only issue Sunfish has with the Minister at present is the reallocation of the levy that boat owners pay in the order of $4.5m per annum. He seems to have other political issues not related to this problem.
    Let me be very specific in answer to some of his statements –
    The previous “Sunfish project contractual arrangements” with Fisheries Queensland for $213,000 had only $22,500 for Sunfish administration which included insurances and audit fees. All our elected Officers work voluntarily with no remunerations. The rest were for projects including Kids fishing days, Sunfish magazine, Take a kid fishing, Education programs and providing services and advice to Fisheries. They were fully approved by Fisheries Queensland and accounted for.
    Best check your facts Minister.
    Our latest submission, after 2 being rejected (one too long, one not acceptable as it included an AE coordinator fee) is for Angler Education programs only and not for Sunfish funding. This latest submission was for the princely sum of $100k to conduct fishing clinics and Take a kid fishing – NO ADMINISTRATIVE FUNDS WERE INCLUDED. It is still pending and in true “Yes Minister” style Fisheries and the Minister don’t seem to be talking to one another.
    Again Minister you need to update your information.
    In regard to membership Sunfish has 11 members representing all the major clubs and organizations in Queensland with some 45,000 individuals affiliated with those organizations. There are 700,000 recreational fishers in Queensland and even without a calculator it should read approx. 7%. Sunfish is pleased that at least 3% (21,000 anglers) in the survey knew they were a member of sunfish. All previous surveys showed 12% to 14% as the question was “do you belong to or have you been a club member “– nearly all clubs in Queensland are members of Sunfish.
    Minister please check your arithmetic and understand your stakeholder structures.
    The Minister’s political attempt to justify the use of the “special purpose boat levy” to prop up the Fisheries budget is just a Government money grab. This levy is only paid by boat owners for “recreational fishing initiatives and enhancement” and is not a public tax nor does it get paid to Treasury.
    The Minister seems to think that individual sections of the community (boating anglers)should be asked to pay for enforcing the law, signage at boat ramps, education programs, protecting the habitat, pest fish, research and monitoring, scientific assessment and policy development. The levy was not intended to pay for or subsidize wages and core business such as these.
    As a tax payer I would have thought Government core business and legislation requirements are funded by our taxes and the GST - same as the Police, National and Marine Park Rangers and other government inspectors. Obviously the Minister and the angling public have differing opinions.
    The $10m net buy back mentioned was negotiated between the Commercials, WWF and Sunfish as an election promise by the LNP to reduce netting effort. $1m is for assessment and monitoring and already covered in previous budgets. I would guess that the rest of the $9m will come out of the Fisheries budget and we can only wonder who is actually paying for it. $3m is committed for this year so it will probably take the full 3 years to complete.
    Correspondence from Fisheries Queensland in 2010 clearly spells out what programs, previously funded by the RUF, are to be cut - these were not mentioned by the Minister in his letter as departmental savings and relevant ones to recreational fishers are as follows –
    • Ceasing the Industry Development Program for commercial and recreational fishing and aquaculture (this includes kids fishing events)
    • Ceasing the Fishcare Volunteer Program
    • Ceasing operational activity for waterway barrier works construction (freshwater)
    • Scaling back the freshwater fishing program – focus of activity will be on Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme, freshwater stocking policy, native fish scientific expertise and pest and noxious fish.
    • Not providing funding for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (a decision for this year only, with review in future years).
    • Marine ecology group (seagrass monitoring) transitioning across to James Cook University.
    • and Several other administrative changes.
    Based on these cuts and the budget figures for the Recreational Use Fee (RUF) supplied by Fisheries Queensland for the 2010-2011 year and with increased boat numbers, it will reallocate at least $1.5m to general fisheries revenue along with an amount of over $3m already being used from the RUF.
    From this budget it would appear that the major casualties for the recreational fishing sector are Sunfish funding $20k, Suntag tagging project $53k, Sunfish project work $150k, Community Projects (kids fishing days) $58k, Rec fishing unit $352k, Fishcare volunteers $121k, Marine Habitat assessment $115k, Fishway teams $275k, non-SIP stocking $198k and FRDC research grant $120k.
    These were NOT government funds but a levy for special purposes with established programs for the past 18 years supported by both sides of government. Most involving voluntary recreational community activities will now cease unless additional sponsorship is found from the public.
    As a vocal group trying to ensure that recreational fishers get a fair deal it seems that we are caught in the middle of the confusion between the Minister and his Fisheries Department who are sending mixed messages.
    As the peak recreational fishing organization in Queensland we are happy to work with the government on its published initiatives stated in the LNP policy document of “a special focus on important recreational fishing areas” and “increased recreational fishing opportunities”. The statements by the now Premier “that recreational fishing would be better off under the LNP” were encouraging but 6 months down the track we have seen little happening or being proposed. A is a well-known political ploy is a final “action flurry” immediately prior to the election to get our support but be aware anglers have long memories.
    We are still awaiting answers to letters sent to both the Premier and the Minister regarding these new “initiatives” as to when and how they will occur.
    Sunfish is now a purely self-funded voluntary body with no ties to the Government and will now remain independent due to the recent generous sponsorships from concerned public and businesses.

David Bateman AM,
    Chairman
    Sunfish Qld Inc

19th October, 2012

Bloody hell there seems a lot of waffle in all those long quotes.
    A couple of points I picked up on whilst having a cuppa
    When I took over the Fisheries portfolio, I was disappointed to learn that some fishing groups such as Sunfish had been allowed to, and were, using government funds for their administration.

I believe the government must concentrate on investing in programs that directly support fishers – all fishers, not just those affiliated with a specific group. This is why the Newman Government has redirected this funding. I believe administration of an industry body such as Sunfish should be paid for by its members. To give you an example, in April this year, Sunfish sent my office a one page proposal asking for $242,000 - proposing the bulk of those funds to go towards administration, operational funding and consultants.

It seems unfair that the money intended to benefit all recreational fishers would go towards a group that represented only three per cent of the 700,000 recreational fishers in Queensland. I would rather see all recreational fishers benefit from every dollar of our investment.

Well I was led to believe sunfish were the peak organisation representing recreational anglers. If I remember it even says so on their website.
    I was also led to believe funding to them was through the PUV and administration costs was included in that funding. Who knows what the truth is? Anybody??

REMARKS- In all the information supplied as a stock answer to representations is a whole lot of "pork barreling and political speaks" to try to cover up the RUF fees being redirected to wages and Government business. The RUF is no longer a separate amount but included in the Fisheries Queensland budget.
    Huh?? I thought the PUV was never mention to be included in consolidated revenue. Somethings changed there...The RUF is no longer a separate amount but included in the Fisheries Queensland budget.
    So we can chose to opt out of the PUV??? Let's all do so. If we do who pays the Fisheries Inspectors?

I'm so confused
    I reckon Judge Judy could sum it all up in one phrase.....
    "That sounds like a lot of who shot John".
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Like the response about the RUF being optional.
    * The $18 fee is not optional - if it is not paid, then the vessel will not be registered. The fee is collected through the ‘recreational ship registration’ charge through the Department of Transport and Main Roads on behalf of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and forestry for a range of functions to enhance recreational fisheries.
    Answer –Some advice from Dept. of Transport indicates it is optional and anyone can refuse to pay as long as they note the account accordingly and understand they will receive a pro rata registration e.g. 10months.

Re: Clarification of RUF payment

There has been some conflicting information regarding the payment of the Recreational Use Fee (RUF) component of recreational vessel registrations. The Department of Transport and Main Roads have advised that RUF is a part of the total registration costs of the vessel. Accordingly, if the full registration fee is not paid, then the vessel would be considered to be not registered in Queensland and subject to a possible penalty if used.

thanks for the clarification Mr Fisheries
    Is there any response to all of the above posts/questions/statements/queries?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    thanks for the clarification Mr Fisheries
    Is there any response to all of the above posts/questions/statements/queries?
    Of course not!!
    They've already got that money!!
    Just making certain they don't miss out.