Thread: Wide Bay Bar Crossing

Wide Bay Bar Crossing

G'day guys and girls,

I'm looking forward to a week long trip to Rainbow Beach on the 15th and am looking for some insider knowledge for the bar crossing up there.

Now I know to contact the VMR for the latest GPS marks, and I see other old threads about fisherman's gutter, and finally I understand it's best to cross on a run in tide. However i'm wandering if there is any further info that could be learned from you guys? Does the VMR offer GPS marks for fishermans gutter for example?

I was also wandering if there's going to be other Ausfishers in the area over that week that might want to catch up for either a tag along through the bar, or jump on board for a trip offshore for a day, obviously were looking for an experience hand though. Or you may know of someone who heads out often that we can chat to whilst up that way.

But if all else fails we'll stick to what we know best about coastal bars and not go out if in doubt. (I'll bloody drive to 1770 instead )

Re: Wide Bay Bar Crossing

The Coast Guard don't recommend Fisherman's but in any weather with a W in it, it is the best option on a run-in tide. I have marks I go off but I wouldn't give them out if there was an accident or whatever. On the paper chart and Navonics cartography it is pretty clear. It is where the contours bunch up. When you come out from Inskip it is about 400m out and then running nearly in a straight line back to Rainbow Beach. You should see the gutter clearly. If you can't, don't go out. If you see one build up you can build up speed and head a bit back to the beach and get around it. Sometimes it feels like it is only 200-300m off the beach. Just depends. Worst case, you stuff up and have to swim it is only a couple of hundred metres unlike the main bar where you might be a mile and half out to sea.

Re: Wide Bay Bar Crossing

Worst case you drown. Several have and friends that have crossed fishermans hundreds of times have still come to grief. Can often be a millpond but take care with swell.